Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof warning symbol flashing when lowered

Patrick T

Patrick T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Been away for couple of days and came to close roof this morning, worked ok till about 3/4 of the way down then cut out and instruction to start engine. did this and closed roof fully, checked everything I could and tried it again after about an hours drive as I thought it may be a voltage thing (?) Still flashing even after another hours driving so presume the voltage thing was a non starter. I note another thread with similar problem that was down to the hydraulics getting hot and yes it has been while we have been away so am hoping it's just that. Have fitted the roof straps as a precaution but the roof seems locked in place as normal.
Any other suggestions ???
Ta

Have you tried the hidden menu on the Control Panel.
Press and hold Lower R button and press Control Knob. New menu - Volkswagen Diagnostics - any fault codes? Take a note of any and then scroll to Reset/Delete codes and then Back to main menu.

So you were operating the roof without the engine running?
If so , no good.
My dealer advise is always have the engine running when open or closing the roof.

Cunning... Thank you I'll give it a try !!!
If so , no good.
My dealer advise is always have the engine running when open or closing the roof.
If so , no good.
Oh I see.... I'm certainly no expert but had never been told that the engine should be running, thought it was just ignition on ??

Cunning... Thank you I'll give it a try !!!

Oh I see.... I'm certainly no expert but had never been told that the engine should be running, thought it was just ignition on ??
A little bit of a contentious point. As you say, the hand book just states the ignition has to be on. As you, my Dealer who is fairly knowledgeable about Californias only mentioned that the ignition had to be on and in fact when demonstrating the roof did not start the engine.
So, Ignition On, engine On is debatable!

Some may say i am talking BS but thats what my dealer told me as so i do....
And i am in full confident that dealer is a very well known Cali expert in the BeNeLux

Some may say i am talking BS but thats what my dealer told me as so i do....
Agree, not about the BS but about doing what the dealer told you, but I still cannot find out why the ignition has to be on and which electrical system powers the roof as some say engine and some say leisure batteries. I wish VW were more forthcoming.