Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof motor ticking noises

RonB

RonB

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi, we are currently in France heading north to catch ferry on Saturday. Have an intermittent ticking noise (not dissimilar to ticking sound you hear from hot engine cooling down), appearing to come from left side hydraulic motor when roof is elevated. At the moment it is generally about 4 or 5 regular taps followed by a gap. This first happened earlier in year and was very intermittent, and I assumed that it was connected to the roof re-tensioning on its 10 hour cycle, which it does on a regular basis. However it was doing it about every 20 seconds last night although it began to slow up and eventually stopped after a couple of hours or so, although it totally disrupted our sleep. I got up two times and turned on the ignition and nominally lowered then raised the roof during this period, which seemed to stop it for a bit but then it started again.

We have just stopped for night in campsite, raised the roof and it started ticking, very much like a dripping tap for about an hour and has now stopped. We will lower roof and sleep downstairs tonight as couldn't bear another disrupted sleep. Should say there doesn't appear to be any problems with control panel display or roof raising/lowering as mentioned on other threads. The roof will dip on LH side only but seems to re-tension without problem. I can't find any other mention of this ticking only problem on forum.

I have a Cali 2013 SE Manual. Shouldn't be a problem getting back but any advice would be welcome prior to getting home and contacting dealer.

Thanks Ron

Back