Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof up or down daytime

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we have just bought a California Ocean and are going to be using it mainly at a boatyard on the Norfolk Broads.The question is when we are out on our dinghy for the day sailing should we put the roof down,they get fairly strong winds up there,also if we park by the coast in Cornwall and go out for a days walk should we put the roof down both for security issues ,vandalism and possible wind damage

If it were me I would put it down during the day. Secure and safe. You can then enjoy your day without worry.:)

if it wasn't full of bedding or bits etc and was easy to put down it will be better off down than up for the reasons you point out above. Dont forget to press the alarm button on the door pillar behind the drivers seat if you decide to leave it up or the alarm will go off as i found out last week :headbang

we have just bought a California Ocean and are going to be using it mainly at a boatyard on the Norfolk Broads.The question is when we are out on our dinghy for the day sailing should we put the roof down,they get fairly strong winds up there,also if we park by the coast in Cornwall and go out for a days walk should we put the roof down both for security issues ,vandalism and possible wind damage
You must be very intrepid if you dinghy in winds that would cause problems to the raised roof. Most camp sites are safe, the people using tents must be happy to leave them with only material protecting their valuables. We have certainly closed the roof when the wind was so strong/noisy that sleep was impossible.

You must be very intrepid if you dinghy in winds that would cause problems to the raised roof. Most camp sites are safe, the people using tents must be happy to leave them with only material protecting their valuables. We have certainly closed the roof when the wind was so strong/noisy that sleep was impossible.

Agree, assuming of course the location isn't an obvious magnet for crime (as some beach car parks sadly are).

On the other hand, don't even think about going away and leaving the side awning rolled out!

Dont forget to press the alarm button on the door pillar behind the drivers seat if you decide to leave it up or the alarm will go off as i found out last week :headbang
You can leave the alarm activated whilst roof is up. Pull down upper bed, close sliding hatch, lock and go. I found this out years ago in Spain talking to a cali owner from portugal.
We do this all the time now.

I never think twice about leaving my roof up unless a hurricane is forecast to blow in, in which case I blow out, quick! :shocked

If we are at the Pool or Beach at a campground roof is up. If we leave for Sightseeing e.g. Roof is always down!

I would be interested to know whether insurance companies would consider leaving the roof up as acceptable in the event of a theft claim. A sharp knife and your in!

I would be interested to know whether insurance companies would consider leaving the roof up as acceptable in the event of a theft claim. A sharp knife and your in!
True, but as soon as hatch cover is slid back alarm would be activate by any movement

I can't see they would have any valid reason to refuse a claim. Forced entry by cutting the roof open is a different matter than the policyholder doing something obviously negligent like leaving a door unlocked or a window open.

True, but as soon as hatch cover is slid back alarm would be activate by any movement
Good point. Even so I go back to my original stance. If I'm away for the day - roof is down. For me it's a peace of mind issue as much as anything.

When camping on campsite roof is never put down, unless high winds are forecast. As said previously upper bed is pulled down and hatch cover closed. In 11.5 yrs of ownership never had a problem.

Each to their own at the end of the day.:cool:

If roof is up it stays up where ever it is for me.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is there a maximum allowable windspeed listed for the roof, or just up to the common sense of the operator?

I'd be looking for a new insurance company if mine reckoned that it's my fault if criminals take my stuff just because it was easy for them to take it. It's still mine, and I'm insuring against the fact that they are still a criminal.

Down to common sense and depends on direction. Back to wind is best, then front.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On campsites roof stays up, when wild camping or on “Wohnmobilstellplatze” we make a decision depending on the atmosphere whether we put it down or not.

We have always left our roof up when going out. As we stay on campsites we've never considered the security aspect, although we don't take anything of value when we go away (except Cali!) and take all money and keys with us when we go out. We have dropped the roof overnight when high winds are forecast, but that's so we can get some sleep.

If you do leave the roof up in high winds its probably best to have the rear end facing into wind.

You can leave the alarm activated whilst roof is up. Pull down upper bed, close sliding hatch, lock and go.
That's a good tip, indeed!

We leave our roof up all the time, and never thought of this. Never had the alarm go off on us on a campsite yet, though. Only once, during a rough ferry crossing where we had forgotten to turn it off .
:rolleyes:

I would recommend putting it down.

Back