Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Protection-Bungee - Right way to fit?

Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I bought one of these for my brother in law. He's used it but says the roof sprung open slightly so has discarded it.
Is there a right way and a wrong way to put it on? Haven't been able to see what he's done as he lives a way away.
Mine works a treat!

I bought one of these for my brother in law. He's used it but says the roof sprung open slightly so has discarded it.
Is there a right way and a wrong way to put it on? Haven't been able to see what he's done as he lives a way away.
Mine works a treat!
What does he mean " Sprung open slightly ".
He did thread it behind the metal support and next to the canvas?

Mine works a treat!
For those struggling - it goes over the roof and under the van - i thread mine through the door handles for added security. Make sure the exhaust pipe is not too hot - works a treat and should help prevent the roof popping open ........ and the doors

Hmmm, yes, the easiest trick in the world to boost one's own ego is to point holes in someone else's problem. Congratulations to anyone who does that. If that's you then maybe you need hep with your own ego as clearly struggling.

Not directly aimed at @CALI FATE as I don't know you, but unfortunately that's the way your post comes across so you may want to edit it to be more welcoming.

Back to the thread. If the roof is popping out, then as @WelshGas is asking - it could be that they have forgotten to open the windows in the roof / doors and sliding door to let air out - hence the popping.

Regarding the bungee itself - I mention on a related thread not to tie it too tight or it will degrade quicker - but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

If you can get more details that would be really informative here. Thanks.

What does he mean " Sprung open slightly ".
He did thread it behind the metal support and next to the canvas?

Bit more clarification. Bungee fitted as required around canvas. Roof closed. Drove a few miles over rough roadworks. When parked noticed that there was slight gap in roof as it hadn't closed properly. Room had kink on each side. When roof raised and lowered one side lowered slower than the other. Don't know why.
Thought bungee caused problem but can't see it myself as it draws bellows in away from scissor mechanism.
Going in to VW for further investigation.

These are some written instructions I found for putting on the Bellows Bungee
Bellows Bungee .jpg

Bit more clarification. Bungee fitted as required around canvas. Roof closed. Drove a few miles over rough roadworks. When parked noticed that there was slight gap in roof as it hadn't closed properly. Room had kink on each side. When roof raised and lowered one side lowered slower than the other. Don't know why.
Thought bungee caused problem but can't see it myself as it draws bellows in away from scissor mechanism.
Going in to VW for further investigation.

Suspect he has the same problem as me...wonky roof. Quite a common problem as I understand it. Sides come down differently. They have fitted new bellows and a new gas strut (?) to mine.

Suspect he has the same problem as me...wonky roof. Quite a common problem as I understand it. Sides come down differently. They have fitted new bellows and a new gas strut (?) to mine.

You're right. The bellows and roof were replaced. £3500! Luckily under warranty!!

Mine ( regularly used ) also came down slightly unevenly then latterly began to sag slightly after c.10 minutes. It transpired it required a new roof pump (£1600) fortunately under warranty. I asked to keep the faulty pump but was informed by the sales advisor ( South Hereford ) that it had to be sent back to the factory for analysis. There would also be no feedback from VW.

Mine ( regularly used ) also came down slightly unevenly then latterly began to sag slightly after c.10 minutes. It transpired it required a new roof pump (£1600) fortunately under warranty. I asked to keep the faulty pump but was informed by the sales advisor ( South Hereford ) that it had to be sent back to the factory for analysis. There would also be no feedback from VW.

Worries me what happens if the fault occurs out of warranty. A hefty bill no doubt for what clearly is a manufacturering fault.

Don't forget there are an awful lot of things in the California that are bought in from a 3rd party and the hydraulic pump would be one of them. By contract the supplier would have to bear the cost of the warranty repair and labour, not VW, and contractually have the part returned to them for examination. VW would not be interested in the reason for the failure but the manufacturer would be, because too many returns and they could lose the contract.
Glad you got it sorted.

I (hopefully) collect my Cali tomorrow after repairs to the wonky roof and replacement control panel! I have only had it a few weeks :( Thank goodness for the warranty. Mine is two years old so I have a year remaining. I will be watching everything else with an eagle eye to get it fixed in the timescale. Quite horrifying really...

Back