Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof down with made bed?

monster-mash

monster-mash

Vehicle
N/A
Sometimes we move around from site to site maybe two or three three times a week dependant on whats booked etc my question is can you lower the roof fully onto a laid out quilt (pillows removed), reason i ask is we currently put everything away before we move off then get it all out again.

I'm sure I've read it somewhere about deforming the roof if things (even soft squishy pillows) are left up there...

I always remove everything apart from the sheet used as a mattress cover.
This is one of the things that I'm overly paranoid about. When I'm dropping the roof I check and double check.
Just to make sure I've not left a book or my glasses case up there.

But... as the roof is curved in both directions there is space in the middle when down. I often leave valuables like laptop, passports up there as I feel it’s more secure than the “safe”. It would take me a lot longer to open the roof without the ignition key than it would take me to open the safe without its key.

Oh and a lot more accessible too as wardrobe is normally full of stuff.

We leave a top quality Siberian Goose Down summer duvet (4.5 tog) up there. Doing up the clips is a bit tight, but no problems with the roof. The first thing to give would be the curved bed slats, then the somewhat feeble trim below.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We leave a top quality Siberian Goose Down summer duvet (4.5 tog) up there. Doing up the clips is a bit tight, but no problems with the roof. The first thing to give would be the curved bed slats, then the somewhat feeble trim below.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I think you have a Beach, I certainly would not risk leaving a duvet in the roof in an Ocean

Mmm i think maybe the mattress sheet but that's about it then better safe than sorry. Thank you very much all of you for your valuable input.
Happy holidays.

I have an ocean and posted à similar question about leaving a mattress topper up there recently. I bought it s/h and the previous owner reported no problems closing the roof leaving it in situ. I already have an internal Iso topper and it closes OK with that. When I tried it very carefully with both it latched OK at the front but didn't fully close the seal at the rear. As others have said not worth the risk.

Our van has the lightweight cloth and stick night blinds. These are very thin and we lay them flat on the the top mattress for travel. The roof closes well and it seems to have worked well for, now, 6 years. Otherwise I would not put anything else up there

I have a 1.2 cm thick shelf, about 18” wide and about 4’ or so long ( it fits across the roof opening over the front seats when parked up ), No Problem.

But first time I slid it into the roof space with the roof down.

Back