Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof sorted

There was of these at one of the Cali meets in Sussex a few years back, I think it was a Polish guy with French plates, stirred up quite a bit of interest.

http://www.volkswagencampers.nl/occasions

found this, worry free roof look at the
California VW T5 2.0 TDI 140PK Polyroof hoogdak

Checked it out a few months ago as it is CCN my dealer who is selling it....
It was in theire showroom , looked nice ...but just stick to the pop-top for now.

There is the possibility to remove the pop-top build a polyroof on it.

AFAIK, it's the equivalent of the 'compact' roof on the Westfalia T4 models. (Nothing is new, just forgotten). Built on the SWB model.

It's a nice solution for singles / couples who want to sleep downstairs, as you lose the upstairs bed, but are able to stand in the van when you just stop for a brew, and benefit from much better thermal and noise insulation.

It's the other extreme to my van, based on the LWB van with a 2m upstairs bed but rather different aerodynamic and aesthetic properties ;), oh and a loo and separate kitchen area. There was one in between (the hightop) based on the SWB which had a smurf top like mine, but was conventional layout inside, but retained a 1.9m top bed.

Writing this makes me realise how much choice buyers had in the last century!

Edit: I notice the T5 in the link does retain a roof bed, and the roof does look taller than the T4 Compact, but I think it's a kids only arrangement for sleeping.

Last edited:
Back