Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof topper

R

rjt36

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello all, could you please offer some advice as to the best quality roof topper? We have a T5 Cali SE and we would like to feel a little more secure in the driving rain of the winter months. All advice very gratefully received!
Many thanks.

The comfortz topper is great. Been in several heavy downpours in Scotland and it's worked really well, keeps some warmth in there too. We use a car wash mitten to get the excess water off before packing away. It stores nicely in with the folding chairs in the tailgate.

Thank you for all of your replies - I guess unless forum members have seen or tried the various options, it’s hard for anyone to know which topper is better - but it’s helpful to know that the Comfort and Mutze options are both liked. Thank you.

I rate our Khyam Cozi Cover. It’s easy to fit, it’s fluffy on the inside which protects the paintwork, it has windows as standard, it has easy to use fixings to keep it firm in windy weather and its a lot more cost effective than competitors.
It’s a great product.

I rate our Khyam Cozi Cover. It’s easy to fit, it’s fluffy on the inside which protects the paintwork, it has windows as standard, it has easy to use fixings to keep it firm in windy weather and its a lot more cost effective than competitors.
It’s a great product.

Sounds like they are all fit for purpose but each with their own pro's and cons.
I really wanted to avoid a topper and the expense but decided it was necessary for remaining cozy in heavy down pours.
We went for the Cali Topper from comfortz leisure from the club shop. It's been great in fairness and pack down nicely but when wet you'll need to employee a good packaway strategy which I'm still working on. A water proof bag is good but not a pleasant task with any external topper I guess. 'A bus and beyond' have a comparison video on you tube of a couple of covers and make some valid points.

+1 for Khyam Cozi cover. Easy to put on by one person. Very bulky, and wouldn't take on a European summer tour, but damn near indestructable and struggle to see how anything can get close to it for winter in the UK.

my khyam cozy buckled my roof . vw didnt want to know

I can vouch for Kamper Cozi, really good for winter. Sometimes I don't bother to feed it into the awning rail which makes it even easier to fit if on your own.

We are leaning toward the Rainbow Screens cover - saw them at the caravan show at the NEC and quality excellent and recommended by A Bus And Beyond in their comparison video.

I made a wrap-around foil bubblewrap thing which was great and we used it for a couple of years, but it gradually got torn from stuffing it behind the struts.
campervan cosy copy.jpeg IMG_3712 copy 3.jpg
We then bought a Calicap Mütze which has been fine, once you get the hang of putting it on - benefits include being able to open the windows to get some ventilation even if it's windy or raining.

I've camped through really bad weather conditions - always sleeping upstairs - for 10 years in my Cali, and never felt the need for a "topper". That's partly because I have a Gore-Tex liner. Extra brilliant because you don't have to remove it!