Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Side Rails 'leaking'

ChrisandPenney52

ChrisandPenney52

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi,

Not sure if this is should be in 'Bodywork' or 'Awning' but can't find a similar post at the moment.

The offside roof rail of my 2008 SE has started to allow water to come between it and the bodywork. This is the rail that holds the screw-in nuts that can slide along the rail and which terminates at the pointy black body trim at the top of the windscreen.

This means that the previously water-tight seal of the space between the awning and the body now leaks, and the step of the sliding door is getting wet in the rain. It's not the rubber strip between the awning and the body that leaks - that is fine, I think!

Can anyone offer advice about possible solutions? I wondered about a tube of sealant along the top edge, but this edge is where the pop up roof meets the body when the roof is down.

I have had my roof paintwork fixed, about 18 months ago, but I'm not sure why I've only just noticed this. Hard to say whether something in the repair and reassembly caused it. The pointy black bit is not as well stuck down as it was either, but maybe just the ravages of time.

I've attached three pictures that show where it's leaking.

[Edit: made the main leak picture big enough to see!]

2018-06-01 18.59.47.jpeg

View attachment 35429

2018-06-01 19.05.05.jpeg

2018-06-01 18.58.51.jpeg

Hi,

Not sure if this is should be in 'Bodywork' or 'Awning' but can't find a similar post at the moment.

The offside roof rail of my 2008 SE has started to allow water to come between it and the bodywork. This is the rail that holds the screw-in nuts that can slide along the rail and which terminates at the pointy black body trim at the top of the windscreen.

This means that the previously water-tight seal of the space between the awning and the body now leaks, and the step of the sliding door is getting wet in the rain. It's not the rubber strip between the awning and the body that leaks - that is fine, I think!

Can anyone offer advice about possible solutions? I wondered about a tube of sealant along the top edge, but this edge is where the pop up roof meets the body when the roof is down.

I have had my roof paintwork fixed, about 18 months ago, but I'm not sure why I've only just noticed this. Hard to say whether something in the repair and reassembly caused it. The pointy black bit is not as well stuck down as it was either, but maybe just the ravages of time.

I've attached three pictures that show where it's leaking.

[Edit: made the main leak picture big enough to see!]

The rail you are referring to is bonded on, so if water is leaking underneath it then the rail is coming away from the bodywork. Not impossible but I would have thought the rubber sealing strip between awning and body would be the more likely culprit. Easily replaced or you could use Silicone sealant. Depends how long you intend to keep it and how OEM you want to keep it.

Remember, that rubber sealing strip is now 10 years old.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...875/subcategory/875000/part_id/3723374/lang/e

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../067/subcategory/67020/part_id/3692943/lang/e

The rail you are referring to is bonded on, so if water is leaking underneath it then the rail is coming away from the bodywork. Not impossible but I would have thought the rubber sealing strip between awning and body would be the more likely culprit. Easily replaced or you could use Silicone sealant. Depends how long you intend to keep it and how OEM you want to keep it.

Remember, that rubber sealing strip is now 10 years old.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...875/subcategory/875000/part_id/3723374/lang/e

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../067/subcategory/67020/part_id/3692943/lang/e

Thanks for the link to the breakdown - I'd missed that one. Sadly it does look as though it's the bonding that's failed. The leak is definitely between the strip and the body and not the body and the awning. Body shop job?

Thanks for the link to the breakdown - I'd missed that one. Sadly it does look as though it's the bonding that's failed. The leak is definitely between the strip and the body and not the body and the awning. Body shop job?
Possibly. You could remove the Awning yourself. There are videos on the net and I believe @hotel california has posted one on the Forum. Not difficult. Removing and re-bonding the strip might be a little bit more involved.

@WelshGas , not done the awning removal ....must be somewhere on a video doh..

Yes, re-bonding the strip is a skill well above my pay grade. This is the separation at the back

2018-07-12 10.43.25.jpeg

I personally would pop the top, and then clean all round the seal. I would then reseal along the top edge and the sides with a pu adhesive sealant like Sikaflex. This both bonds the seal in place and also waterproofs it.

I see why you got confused.

(I have removed the video link from this post as you beat me to it)

Last edited:
I personally would pop the top, and then clean all round the seal. I would then reseal along the top edge and the sides with a pu adhesive sealant like Sikaflex. This both bonds the seal in place and also waterproofs it.

Yes this is the sort of plan I think I need to try. Just concerned that the sealant will bond with the pop top too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have just found the same problem with my Cali after a couple of very rainy days in Noreay. It’s a year and a half old and definite leak between rail and body. Will be talking to VW Birmingham when I get back to UK. Grrrr!

The body shop has told me (via a circuitous route through VW customer care and my local van centre) that the roof repairs don't entail removing this strip. So I've bought some Sikaflex and will see how I get on with this.

Have just found the same problem with my Cali after a couple of very rainy days in Noreay. It’s a year and a half old and definite leak between rail and body. Will be talking to VW Birmingham when I get back to UK. Grrrr!

At least mine made ten years before failing! Good luck - keep us posted

The body shop has told me (via a circuitous route through VW customer care and my local van centre) that the roof repairs don't entail removing this strip. So I've bought some Sikaflex and will see how I get on with this.
Interesting. Sounds like they (VW) use a similar method to what you will try.

I am now thinking not to take the problem to VW but to use 3M tape along the channel. No danger of it sticking to roof seal and a simple fix that can be repeated if required (which I doubt it would) anywhere if I keep tape in van. Also saves trip to dealer.

Here's our first attempt, with Sikaflex 512, having cleaned out the channel with a squeeze water bottle and toothbrush. We (i.e. Penney, who has much better skills with goo than me) inserted thin line of Sikaflex along the channel. We then left the roof up for 24 hours to allow the tackiness to go off a bit.

The front and rear awning supports cover part of the channel. The channel is supposed to drain under these to the front or rear, but one of the places it was leaking was under the front support, which we couldn't fix without removing the awning (life too short judgement applied here). We decided to apply the Sikaflex around the ends of the front support but not around the rear the back, so with a bit of luck it will drain backwards.

@Jabberwocky the 3M tape looks a good option too so will be interested in how you get on

2018-09-01 17.50.44.jpeg 2018-09-01 17.51.16.jpeg

Here's our first attempt, with Sikaflex 512, having cleaned out the channel with a squeeze water bottle and toothbrush. We (i.e. Penney, who has much better skills with goo than me) inserted thin line of Sikaflex along the channel. We then left the roof up for 24 hours to allow the tackiness to go off a bit.

The front and rear awning supports cover part of the channel. The channel is supposed to drain under these to the front or rear, but one of the places it was leaking was under the front support, which we couldn't fix without removing the awning (life too short judgement applied here). We decided to apply the Sikaflex around the ends of the front support but not around the rear the back, so with a bit of luck it will drain backwards.

@Jabberwocky the 3M tape looks a good option too so will be interested in how you get on

View attachment 37402 View attachment 37403
Thanks for sharing that. Good point about the awning fixing. I will be giving the 3M tape a go at end Sept so will report here.

Hi all, this is a good conversation - and has helped me narrow down a fault with my 2011 Cali.

Thanks to your comments, I know with certainty the rubber channel bond has failed above the drivers door but also the plastic cap (at the forward end of the channel) over the windscreen is loose to the touch. I only found it as there seemed to be an increase in wind noise at motorway speeds and I'm dodging a curtain of water every time I got in and out of the van (in the rain).

Re-bonding of the strip with Sikaflex is OK.....I can do that.

What I can't tell is how the front plastic fitting is attached to the van. Is it bonded or is it fastened mechanically from inside?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, this is a good conversation - and has helped me narrow down a fault with my 2011 Cali.

Thanks to your comments, I know with certainty the rubber channel bond has failed above the drivers door but also the plastic cap (at the forward end of the channel) over the windscreen is loose to the touch. I only found it as there seemed to be an increase in wind noise at motorway speeds and I'm dodging a curtain of water every time I got in and out of the van (in the rain).

Re-bonding of the strip with Sikaflex is OK.....I can do that.

What I can't tell is how the front plastic fitting is attached to the van. Is it bonded or is it fastened mechanically from inside?

Thanks in advance.
I have a similar problem with the o/s rear black end trim on the rail. It came away when I was sliding the Topper securing thumb screws out of the rail.

As far as I can see this is only stuck into the end of the rail so could be stuck back with some Sikaflex. Haven't done this though, as it seems a waste to buy a big tube for a small job.

Alan

Well.......I did not use the 3M tape in September 2018 as suggested. I didn't solve the problem at all. Now changed my Cali for a My19 and guess what? Yep, leaking between rail and van body on the awning side. Its worst just at the point in the middle of the front awning attachment. Will I take it back to VW under warranty? No as they do not remove and replace with new adhesive.
I used the 3M tape I had intended to use on my older Cali.
OK...how did it go? Well I had been quite pleased with the way the tape went on but it was tricky getting it to adhere under the awning brackets to the extent that I still have one leak. The rest is perfect now. So....I have decided to take the awning off as well as the brackets (as I should have done in the first place) and finish the job properly (replace that section of 3M tape). Next fine day's job for me.

3M tape applied to rail and bodywork for the whole length of the awning. Removed awning and brackets so as to apply tape evenly. The tape is VERY sticky so be sure, if you use this method, to place tape carefully and make sure it is well adhered with as few air bubbles as possible.
Older Calis will have M6 hex bolts fitted where as newer vans are fitted with Torc 30 bolts (you will need a special T30 driver bit). A word of warning: In theory the removal of the awning is a one person job but our awning was not properly hooked over the front bracket so when I removed the front retaining bolt the front of the awning came away and dropped by about an inch or so leaving it only attached at the rear! Fortunately Terri was on hand to assist as a prop whilst I very carefully closed the awning before removal.
Awning now properly hooked up and ....no drips (its just started to rain!).
1564573249147.png

3M tape applied to rail and bodywork for the whole length of the awning. Removed awning and brackets so as to apply tape evenly. The tape is VERY sticky so be sure, if you use this method, to place tape carefully and make sure it is well adhered with as few air bubbles as possible.
Older Calis will have M6 hex bolts fitted where as newer vans are fitted with Torc 30 bolts (you will need a special T30 driver bit). A word of warning: In theory the removal of the awning is a one person job but our awning was not properly hooked over the front bracket so when I removed the front retaining bolt the front of the awning came away and dropped by about an inch or so leaving it only attached at the rear! Fortunately Terri was on hand to assist as a prop whilst I very carefully closed the awning before removal.
Awning now properly hooked up and ....no drips (its just started to rain!).
View attachment 48165
You were very lucky there, it could´´ve quite easily broke the rear bracket
and scratched your van and then fallen on the floor breaking the end cap.

Although you have taped the rail to stop the rain coming through and it works for
you, I'm concerned about why this happened.
The rail is supposed to be glued on or bonded if you want, have they, as a cost cutting
measure changed to just having blobs of adhesive rather than a full line of it all along
the rail.

You were very lucky there, it could´´ve quite easily broke the rear bracket
and scratched your van and then fallen on the floor breaking the end cap.

Although you have taped the rail to stop the rain coming through and it works for
you, I'm concerned about why this happened.
The rail is supposed to be glued on or bonded if you want, have they, as a cost cutting
measure changed to just having blobs of adhesive rather than a full line of it all along
the rail.
Yes, I realise how lucky we were, fortunately Terri was right by the front and managed to stop/catch the awning - hence the warning.
There were three leaks the biggest was at the depressed body seam between the sliding door and the drivers door. It's the same place as on my last Cali and you can't get to it without taking the front bracket off. Anyway time will tell how effective my solution will be.
Cost cutting by VW? Maybe but when I went round the factory earlier this year it looked like a bead was applied, so my money would be on an inconsistent process. VW should have fixed that by now!

@Jabberwocky Ours leaks between the channelled black aluminium rail and the vehicle body and drips onto the step like the op. Was this your problem? If so to clarify, you removed the awning, then the 2 awning brackets then the black aluminium rail and restuck it with 3m tape? Was is difficult to unstick the rail and did you then have to remove what was sticking it before? Cheers