Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Popped open when driving

Tloeg

Tloeg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Picked up a New VW Cali Ocean yesterday all good until I hit the dual carriageway and drove at 60mp then the roof popped open - I pulled over and raised the roof and closed it again even though the system said it was completed and locked in place it was not then repeated the proses again and this time it closed.

Is this a common fault?

A1A830D2-92EE-4EF0-8584-8786F218D45E.jpeg

For me it's not common. Mine has never opened while driving. But mine is a T5.1 from 2009.
I have read others mentioning this too here on the forum, but it certainly is not common.

Picked up a New VW Cali Ocean yesterday all good until I hit the dual carriageway and drove at 60mp then the roof popped open - I pulled over and raised the roof and closed it again even though the system said it was completed and locked in place it was not then repeated the proses again and this time it closed.

Is this a common fault?

View attachment 68853
I don’t think its a common problem and shouldn’t happen if the roof closing process has been completed. If the last person to close the roof was the dealer there’s a good chance it was not done properly.
Assuming the process is the same as the T5, then you hold the button until the roof has lowered and the sound of the pump changes, then you can release the button and the roof will continue to close and lock in place. The display will show roof closed.
If it was due to the dealer it’s worth checking that the canvas has not been damaged by the scissor mechanism, another potential result of not reading the handbook and incorrect closing.

has your mattress moved? (have you removed the plastic from it so that it is held in place with its Velcro?)

Think if @Loz says and it isn't the mattress that has moved (although this is often it moving back and stopping the rear closing) I would use the tie-down straps until you can get it back to VW.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Loz
I’ve never heard of this happening...
Last week, I had 10 lengths of 4.6m 4x2 on the roof and it stayed shut on the dual carriageway. As you can imagine, that’s quite a bit of weight

That must have been quite alarming & fortunate it didnt cause any further incident.
Hopefully it was just due to not being closed properly tight - must admit although the manual roof is extra workout I am comforted with the knowledge its strapped down tight!
Hope you get it sorted & can enjoy your new van

Yes as suggested previously, do a thorough check of the roof mechanism and canvas.

It is so easy for the canvas to get trapped whilst closing - a bungee will help.

If additional bedding is left on the mattress, this too can cause the roof to not close fully. It can also buckle the roof side too.

Make sure you have the door open when closing the roof so not to create pressure on the canvas.

Get in to the habit of checking that the 4 corners of the roof are fully closed before driving away.

For me it's not common. Mine has never opened while driving. But mine is a T5.1 from 2009.
I have read others mentioning this too here on the forum, but it certainly is not common.

I will look through the forum and thanks!

I don’t think its a common problem and shouldn’t happen if the roof closing process has been completed. If the last person to close the roof was the dealer there’s a good chance it was not done properly.
Assuming the process is the same as the T5, then you hold the button until the roof has lowered and the sound of the pump changes, then you can release the button and the roof will continue to close and lock in place. The display will show roof closed.
If it was due to the dealer it’s worth checking that the canvas has not been damaged by the scissor mechanism, another potential result of not reading the handbook and incorrect closing.
Yes it was the dealer who last closed the roof prior to me driving off and 20 mins later the roof popped open ... i will check the roof for damage as you highlighted ... thks

has your mattress moved? (have you removed the plastic from it so that it is held in place with its Velcro?)
I have not opened the roof since I closed it - I am waiting for the dealer to come back... but will check ... thanks

That must have been quite alarming & fortunate it didnt cause any further incident.
Hopefully it was just due to not being closed properly tight - must admit although the manual roof is extra workout I am comforted with the knowledge its strapped down tight!
Hope you get it sorted & can enjoy your new van

Yes. It was bit interesting and the reaction from the other drivers - hopefully the dealership will come forward today so I can start enjoying it.

Think if @Loz says and it isn't the mattress that has moved (although this is often it moving back and stopping the rear closing) I would use the tie-down straps until you can get it back to VW.

yes will do thanks for the advise.

Out of interest did you get any audible warnings before your roof opened ....either a regular high pitched single beep or a different more definite warning sound.
We have a 2007 T5 model that ONLY DURING HOT WEATHER such as that experienced when we take the vehicle abroad we get both. The display panel also flashed that the roof is not closed properly.
The beep is a more annoying than anything else but the louder audible is quite stressful when going 60mph down a French autoroute. I have to say .....our roof has never opened whilst driving and we check it carefully when closing with a visual inspection as it closes and after it has finished closing. The first year it happened we strung a racket strap over the roof and tied it to the hand holds either side inside the cabin.---just in case the roof opened.

We did at all times get the correct sounds and visual confirmation on the display panel that the roof has closed
I have been told that early T5's suffered from over sensitive pump/ram sensors that are affected by heat.
Some other forum members with early California's had experienced the same thing during hot weather and had either paid to have the sensors changed ( expensive !!! ) or had tried to shield the sensors using aluminium foil.
(I did this with limited effect ).
I am now resigned to the fact that the sensors are giving false readings and that the roof is not in fact open and that it only happens now and again during abnormally hot weather. More annoying than anything else.

It never happens here in the UK : ) ......which tends to support my conclusions.

Its a pity that VW did not do a belt and braces design that had a internal manual locking mechanism ...something similar to manual lift up roofs that should the hydraulic system fail the roof would never lift. ?

There are other posts about it on the forums.

Is this a common fault?

View attachment 68853
Hi - mines done it once and tbh I’m fairly sure the canvas was trapped in it - you do have to be really careful to ensure the canvas remains in side and does not get trapped as the top closes

Hi - mines done it once and tbh I’m fairly sure the canvas was trapped in it - you do have to be really careful to ensure the canvas remains in side and does not get trapped as the top closes
Thanks for the heads up will check

Out of interest did you get any audible warnings before your roof opened ....either a regular high pitched single beep or a different more definite warning sound.
We have a 2007 T5 model that ONLY DURING HOT WEATHER such as that experienced when we take the vehicle abroad we get both. The display panel also flashed that the roof is not closed properly.
The beep is a more annoying than anything else but the louder audible is quite stressful when going 60mph down a French autoroute. I have to say .....our roof has never opened whilst driving and we check it carefully when closing with a visual inspection as it closes and after it has finished closing. The first year it happened we strung a racket strap over the roof and tied it to the hand holds either side inside the cabin.---just in case the roof opened.

We did at all times get the correct sounds and visual confirmation on the display panel that the roof has closed
I have been told that early T5's suffered from over sensitive pump/ram sensors that are affected by heat.
Some other forum members with early California's had experienced the same thing during hot weather and had either paid to have the sensors changed ( expensive !!! ) or had tried to shield the sensors using aluminium foil.
(I did this with limited effect ).
I am now resigned to the fact that the sensors are giving false readings and that the roof is not in fact open and that it only happens now and again during abnormally hot weather. More annoying than anything else.

It never happens here in the UK : ) ......which tends to support my conclusions.

Its a pity that VW did not do a belt and braces design that had a internal manual locking mechanism ...something similar to manual lift up roofs that should the hydraulic system fail the roof would never lift. ?

There are other posts about it on the forums.

No audible warning, the air changed in the cabin, and the back locker opened.

I put it down to the salesperson not closing the roof when demonstrating the opening and closing action as highlighted by (ArunAlec) its been fine ever since and I have been following the advice that was given on this forum ever since. . Doing my checks.

I will search the rest of the forum. Thks

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP ( Inchcape Volkswagen Van Center Manchester Fifth Ave, Village Way, Trafford Park, Stretford, Manchester M17 1JL ) in Nov 2020 I purchased a California Ocean for over £72,000 which was not fit for purpose numerous faults on pick up. Then abysmal customer service from this dealership I have only received one call in Nov telling me how sorry they were and how the manager wanted to call - still waiting for that call and the Cali is still not repaired 30th January 2021 nearly four months.

This is my first Volkswagen. Because of the number of manufacturing defects, quality issues with the Cali, the lack of urgency to resolve these problems and terrible customer service, this has [compromised] my experience with the Vehicle and Volkswagen as a brand.

My experience:

1.Driving from the dealership on the motorway, the roof popped open on the outside lane because somebody at the dealership had not closed it properly. (very dangerous).
2. The back cupboard door swings open every time under braking - from purchase.
3. The water tank has a fast leak, which means I can't use the shower or the taps - from purchase.
4. The third day of ownership, the rear passenger window dropped and would not open.
5. Lights are flashing under the sink. - from purchase.
6.The first visit to the service centre the only repair carried out was two windows oiled after five days of then having the Cali.
7. Second visit to the service centre the door that was ordered from Germany arrived with parts missing, and the cupboard door was not fit for the purpose.
8. No, follow up calls since Nov from this dealership who sold me The California.

I understand that things can go wrong, but a sign of a good company is what it does to correct the problems that will inform me about that companies moral compass and leadership.

The above tells me everything I need to know.

Sorry to read of your awful experience. Have you already escalated to VW customer services?

Sorry to read of your awful experience. Have you already escalated to VW customer services?

Yes I contacted VW Germany and received a call from below and lets see if it makes a difference - Have a good weekend.

Customer Relations Manager - Executive Office

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T
0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk