Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Toppers comparison

M

Meerkat1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Our (first ever) Ocean is arriving next week! We’ve read lots of threads and wonder if things have changed over the last year. We’d like to hear your insights and experiences about roof covers, given that we:

- will be camping in the Cali all year round and will be out there in the current and upcoming rain and snow this winter
- want windows to open, and always be able to see out clearly, and close when we don’t
- need wind and rain proof and insulating
- want it to handle ‘horizontal rain’
- need it to be breathable

If budget allowed, would you get a roofless one (we think we’d have a roofbox for longer trips, rain or shine) and a full cover? Or do you just make do with roofless? Are they as protrective?

What’s the packing away situation? Do any stay up all the time and don’t need to be taken off?

And anything else we haven’t thought of!

I'd say if you've already read the extensive posts on toppers your just about up to speed!
All the external ones have to be taken off.

Our (first ever) Ocean is arriving next week! We’ve read lots of threads and wonder if things have changed over the last year. We’d like to hear your insights and experiences about roof covers, given that we:

- will be camping in the Cali all year round and will be out there in the current and upcoming rain and snow this winter
- want windows to open, and always be able to see out clearly, and close when we don’t

If budget allowed, would you get a roofless one (we think we’d have a roofbox for longer trips, rain or shine) and a full cover? Or do you just make do with roofless? Are they as protrective?

What’s the packing away situation? Do any stay up all the time and don’t need to be taken off?

If it is just Insulation you want and you are able to dry the bellows at home then an Internal one can be left installed, But you will have make sure the bellows is dry if the roof is closed.for more than a few day.
If you Cannot dry the bellows at home then an External cover will be required. Obviously it would have to be roofless if you have a Roofbox fitted.

Are roofless toppers any less waterproof and insulating than full external covers? I think they must be but I don’t see mention of that.

Are roofless toppers any less waterproof and insulating than full external covers? I think they must be but I don’t see mention of that.
I dont think you should expect too much in the way of insulation from any external topper. I'm sure there is some but I would say it's minimal. They are, in my opinion primarily to keep the rain off.

No
Roofless toppers are no different in terms of waterproof property to full standard toppers

I dont think you should expect too much in the way of insulation from any external topper. I'm sure there is some but I would say it's minimal. They are, in my opinion primarily to keep the rain off.
Not so sure about that. Fitted properly ventilation is still present and there is an air brake between the Topper and Bellows. I found there is a definite temperature change when fitted.

I had a roofless one on my beach and it was great. But bit fiddly to put on.

IMG_20181028_073717.jpg

Roofless one for us too. One person job to put on and take off. It’s a bit fiddly at the back with the bike rack fitted, and a real faff if you fit it after putting out the awning.

It virtually eliminates draughts and is waterproof, just as much as the roofed version because of the ribbed roof design.

858020388177a5f7febe41ac4b4ff0e7.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Has anybody used Rainbow screens? We saw A Bus & Beyond review with them, they seemed to really like them. But what are the implications for the mechanism which stays exposed rather than with a full external cover? And doesn't rain get in the joins?

When we're making a decision about a Topper, are there some Toppers which clearly preserve the "mechanisms" relating to the raising and lowering of the roof, and is that aspect a deal breaker?

That is why we went for a Cali topper as it covers the mechanism etc.. the ones that go within the mechanism only protect the canvas

When we chose our topper, we went for the Comfortz roofless external topper from the VWCC shop. Our reasons were:

Pro's:
We wanted to be able to use the topper with roof rails and a roof box.
The external topper protects the OEM canvas and the roof mechanism.
It was relatively easy to put up by one person (after a bit of practice).
The OEM canvas and roof mechanism stays dry, so you are not closing a wet roof onto the upper bed.
It's easy to fold up, even if wet. The carry bag is waterproof, but I tend to loose fold it into a dry bag or a bin liner if it's wet and then dry it out at the earliest opportunity.
It does seem to keep the cold draughts out in windy weather.

Cons:
Can be fiddly to put on, but it does get much easier with practice.
It is easier to put up with 2 people and a set of small steps will help.
It does make the interior a bit dark, but we got the one with 3 windows so that helps.

Overall we are pleased with our purchase, which has been successfully tested in heavy snow and rain.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the responses.
Calikev - you recommended the bandrup isotop. Isn't that for insulation only, not waterproofing?
Flying banana/Amarilla - does rain gather on the roof and seep into any gap between edge of the roofless bit and the roof, if you see what I mean?

Thanks for all the responses.
Calikev - you recommended the bandrup isotop. Isn't that for insulation only, not waterproofing?
Flying banana/Amarilla - does rain gather on the roof and seep into any gap between edge of the roofless bit and the roof, if you see what I mean?

The roof is ribbed. When using the topper the roof must be raised at a pitch of perhaps 30 degrees, so water will always flow off front to back. At the back the topper is in two parts - a functional part and a cosmetic part. The functional part Velcros •under• the back overhang of the roof, so water runs off the roof and over the top of the topper. The cosmetic bit covers the back of the roof and the functional bit. It serves no purpose other than to make the back all look nice and tidy. Water flows off the roof between the two rear flaps.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Tthe isotop fits internally and gives great insulation it can be left in place with the roof down it is also waterproof so if your canvas gets wet you can close the roof without fear of getting the mattress wet.
if the canvas gets wet you will need to raise the roof once it has stopped raining to dry it out. obviously the calitopper will keep your canvas dry but when you turn up to a campsite try putting on a roof cover in wind and rain.

Tthe isotop fits internally and gives great insulation it can be left in place with the roof down it is also waterproof so if your canvas gets wet you can close the roof without fear of getting the mattress wet.
if the canvas gets wet you will need to raise the roof once it has stopped raining to dry it out. obviously the calitopper will keep your canvas dry but when you turn up to a campsite try putting on a roof cover in wind and rain.
Agree, wouldn’t be without an internal liner. You can still put an external one on if you want to keep the roof dry but you will still have an enormous wet topper to dry out when you get home! Been there! :D

Thanks very much, I see what you mean. I didn't realise the Brandrup ISO is waterproof, they don't mention that in the catalogue. We've just been trying to imagine the scenarios. We turn up at a campsite in the evening, maybe pop to a pub or town that's a drive first night (therefore external topper), get back late, have to put the topper on. Next day at some point if we drive somewhere, take it off again. Is that how life is with an external - on, off, on off? If it's easy to do, that's fine, but we just don't know yet.

Having something that stays on all the time is a nice idea. If the factory roof/bellows don't leak (we heard they might...), that could work. If protecting the mechanism (see my later question above) isn't an issue of course.

The roof mechanism is mainly covered and the arms are galvanised

Thanks very much, I see what you mean. I didn't realise the Brandrup ISO is waterproof, they don't mention that in the catalogue. We've just been trying to imagine the scenarios. We turn up at a campsite in the evening, maybe pop to a pub or town that's a drive first night (therefore external topper), get back late, have to put the topper on. Next day at some point if we drive somewhere, take it off again. Is that how life is with an external - on, off, on off? If it's easy to do, that's fine, but we just don't know yet.

Having something that stays on all the time is a nice idea. If the factory roof/bellows don't leak (we heard they might...), that could work. If protecting the mechanism (see my later question above) isn't an issue of course.
Anything touching the interior of the canvas will allow water penetration via the process of wicking.
So you have your internal Topper, nice and cosy and waterproof inside. Horizontal rain outside. Canvas wet and internal Topper touching it. Water wicks into the gap, and where does it go?
Roof up to dry the canvas and the gap in between has to be dried as well, so will take longer.

Both types have advantages and disadvantages. Neither is the ultimate Topper.
Personally, I use an external Topper only when pitched up for a few days in Winter only, and not always then. The California doesn’t really need one. If sleeping upstairs then just good bedding or a good sleeping bag for subzero winter trips. You do have a heater.

As far as the roof mechanism is concerned, it doesn’t need any protection.

I went for the isotop. Cant be doing with all the messing with an external. If the outer gets wet its only like a tent and can be dried at the next opportunity putting the roof up. Mechanism isnt going to worry about a bit of water its designed for it.

The only reason you would need to protect the mechanism in my mind is to prevent heavy snow and ice build up there which would then need digging out to lower the roof. Other than that the mechanism is fine in the rain

Aside info. Roof load is only 50kgs max and that includes the rails and box weights.