Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof warning light flashing / Roof Sensors

Robin Brooke

Robin Brooke

Extended sabaticaal pursuing a passion to climb
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

This morning on startup I noticed a flashing light on th Control Panel, showing the roof icon with roof up flashing.

thumbnail.jpg

I got out and looked and could see the roof appears fully closed - see below.

Untitled.png

I tried to open/close the roof using control panel and it starts then cuts out after 1 second. Same everytime I try there after. Then try to close and makes close noise then cuts out.

I look in the manual. California Supplement.

Its says this Flashing Light means the roof hydraulic system is overheating, it advises you should wait a few minutes and try again (strange as haven't been doing anything to heat the system)...

Anyway I wait 10 minutes try again, same problem. Repeat x2.

I search the VW California Forum. Some posts suggest:

1. Restart the control panel - done, no change.
2. Look up error code on Control Panel.

thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnail4.jpg

I get error code 1000. I try to press escape for 5seconds but doesn't clear the code, just back to main menu.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And/or know what error 1000 means?

I'm guessing I will have to visit a dealer, but I'd really appreciate any insight, experiences, info that will help me manage the interaction with the Dealer, or if you have had the problem and found a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

This morning on startup I noticed a flashing light on th Control Panel, showing the roof icon with roof up flashing.

View attachment 82127

I got out and looked and could see the roof appears fully closed - see below.

View attachment 82128

I tried to open/close the roof using control panel and it starts then cuts out after 1 second. Same everytime I try there after. Then try to close and makes close noise then cuts out.

I look in the manual. California Supplement.

Its says this Flashing Light means the roof hydraulic system is overheating, it advises you should wait a few minutes and try again (strange as haven't been doing anything to heat the system)...

Anyway I wait 10 minutes try again, same problem. Repeat x2.

I search the VW California Forum. Some posts suggest:

1. Restart the control panel - done, no change.
2. Look up error code on Control Panel.

View attachment 82129
View attachment 82130
View attachment 82131

I get error code 1000. I try to press escape for 5seconds but doesn't clear the code, just back to main menu.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And/or know what error 1000 means?

I'm guessing I will have to visit a dealer, but I'd really appreciate any insight, experiences, info that will help me manage the interaction with the Dealer, or if you have had the problem and found a solution.

Thanks in advance!
Roof Sensors have failed.

Roof Sensors have failed.

Thanks WelshGas, another quick and helpful reply - much appreciated. I'll have a read of this today and wrap my head around it.

Just had mine done. Exactly the same experience as yourselves - all fine then one day flashing, bonging noise when driving until into 2nd gear and no roof lift or resetting panel.
Dealers did it in the end as I couldn’t raise the roof to get at the sensors (even though I had bought them in readiness). It wasn’t cheap. DM if you need further details.

I have what seems like a reasonable (relative to some other horror stories in other thread) quote from SMG Cowfield to replace the Sensors, I believe using the splice method, 650+VAT parts and labour. Doing this job myself feels outside my skillset, esp as the roof will not open.

Booked for mid August, so will post after work is complete to share experience.

Thanks to Aztecamper for sharing their experience and WelshGas for pointing me toward the problem and detailed info.

I should add for others in the future that my original symptoms have now developed to include the bonging warning noise when driving until out of second gear, it thinks roof is open when its not; this adds to pre-existing warning light flashing, unable to open roof and error code 1000.

Last edited:
I have what seems like a reasonable (relative to some other horror stories in other thread) quote from SMG Cowfield to replace the Sensors, I believe using the splice method, 650+VAT parts and labour. Doing this job myself feels outside my skillset, esp as the roof will not open.

Booked for mid August, so will post after work is complete to share experience.

Thanks to Aztecamper for sharing their experience and WelshGas for pointing me toward the problem and detailed info.

I should add for others in the future that my original symptoms have now developed to include the bonging warning noise when driving until out of second gear, it thinks roof is open when its not; this adds to pre-existing warning light flashing, unable to open roof and error code 1000.
Good stuff. Get it done and enjoy the van again. And price appears pretty similar to mine. Good luck - back on the road soon

Good stuff. Get it done and enjoy the van again. And price appears pretty similar to mine. Good luck - back on the road soon
Thanks and agree. Only question now is whether I've diagnosed the problem correctly based on the symptoms, as there is now a three week wait till it visits the dealer. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out to be something different to the sensors.

Enjoy your summer.

I would be curious as to whether you can influence the roof sensor by either use of a magnet or a large lump (hammer head) of iron inside or outside of the van - but this would need knowledge of where the sensors are and which one are effective when open or closed. It might at least be possible to fool it enough to get the roof open .

One day (and I keep on promising this) I will work out how the mechanism works - so which sensors are triggered, by what and where they are...

Hi All,

A short post note to say the work was completed by SMG Cowfold yesterday i.e. replacing the Roof Sensors and Wiring Loom based on the diagnosis of original symptoms by those on this forum/thread.

The roof is now working again.

Thank you again for your help.

I asked SMG what the likely cause was/is for these faults and they say likely water corrosion of the roof sensor magnets. Mine is six years old and used regularly.

Also edited the thread name to include "Roof Sensors" for future ease of access / finding.

Hi All,

A short post note to say the work was completed by SMG Cowfold yesterday i.e. replacing the Roof Sensors and Wiring Loom based on the diagnosis of original symptoms by those on this forum/thread.

The roof is now working again.

Thank you again for your help.

I asked SMG what the likely cause was/is for these faults and they say likely water corrosion of the roof sensor magnets. Mine is six years old and used regularly.

Also edited the thread name to include "Roof Sensors" for future ease of access / finding.
Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

Is it possible to give an indication of the costs involved?

Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

Is it possible to give an indication of the costs involved?
Yes of course!

£650+VAT parts and labour with two year warranty.

For reference I originally contacted a number of VW Van Centres for quotes in the SE including Lookers Guildford, SMG Croydon, SMG Tonbridge, SMG Cowfold who all offered wildly different prices some quite extraordinary....

SMG Cowfold were the most competitive, in addition when calling I was put through to someone who sounded knowledable on the issue which built confidence, sadly unlike a number of other Van Centres where you are connected to a booking agent only and then confronted with a very large price and no option to discuss or challenge. Cowfold also offered a curteosy van which a few others did not perhaps due to Covid. The job was six hours.

Last edited:
Yes of course!

£650+VAT parts and labour with two year warranty.

For reference I originalling contacted a number of VW Van Centres for quotes in the SE including Lookers Guildford, SMG Croydon, SMG Tonbridge, SMG Cowfold who all offered wildly different prices some quite extraordinary....

SMG Cowfold were the most competitive, in addition when calling I was put through to someone who sounded knowledable on the issue which built confidence, sadly unlike a number of other Van Centres where you are connected to a booking agent only and then confronted with a very large price and no option to discuss or challenge. Cowfold also offered a curteosy van which a few others did not perhaps due to Covid. The job was six hours.
Thank you.

Dealers did it in the end as I couldn’t raise the roof to get at the sensors (even though I had bought them in readiness). It wasn’t cheap. DM if you need further details.
You say in your post that you had already bought the sensors. Where did you get them from and how much were they...thanks.

You say in your post that you had already bought the sensors. Where did you get them from and how much were they...thanks.
See here. First two paragraphs. Part number and eBay supplier.

Attachments

• How to Replace Roof Sensors 3.pdf
    792.9 KB · Views: 29
Think I paid about £15 each from bmw direct. Still got them if you want a couple.
Thanks for the offer and will keep it in mind. I do keep some spares IE. Hinges and control panel knob, ABS sensors and a few other bits but really really hope I don’t need to stock up on roof sensors. Not yet anyway.
Is there a visible sign on the actual sensor which one has gone bad. ie corrosion. Or is it replace the lot.

Thanks for the offer and will keep it in mind. I do keep some spares IE. Hinges and control panel knob, ABS sensors and a few other bits but really really hope I don’t need to stock up on roof sensors. Not yet anyway.
Is there a visible sign on the actual sensor which one has gone bad. ie corrosion. Or is it replace the lot.
Personally I couldn’t tell. They only changed the two that were not working so when I picked it up it was too late. Might change the other two myself

Personally I couldn’t tell. They only changed the two that were not working so when I picked it up it was too late. Might change the other two myself
Did you see them actually working on your vehicle? Or was it just handed over and handed back. I take it they just spliced 2 new sensors into the loom. Is that correct.

Did you see them actually working on your vehicle? Or was it just handed over and handed back. I take it they just spliced 2 new sensors into the loom. Is that correct.
They give me a choice. Splice them or renew whole harness at about £1000 more - and would need to go to Sinclairs in Cardiff. I opted for the splice. I still had to buy the full harness for them to get the sensors off to replace the duds on my van.
wouldn’t tell me how they raised the roof and did work behind in the bay out of sight. Didn’t take them long.

(
They give me a choice. Splice them or renew whole harness at about £1000 more - and would need to go to Sinclairs in Cardiff. I opted for the splice. I still had to buy the full harness for them to get the sensors off to replace the duds on my van.
wouldn’t tell me how they raised the roof and did work behind in the bay out of sight. Didn’t take them long.
Seems odd that they couldn’t just use sensors without destroying a complete harness. I think the harness is around £250 where the sensors are £15 each. But then I suppose that’s how they make their money. I think you can raise and lower the roof by releasing the screw behind the control panel. I hope you got the rest of the harness complete.

(

Seems odd that they couldn’t just use sensors without destroying a complete harness. I think the harness is around £250 where the sensors are £15 each. But then I suppose that’s how they make their money. I think you can raise and lower the roof by releasing the screw behind the control panel. I hope you got the rest of the harness complete.
Yes they give me the harness. VW do not sell just the sensors and the refused to use the ones I bought. So I actually have a complete harness (minus 2 sensors) plus 4 separate sensors in my garage!

(

We bought our van from Sinclairs Cardiff and I wouldn’t trust them to empty my portapotti. I think you probably went down the best route. I would imagine the most difficult part is raising the roof to get to the sensors. When I take anything for repair I always ask them for the old part. Did they show you the knackered sensors?

Back