Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof error 1000. Hi, I've looked at previous posts on this... Pressing the round button or the "back" button for 5 seconds doesn't erase the error?

amdby

amdby

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, So my 2012 Cali has roof error message , roof won't move, vw diagnosis gives error 1000, but pressing button (or back button) for 5 seconds doesn't do anything. Roof looks closed but, as I have roof bars fitted, I'm able to physically lift it about an inch so maybe it's not locked shut. Am reluctant to take it to main dealer of there is an easy fix... Thanks for any advice

Hi, So my 2012 Cali has roof error message , roof won't move, vw diagnosis gives error 1000, but pressing button (or back button) for 5 seconds doesn't do anything. Roof looks closed but, as I have roof bars fitted, I'm able to physically lift it about an inch so maybe it's not locked shut. Am reluctant to take it to main dealer of there is an easy fix... Thanks for any advice
I’m afraid that Error relates to the position sensors on the hydraulic rams. There are 4 sensors and 1 to all 4 may need replacing.

See here.

Don't envy you.
Try and get a 12v supply onto the pump or what happens when you open the dump valve ?
Can you lift it up to gain access to the hall switches on the rams?

Hi - did you get your roof resolved? My 2012 SE is with the main dealer in Guildford for the past 2 days with similar issues, and they haven't yet been able to resolve lifting it at all to identify if it's sensors, loom, rams or whatever! It's turning into an expensive and frustrating issue

Hi - did you get your roof resolved? My 2012 SE is with the main dealer in Guildford for the past 2 days with similar issues, and they haven't yet been able to resolve lifting it at all to identify if it's sensors, loom, rams or whatever! It's turning into an expensive and frustrating issue
JT, they will just run up the bill for you. If you are up to tackling the issue on your own - many on here have, there are many posts on this forum that may help. It is usually the sensors ... but if you describe the problem that got you to take the van to the dealers, that may help with a more focussed response to address your query.

If I were in your place, just get the van back and deal with the issue on your own if you are able to. Else, people on here may be able to recommend independents who can do a good job for you.

PS: welcome on board.

The main dealer in Swansea lifted my roof with ease when I had very similar issues. Replaced 2 x sensors, but I had to buy the loom for them to snip off the sensors and replace. It was about £750 all in. They had my van for a morning.

Was the roof open symbol flashing when the roof was stuck down? If so, probably sensors.
If the roof just won’t go up, it could be the hydraulic pump.

A good garage should have some idea. If they don’t, they’re likely to go fishing and replace everything at your expense.

In the meantime I would read as much as you can on the various threads. Hope you get it fixed.

JT, they will just run up the bill for you. If you are up to tackling the issue on your own - many on here have, there are many posts on this forum that may help. It is usually the sensors ... but if you describe the problem that got you to take the van to the dealers, that may help with a more focussed response to address your query.

If I were in your place, just get the van back and deal with the issue on your own if you are able to. Else, people on here may be able to recommend independents who can do a good job for you.

PS: welcome on board.
Many thanks for your reply- the code had come up as the sensor related one, and it says roof open, but it won’t motor up at all, when the issue first arose in the Autumn it sounded as though the motor was trying to drive, but that doesn’t happen at all now. I’ll speak to them first thing and see if they have any idea how they’re going to lift the roof enough to get more insight, but as suggested will grab it back if they are still fishing for answers- thank you

Was the roof open symbol flashing when the roof was stuck down? If so, probably sensors.
If the roof just won’t go up, it could be the hydraulic pump.

A good garage should have some idea. If they don’t, they’re likely to go fishing and replace everything at your expense.

In the meantime I would read as much as you can on the various threads. Hope you get it fixed.
Having had really poor service with the dealer I’ve used near Heathrow I’d thought the Guildford dealer was much more informed about Cali’s but not looking promising at the moment - thanks for your prompts though

The main dealer in Swansea lifted my roof with ease when I had very similar issues. Replaced 2 x sensors, but I had to buy the loom for them to snip off the sensors and replace. It was about £750 all in. They had my van for a morning.
That’s in line with what I thought they’d be doing with mine, I’ll l reference your outcome when I speak to them tomorrow - many thanks

That’s in line with what I thought they’d be doing with mine, I’ll l reference your outcome when I speak to them tomorrow - many thanks
You don't have to buy the whole loom. The sensor it seems is a common item across many vag and BMW vehicles. If you search on the site for roof sensor part number, it should come up. On the phone now, and prefer the desktop search, so if you need and cannot find the part number, do post on here. Will find it out.

You don't have to buy the whole loom. The sensor it seems is a common item across many vag and BMW vehicles. If you search on the site for roof sensor part number, it should come up. On the phone now, and prefer the desktop search, so if you need and cannot find the part number, do post on here. Will find it out.
Excellent

I bought the Halls sensors from BMW Supplies (about £15 each) but VW wouldn’t fit them - they would only fit if I bought the loom. If I could’ve got the roof up I would have tackled the job myself but didn’t think I had the skill set to lift roof and VW wouldn’t tell me how! I have since read that it is possible if your confident. The guidance by @Lambeth Cali is excellent.

I bought the Halls sensors from BMW Supplies (about £15 each) but VW wouldn’t fit them - they would only fit if I bought the loom. If I could’ve got the roof up I would have tackled the job myself but didn’t think I had the skill set to lift roof and VW wouldn’t tell me how! I have since read that it is possible if your confident. The guidance by @Lambeth Cali is excellent.
Great . The lifting the roof is a challenge for the dealer, so that’s the first challenge
Thanks

If mine ever goes (touch wood, but it has been grumpy recently) then I will try and document \ video the process. The pump is electrically very simple so once you can see it, I believe prod it with 12 volts and it will go either up or down. Reverse polarity to reverse direction.

Looks like it needs a load of trim off the headlining first but nothing that a franchise dealer shouldn't manage in 30 minutes...

Back