Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof repair @Twickenham anyone???

BeachyBird

BeachyBird

Vehicle
T5 Beach
2015 Beach. We have been told by Listers VW Droitwich we have the roof oxidation/corrosion. It will have to be sent to a place in Twickenham so looking for anyone with experience of this repair and repairer. Why on earth do they need the vehicle for 6 weeks what exactly do they do for the repair, this is only the edge of the roof nothing to do with the front panel. They can’t fit it in till 2020 but the whole thing makes me very nervous. Any feed back on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Hi , here on the mainland i had my roof done under warrenty ...1 week means 5 working days to do the job .
Been reading sevral posts on the forum about you guys in the UK have to let your Cali's go for weeks even months.....can not understand why they need it so long .
First day taking everything off and work on corrosion.
Second day primer
Thirth day finish paint
Forth day .....dry-out paint , if even needed ?
Fith day re-assembling
It's as simple as that .
Where i went they do 2-3 Calis a week !

Hi , here on the mainland i had my roof done under warrenty ...1 week means 5 working days to do the job .
Been reading sevral posts on the forum about you guys in the UK have to let your Cali's go for weeks even months.....can not understand why they need it so long .
First day taking everything off and work on corrosion.
Second day primer
Thirth day finish paint
Forth day .....dry-out paint , if even needed ?
Fith day re-assembling
It's as simple as that .
Where i went they do 2-3 Calis a week !
Yes we have a friend in Germany took 5 days. That’s what makes me very nervous. I don’t want my Cali just sitting in some yard with or without the roof for weeks.CRAZY

2015 Beach. We have been told by Listers VW Droitwich we have the roof oxidation/corrosion. It will have to be sent to a place in Twickenham so looking for anyone with experience of this repair and repairer. Why on earth do they need the vehicle for 6 weeks what exactly do they do for the repair, this is only the edge of the roof nothing to do with the front panel. They can’t fit it in till 2020 but the whole thing makes me very nervous. Any feed back on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Contact VW Customer Care and query the 6 weeks and insist on a Courtesy vehicle of similar capabilities.

My van had the front panel repair done with them just before last Christmas. Quality job, took 7 days, Monday to Monday.

My van had the front panel repair done with them just before last Christmas. Quality job, took 7 days, Monday to Monday.
That’s reassuring and a good turn around, did they collect it from you and return it. Did you have any communication with the repairer I was thinking I trying to speak to them direct as Droitwich seem a bit vague as to any details.

That’s reassuring and a good turn around, did they collect it from you and return it. Did you have any communication with the repairer I was thinking I trying to speak to them direct as Droitwich seem a bit vague as to any details.
I had no contact with them. Van was collected and returned by AA wagon from VW dealers.

Hi Beachybird
Have you had the roof on your van sorted. We are now living in Cornwall( originally Malvern) our 2017nOcean has the dreaded roof corrosion and our local VW dealer are proposing to send our van to HL Motors Twickenham. What was your experience like and did you get a warranty.

thanks ajdr44

it would me no way would i be happy for them to have my cali for that long.

Hi Beachybird
Have you had the roof on your van sorted. We are now living in Cornwall( originally Malvern) our 2017nOcean has the dreaded roof corrosion and our local VW dealer are proposing to send our van to HL Motors Twickenham. What was your experience like and did you get a warranty.

thanks ajdr44
Hi ajdr44
Sorry I can’t really help on that as We are still waiting for ours to be done not sure what happened but the latest is apparently Lister Droitwich we’re using somewhere called Claridges and they were pretty good but VW have all of a sudden stopped all vehicles going there. I have also heard recently this has happened with a number of the garages they have been using. So ours has had to go back to Listers to have all the photos taken again and the process has started again I am still waiting to hear where they are proposing to send it and when.
I am just so apprehensive about sending it anywhere after hearing some of the horror stories.
Hope yours gets sorted let us know how you get on.
Beachybird

it would me no way would i be happy for them to have my cali for that long.
Defender90
I agree, I was not happy when I heard that, anyway it never happened and I am still waiting for the repair had to go back to have photos taken again as VW have stopped using many of their original garages so not happy as any new contracts they make the garages will not have built up any experience of the Cali and it’s roof etc.
☹️☹️

My Cali 2013 was sent to Twickenham for roof corrosion and a new roof seal via Marshals of Loughton who’s only 20 minutes away from me.
after constant nagging I finally got my Cali back 6 weeks later in a worst condition than before it went in
The roof seal wasn’t changed and the roof had numerous mat patch’s etched into the paint work!
Why my van had to go to Twickenham I don’t know!
Marshals who could have done the complete repair in the first place done a excellent job of fitting the new seal

Alan

This is why I am very reluctant to send my Cali off to one of these so called body shops who have no knowledge of California’s and they have it sitting there for who knows how many weeks they do an awful job cause so many other issues and when it comes back it is in a worse state than when it went. Scary stuff.
My Cali 2013 was sent to Twickenham for roof corrosion and a new roof seal via Marshals of Loughton who’s only 20 minutes away from me.
after constant nagging I finally got my Cali back 6 weeks later in a worst condition than before it went in
The roof seal wasn’t changed and the roof had numerous mat patch’s etched into the paint work!
Why my van had to go to Twickenham I don’t know!
Marshals who could have done the complete repair in the first place done a excellent job of fitting the new seal

Alan

One of the reasons that the number of repair centres are pulling out is because of VWUK. They keep cutting costs all the time and also expect that if anything goes wrong it’s the onus of the repair centre to keep putting it right. When the roof problems first came to light the repair would have been a full roof respray and the front panel would have been replaced completely with a new Aluminium panel running into thousands of pounds.
Now the roof has tape applied and the front panel has a plastic overlay obviously saving humongous amounts for VW but not so good for the customer.
When we had our roof repaired about 3 years ago they took off all the paint under the seal down to the bare Aluminium then they applied some special concoction to the alloy and glued a new seal on. This seems to have cured the problem although you can’t look under the seal any longer but nothing has migrated above the seal.
Hopefully it has cured the problem.

Hi ajdr44
Sorry I can’t really help on that as We are still waiting for ours to be done not sure what happened but the latest is apparently Lister Droitwich we’re using somewhere called Claridges and they were pretty good but VW have all of a sudden stopped all vehicles going there. I have also heard recently this has happened with a number of the garages they have been using. So ours has had to go back to Listers to have all the photos taken again and the process has started again I am still waiting to hear where they are proposing to send it and when.
I am just so apprehensive about sending it anywhere after hearing some of the horror stories.
Hope yours gets sorted let us know how you get on.
Beachybird
Hi thanks for your reply it’s so scary. We moved to Cornwall from Worcestershire last year. Our local dealer Carrs are still waiting for a date from HL Motors for the repair. Goodness how long this will take. We will let you know how we get on

Back