Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Toppers

N

Nick Swan

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi everyone,

What are the thoughts about roof toppers? Are they a required bit of kit for a week away?

Thanks
Nick

No. But very useful in the winter months or very wet weather.

We have one to use when the weather is very wet or in winter to help keep us warm, back from 10 weeks in Europe this summer never used it once. And 1 week at Loch Morlich last week also not used. We had our van for over 10 months before we got one and that was really for winter use.

Last time we used ours was March at Glencoe on a ski trip.

So in summary not essential kit, unless your are planning a week in horizontal rain in which case it may be useful.

I've just spent a wet week in Scotland, where it rained everynight, and was very pleased to have the topper on. I had my two children upstairs and they roll around in the night touching the canvas. I've no doubt the canvas would have been wet through without the topper.
One thing I noticed is small scratches to the roof from the topper, though it was very windy with the rain, they should hopefully polish out. Think I might look into some clear vinyl wrap to prevent any further scratches.
Worth the money for me anyway.

I've just spent a wet week in Scotland, where it rained everynight, and was very pleased to have the topper on. I had my two children upstairs and they roll around in the night touching the canvas. I've no doubt the canvas would have been wet through without the topper.
One thing I noticed is small scratches to the roof from the topper, though it was very windy with the rain, they should hopefully polish out. Think I might look into some clear vinyl wrap to prevent any further scratches.
Worth the money for me anyway.

We have no kids up top, with kids touching the sides much more essential kit.

Have not noticed any scratches, we have a rootless topper.

Don't have one - have no intention of buying one - we do have kids in the roof, and have been out in some wet weather with no problems. We don't do much winter camping though (pretty much nothing in Dec-March)

We sleep upstairs in wind and rain, (horizontal rain in the north of Scotland) don't have a topper - never been wet or cold.

We got one after about 9 months, not because we needed it, but because it would make things a bit more comfortable. It has. We've camped without it in extreme weather and been warm and dry (the roof canvas is amazing), but it is reassuring to know there is an extra layer and it makes it quieter when it is very windy and warmer when cold. We've also spent some nights without it on when the weather has changed after we've gone to bed and I've woken up and wished I'd put it on, but too late at 3am with wind and rain.

We've got a black Khyam Kosi. It is easy to put on, but a very snug fit. It doesn't seem to mark the the roof or bodywork.

Steve

+1 for the Khyam Kosi.

A bit bulky but brilliant.

Wouldn't mind something lighter for touring on the Continent, but have used it loads in really bad weather in the UK and it has been ace, and so easy to put on and take off.

we use a khyam cosi on our van and I find it a fantastic piece of kit. Only use it in the cold or bad rain. Our on sleeps in the roof in a vango aurora double sleeping bag which touches the canvass on both sides, with the topper on I have no worries about moisture transferring to the bag through the canvass.

We have one and find that it keeps the light out so you don't get woken up early in the summer and protects from wind and rain. We have also gone without and then regretted it during the night. We have the Comfortz Leisure one. Not essential but we are glad that we have one :)

I have to disagree with the kyham I bought one and it nearly cost me a new roof it got stuck on the corner as I raised it and buckled the roof slightly. I scrapped it and bought one off Nick at Comfortz no more worry about it catching having it fixed one side is a bad design the material is also heavy and bulky. Sorry but only my opinion

initially kids in roof will result in damp canvas and bedding, we went down comfortz topper to solve issues then his internal brandrup style was developed so we got one as well. keep internal one inside every trip but we pop the topper over if wet windy weather expected so we protect the canvas and mechanisms. As dad to 2 year old and 4 year olds topper of some kind is massive worry off my mind for my sons and my vw dream machine. Hope this helps?

My daughter sleeps in the roof and has slept up there with 2 friends last year when they were 12. We had rain and no one got wet. Touch wood have not had a wet mattress. We have camped in every month of the year. We used our Mutze once in February one year so our CPW isn't great but others swear by them. (CPW is cost per wear....usually used to justify purchase of expensive designer dress!)
Zebedee

We have the Comfortz topper....wouldn't be without it, extra layer when cold, and additional protection on those wet, stormy nights. Takes a minutes or so to put on and stores neatly between one of the chairs in the tailgate.

We have one , tried it with and without.
with , everything stays warm and dry during a good downpour.
Without topper- if your sleeping bag/ duvet/pillows etc touch the canvas they will be wet in no time kids or no kids.
Also if you've had rain without the topper on and the canvas is wet your mattress will get wet when you drop the roof!
With practice you can whip off the topper and drop the roof quickly whilst the canvas and mattress stays dry.

Something I found useful to go with my topper was a car washing mitt. Bought a cheap one from the £ shop, weather permitting, I gave the topper a quick wipe down to take away the excess water. (also good for wiping off bird droppings)
We had that much rain one night the seam at the bottom of the topper was full of water. Had to squeeze it all out at the ends before putting it away.

We have both an internal Comfortz Cozi and a topper.
The Cozi stays in all the time and is excellent. Never got damp upstairs, it insulates a bit as well and keeps it cool in summer. For me as a bad sleeper it also helps as it keeps most of the light out of the roof but the "windows" can be unzipped during the day.
We still carry the topper around but don't use it unless it's winter to give more insulation or in very heavy persistent rain.

We have both an internal Comfortz Cozi and a topper.
The Cozi stays in all the time and is excellent. Never got damp upstairs, it insulates a bit as well and keeps it cool in summer. For me as a bad sleeper it also helps as it keeps most of the light out of the roof but the "windows" can be unzipped during the day.
We still carry the topper around but don't use it unless it's winter to give more insulation or in very heavy persistent rain.
As good as the Comfortz topper is I would like to trial a thinner waterproof cover ,possible Gortex material advantages over the original would be easier to use/put on,dry's quicker, light weight and takes up less space any thoughts

Sounds like you need an internal topper fitted on the outside! its thin waterproof & lightweight.

As it happens, I'm about to design and make a combined topper/cozy for internal AND external use. My raison d'être is simply to do with the cost of these items on the after-market caravan, when suitable material is available for under £50. There's little science in improving warmth and dryness at this level so it's worth a try. Lots of people use these toppers in different ways, and you have to choose whether to have internal, external, thermal, or God forbid, all three! I want ONE solution that can be deployed in any way you choose, be easy to make, easy to store and cheap.

A lot of people say GoreTex, breathable, and the like, but these fabrics only really work (if at all) when they are close to a sweaty body, whereby some saturated airborne moisture can pass through the fabric pores under pressure. I don't think this is going to add any benefit to our purpose here. We want waterproof, windproof, a "double glazing" effect, and continued ventilation. A cheap waterproof ripstop fabric is ideal for this.

As it happens, I'm about to design and make a combined topper/cozy for internal AND external use. My raison d'être is simply to do with the cost of these items on the after-market caravan, when suitable material is available for under £50. There's little science in improving warmth and dryness at this level so it's worth a try. Lots of people use these toppers in different ways, and you have to choose whether to have internal, external, thermal, or God forbid, all three! I want ONE solution that can be deployed in any way you choose, be easy to make, easy to store and cheap.

A lot of people say GoreTex, breathable, and the like, but these fabrics only really work (if at all) when they are close to a sweaty body, whereby some saturated airborne moisture can pass through the fabric pores under pressure. I don't think this is going to add any benefit to our purpose here. We want waterproof, windproof, a "double glazing" effect, and continued ventilation. A cheap waterproof ripstop fabric is ideal for this.
I think its a winner if you can inform the members on your final outcome I'm very interested.

We use ours in France and it's really good at keeping the van cool in hot weather.

Love the idea!? Like a bonnet bra but a 'roof bra' which is so thin yet wind and rain proof it could actually stay on the roof all the time. Surely theres a way for such material to slid over the lifting calipers when closing? Sort it out nick at comfortz.....i bet volkswagen would change the cali roof forever.

Ps the T2 vans from the 70s had the lifting mechanism on the inside! and the material was waterproof!