Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Won't Open - "Ignition On!"

Matt Jeffreys

Matt Jeffreys

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all. My pop-top roof won't open. T5 2011. Control panel says "Ignition on!". The thing is - it says that when the ignition IS on. Even when the engine is running. Batteries all at 100%. Most common solution I can find is to reset the control panel by holding the bottom right button for 5 second. The thing is - this doesn't seem to reset anything. The display doesn't acknowledge any kind of reboot or reset. Please help!!

Press the L hand bottom button. This switches OFF the panel. Wait 30 secs and switch on using same button. This restarts the Control Panel.

Holding the Bottom R Button and pressing the Knob for a few seconds puts you into the hidden menu. This includes a Diagnostic setting which shows if there are any Fault Codes. These can be Reset and cleared.

have you tried it with the engine running

Thank you for this :) I've already been into the secondary menu system and there were no faults in the VW Diagnose bit :-/ I've also switched the control panel of and on with the L-hand button. Same issue. I've even taken out and replaced the control panel fuse (thinking maybe that would reset it) but all the same problems continued. Head scratcher?

Thanks for replying :) Yes - it says "Ignition On!" whether the ignition is off, on or engine running. Annoying!!

Last edited:
Hi Matt ,

Are other functions thru the control panel working? Fridge,heater.?

Does it show faulty codes? There is a list availeble in the downloadsection....

Do you hear the hydolicpump running if you push the roof open button?

Did you check fuses , just in case?

Just some things worth checking ....

Just replyed in the other topic....
Why start two topics on the same problem? As it is probally about the same issue....this post is just a copy-past of the otherone..

Anyway if all this won't help it's up to the dealer or sleep downstaires:D

Try it on mains hook up. I had this happen to me once but after a weekend on hook up it worked fine and never had a problem since.
I know you say batteries are 100% but could be worth a try.

Try it on mains hook up. I had this happen to me once but after a weekend on hook up it worked fine and never had a problem since.
I know you say batteries are 100% but could be worth a try.
Thanks mate! Hooked up now and still not working.

Hi Matt ,

Are other functions thru the control panel working? Fridge,heater.?

Does it show faulty codes? There is a list availeble in the downloadsection....

Do you hear the hydolicpump running if you push the roof open button?

Did you check fuses , just in case?

Just some things worth checking ....
Thank you :) Everything works fine except the roof. No sound from the hydraulics. Fuses all checked and changed. Tried with electric hook up to. Still the same. Thanks for your suggestions!

Hmm ....very strange thing!
Dealer?

Try the other key?...never know:Nailbiting
Disconnect the battery(s) and reconnect
Pull out the controlunit disconnect it and back or try anotherone ( cali owners in your neighbourhood.

...or try again tomorrow ...afther all it is a VW there has been happening a few bizar things recent.

Check the fuses? The roof obviously thinks the ignition is not on, so there must be a break in the circuit that becomes live when the ignition is on ...

Just found this, may be of some help with diagnostics. It came off this forum, but the link at the end appears defunct:-

Error Codes for the VW California (for VW Technicians)

Push & turn the reset button for 3 seconds.

Turn the rotary/ push-button on the display menu diagnostics,

Select the display menu for VW diagnostics

A flashing icon on the display unit is for camping equipment indicating a fault in

that system.

The code is a four digit display.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor

temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside

temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

Read more:http://www.vw-california-owners-for...trical&action=display&thread=70#ixzz1biba6FRL

Hmm ....very strange thing!
Dealer?

Try the other key?...never know:Nailbiting
Disconnect the battery(s) and reconnect
Pull out the controlunit disconnect it and back or try anotherone ( cali owners in your neighbourhood.

...or try again tomorrow ...afther all it is a VW there has been happening a few bizar things recent.
BRILLIANT!!! Disconnecting the control panel and re-connecting it WORKED!! Thank you so much!

According to my friendly Cali dealer the roof will not elevate if there is less than 11.7 volts available, happens as batteries age. Hence hook up will cure this problem. Happened to me but after 200 mile run home roof worked fine off the batteries.

According to my friendly Cali dealer the roof will not elevate if there is less than 11.7 volts available, happens as batteries age. Hence hook up will cure this problem. Happened to me but after 200 mile run home roof worked fine off the batteries.

Just open the roof before you cut off the engine arriving at your pitch
When leaving the pitch start the engine close the roof and head straight off.
Never had an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Hi following the problem above I'm now having the same issue did anyone resolve it or was it a visit to vw just changed the turning knob for new as the knob 2as hit and miss to weather you could land it on the right setting when twiddling
Cheers

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Sounds like it was solved by removing the control panel and putting it back, which either means
A) it needed to be fully powered off or b) there was a loose connection in the back.

I would try disconnecting the battery in the engine bay first for 5 minutes to see if that fixes it. If not, pop the unit out and back in again. Worth a try before bothering a dealer

Hi following the problem above I'm now having the same issue did anyone resolve it or was it a visit to vw just changed the turning knob for new as the knob 2as hit and miss to weather you could land it on the right setting when twiddling
Cheers

It was fixed by taking out the control panel then removing and reconnecting the rear connections, as you've just changed your control knob you could have the same issue so worth a try!

Thanks I've done that a few times to no avail, been googling the hell out of it and it could be the switch in the ignition so that's next to change as its either making or breaking a signal?

Thanks I've done that a few times to no avail, been googling the hell out of it and it could be the switch in the ignition so that's next to change as its either making or breaking a signal?

Have you checked the Control Panel for any Diagnostic Codes and cleared them?

I very much doubt if it is the Ignition switch, unless you have any other symptoms. The Ignition On warning is only a safety system to ensure whoever is operating the roof is in possession of the Ignition key to avoid roof accidents happening eg children playing with the controls. I don't believe there is an actual signal from the switch itself.

Last edited:
Yep checked the diagnostic on the control panel and it's showing no faults at all, assuming when you get to the diagnostic on the menu I've pressed the control knob on and nothing shows on the display?

Can the roof be opened manually?

Can the roof be opened manually?

No, I don’t think so. Try disconnecting the main battery for five minutes and then reconnect to see if that sorts it. We had a problem whilst in Scotland earlier this year with the control panel saying the roof was not closed and it would not open and that is what we were advised to do. The battery disconnect did not work for us, but for some reason the roof just sorted itself out the next day and has been fine (touch wood) since.