Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof sagging when up - VW California Ocean T6

paul-thompson

paul-thompson

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
New California Ocean T6 - Does anyone else have a problem where one side of the roof sags when you put it up? Sags about 12 inches

Frustratingly need to put a stick up to make sure it stays in place - which is really really annoying for a new expensive van. We have our toddler in the roof at night and obviously are paranoid about waking up to a squashed little girl. I've been sleeping up there with her.

Obviously on warranty so I am sure it will get fixed. Just bloomin annoying!

You could try holding the button in a extended time after lowering (say 5-10 sec) to force all hydraulic oil back (?). The hydraulic pump makes a darker sound in the bottom position while doing this. And then raising the roof, slightly/gently pushing it (if needed) on the lower side. This has helps me when roof is sagging. Has happened when not standing on level ground when raising/lowering roof.

Or if you have vw workshop next door, go there. Not everybody have that...

If your roof has come down on one side ALWAYS first raise it back fully up before lowering it fully ....you might end up damaging the mecanism.
If this happens a lot and lowers a lot , i would have it checked .
Mine lowerd a bit one or twice afther several days in a row beeing up. This has been mentiont by others but lowering quite a bit in one night is not normal

If your roof has come down on one side ALWAYS first raise it back fully up before lowering it fully ....you might end up damaging the mecanism.
If this happens a lot and lowers a lot , i would have it checked .
Mine lowerd a bit one or twice afther several days in a row beeing up. This has been mentiont by others but lowering quite a bit in one night is not normal

Yes, thank you. You MUST raise it first. Sometimes i give it a small push while doing this. Sometimes lowering 40 % and back to 100 %. The last 1-2 cm is corrected with the methode above, if not 100% on both sides...

Really Useful hints and comments - thank you everyone - will give them a try.

Really Useful hints and comments - thank you everyone - will give them a try.
My roof lowered on one side too. I lowered a little then raised it fully but it went out of line again on lowering. Eventually lowered slightly out of line.
Could it be the heat? Mid 30's all day and night.

Worried about rest of trip as still 2 weeks to go in Portugal.

I am carrying a big stuffed roof box and ours never came down (?). Not even after several days. But I always hold the button until the "noise" is over – like @Emil Silenhag points out. This is important.

As far as I remember, the roof should be able to secure the roof from going down – I remember other threads mentioning that the hydraulic suddenly starts to correct sag (OCEAN).

But it is definitely a warranty case.

Regarding always hold the button until the "noise" is over. I have noticed that it varies from car to car, the time you have to hold the button. Don't know why?

...And in my friends 2013 Calli, you can release the button but the pump will continue to buzz automatically for a couple of seconds...

Regarding always hold the button until the "noise" is over. I have noticed that it varies from car to car, the time you have to hold the button. Don't know why?

...And in my friends 2013 Calli, you can release the button but the pump will continue to buzz automatically for a couple of seconds...
Mine continues for a while too, 10 seconds or so.

Hi, I'm on holiday and now have the sagging roof problem. Roof opening and closing lopsided. Managed to get it fully open but then started to gradually sag on drivers side. Kept doing this. Took it right up again and before it had a chance to start sagging, brought it straight down and closed it.

Tomorrow's decision try opening again, or spend the next two weeks with no head room and get it inspected when I get home?

Any body who has also experienced this problem had the cause diagnosed? Loss of hydraulic pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm on holiday and now have the sagging roof problem. Roof opening and closing lopsided. Managed to get it fully open but then started to gradually sag on drivers side. Kept doing this. Took it right up again and before it had a chance to start sagging, brought it straight down and closed it.

Tomorrow's decision try opening again, or spend the next two weeks with no head room and get it inspected when I get home?

Any body who has also experienced this problem had the cause diagnosed? Loss of hydraulic pressure?

Let me guess you are in the south of Europe with themps above 35celcius....
Oil getting thinner when hot....
Known problem but it can not go down that quick , need a check up!

Let me guess you are in the south of Europe with themps above 35celcius....
Oil getting thinner when hot....
Known problem but it can not go down that quick , need a check up!

I experienced heatwave Lucifer last week. Now I'm back in England, in the West Country enjoying the lashing rain. I'm now huddled around a flaming BBQ wearing a fleece and light down jacket. I hear it will improve later this week! I hope so or I'm back to Europe.

Again. Ours was up for 10 days straight in hot Croatia with the roofbox on. In only repreasirezed once we heard, and no sagging. I think its a fault or not used correctly if it is sagging. How annoying. We had other problems though. But thats for another thread

We were in Spain in 40deg just over a month ago and ours sagged. We raised it first and lowered it while keeping a close eye on it. When cool all was okay again.
Worrying though.

Hi - had the same problem and whilst the hints were helpful it only got fixed by having the parts replaced. I would prop it up if you can whilst on holiday like I did (obviously being careful-I used a pole from a windbreaker) and make sure u follow the tips above when then Lowering - I.e put the roof the whole way up and then down to avoid problems. Phone up your local VW Garage now and get it booked in for when you get back. I got them to come and pick it up and drop it off too from my home as work logistics were a pain. Good luck

All, thanks for your replies. Regards.

We had same issue. 7 month old Ocean. Hot weather. Roof sagged on one side after 1 night. Dealer told me to lower and raise it fully 4/5 times to shift any air pockets. I did this and it hasn't happened since. Then again, it hasn't been up in hot weather since either. British summer!!!!

Hi in Spain
Not hot ,in fact has been raining.

Noticed sagging on drivers side by about 2 inches.
As shut roof ,its closing first on the drivers side (by 2 inches) followed by the roof on the passengers side.
Raised & shut roof 4 times . Now roof symbol on control panel flashing (overheating protection ),so have left roof down.

Help please .
Any suggestions ? Still safe to use roof bed,have 6 days left of holiday.
Will phone VW assist Europe.

Same happened to me on a 2015 SE. On holiday in UK (above). Left it in closed position for remainder of holiday. Booked it in. The hydraulic this and that were replaced under warranty.

There are several other posts on on the subject. One relating to the effect of high temperatures on the hydraulic fluid and pressure (not the problem in your case). Another reminds to keep pressing the up/down button even after the roof is fully opened or closing until a tick appears on the control panel menu to pump up the hydraulic pressure to the right level.

Latest update on our wonky closing roof . Needs a new motor to raise the roof (warranty repair). Repair being done at VW Snows Plymouth.

Good evening expert people.

On a weekend camp in the south of England The temperature is about 10 degrees.

The electric roof went up ok, but after a while I noticed a sag on the driver's side.

An attempt to lower the roof resulted in little if any movement on the passenger side.

For the time being, the roof appears to be up and behaving.

If it won't budge symmetrically in the morning, how do I get the roof down?

Always open the roof fully first (until pump stops) before lowering if it is sagged ....
Check mecanism for defaults one side compared to the other

Worst case you need to use the manual lowering procedure.

Roof fully opened until pump stopped .

It's all a bit dark at present for a decent look at the mechanisms. Provided the roof stays up, I'll have to have a look in the morning

Flick out the control panel with a butter knife or a spoon.
Then you can access the pump.
There is a slotted screw on the pump that you can unwind the roof
with.
It releases the oil pressure.
Good luck.