Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof fault error message

R

roadrunner 45

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello All,

When I started my Cali this week , the control panel started beeping with an error message " roof fault" and "roof open" . The roof is closed and looks fine to me , I then tried to open , to see if this would fix error , but it would not allow me to open.
I have rang local dealer , who said they would check with their diagnostic for about £110 and see what happens.
Any help would be much appreciated , the Cali is 2011.
I am in the Wimborne area is there a alternative to taking it to the main dealer.
Thanks

Check the Control Panel for Diagnostic codes , note any and then clear them and retry.

Press and hold R lower button and then Press Button. New Menu appears. Scroll down to Diagnostic or Volkswagon. Select and view any codes. Then select Reset and back to menu. Switch Off Panel by pressing L lower button. Wait 30 secs and restart by pressing L Lower again. Try roof? Any luck?

I am getting this same error. I have gone into the diagnostic menu and can confirm that there is a fault code '1000' but I don't know how to clear it. Is there a particular button or is it a menu choice that I need to navigate to with the dial? I have tried multiple options and sequences to no effect.

I am getting this same error. I have gone into the diagnostic menu and can confirm that there is a fault code '1000' but I don't know how to clear it. Is there a particular button or is it a menu choice that I need to navigate to with the dial? I have tried multiple options and sequences to no effect.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Thanks WG. I have managed to reset the fault, but not by the method that you detail in your post above. I was good for steps 1-5, but pressing the centre button again to delete errors (step 6) did not work - the error remained. Based on your last comment would this suggest that it is a mechanical issue?

I was able to clear the fault by trying to raise the roof (did so for about 1/2 second before stopping) and then trying to close (again - 1/2 second before stopping, but doing it again seemed to work). After this the control panel registered the roof was closed, the error message was clear and I was able to turn the control panel off. Will continue to monitor - have a long drive tomorrow - and I have it booked in for a service in the next week which I will get them to have a close look for me.

Thanks WG. I have managed to reset the fault, but not by the method that you detail in your post above. I was good for steps 1-5, but pressing the centre button again to delete errors (step 6) did not work - the error remained. Based on your last comment would this suggest that it is a mechanical issue?

I was able to clear the fault by trying to raise the roof (did so for about 1/2 second before stopping) and then trying to close (again - 1/2 second before stopping, but doing it again seemed to work). After this the control panel registered the roof was closed, the error message was clear and I was able to turn the control panel off. Will continue to monitor - have a long drive tomorrow - and I have it booked in for a service in the next week which I will get them to have a close look for me.
Seems as if that could be the case as the Code doesn’t figure in the list I have. Sounds as if it hadn’t locked properly which is a function of the hydraulics. You must hold the button, when closing, until the pump stops not until the roof appears closed as the lock might not engage properly.

Hi roadrunner or Ken M - what were the fixes for your faults in the end ? I seem to have the same symptoms on my 2012 California.

G’day Thomash, Mine is booked in at the dealer for next week so should be able to let you know in a weeks time.
Ken

Any news Ken ? I've had mine looked at whilst getting a new inverter fitted (separate job) and they reckon it is the CCU.

G'day Thomash, Swindon Van Centre was unable to do the diagnostics on the roof unit so I have to take it to Bristol. Have it booked in for mid Apr. Apart from the ongoing roof fault message, the roof seems to be working alright at present, however, we are planning on heading down to Cornwall for a week at Easter. Hoping that it won't get worst.

Thanks for that Ken. My roof has stopped working altogether now. Hope you have fun in Cornwall and the rood behaves. Heath.

Hiya. We had the same thing. Error code 1000. Eventually the dealer worked it out and we have had to have the roof wiring loom replaced £430!!!!! Good luck

Hi Emma and thanks for the information. Which dealer did the work ? I'm thinking I will put the dealer we take ours to in touch with them. Heath.

Hiy
Hi Emma and thanks for the information. Which dealer did the work ? I'm thinking I will put the dealer we take ours to in touch with them. Heath.
a. So sorry I haven’t replied sooner, we’ve been in France. Our dealer is lookers in peasmarsh Guildford. It was the sensor which went. Good luck, I hope you get it fixed!!

Perfect, thanks Emma - we use the same dealer as you, they are going to have a look at ours on Wednesday. Heath.

Good luck!! Hope you get it fixed!!

Cheers Emma - can you remember when they fixed yours ?

• Informative
Reactions: Les
Hiya. We had the same thing. Error code 1000. Eventually the dealer worked it out and we have had to have the roof wiring loom replaced £430!!!!! Good luck

We have just been quoted £607 for this. Where did you get yours done? We are doubly upset as the roof worked fine before it went in for its corrosion repair which was also required on the roof as well as the front panels. VW say it is nothing to do with them. Don't know if anyone else has had this same issue linked to the VW repair?

That makes me nervous!! Our Cali is off to have its corrosion fixed in May (finally!) I hope they don’t mess it up!! We went to Lookers in Guildford. I checked whether this wasn’t something that got changed when they did the roof and they reassured me it wasn’t. Error code 1000 is a sensor problem. Good luck

Hi - my error code was cleared as part of some investigation / diagnosis work by Accutek in Winchester (who also fitted a new inverter for me). They couldn't be sure what the issue was so I sent it to the dealer (also Lookers in Guildford) for a full check. After the error code cleared the roof has returned to normal operation and the dealers could find no fault having done a full inspection and having had the experience of sorting Emma's (above). We had the roof corrosion issue fixed 18 months ago, for us that had no affect on roof operation before or after the warranty corrosion work. Good luck with getting it sorted.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.
Hi
Thanks for the guidance.
I get as far as step 5 and then it says error 1000 at the top. Underneath it says ERASE PRESS ESC 5S. Which is the escape button? Is 5S five times?
Cheers

Hi everyone... I have same issue, roof not working at all, error code 1000 and erase:press escape 5s
Trying to get it looked at but all Vw between Cornwall and Portsmouth booked up. And we leave on weekend for three weeks in van. Which now looks really difficult... help!!!