Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roofbars!

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Looks like we'll be needing roof bars - we have the Thule Aerobars and two bike carriers so want to stick to that brand.

Do we have T-tracks or fixing points on our Cali roofs?!

yes they are T-tracks, I use the genuine VW roof bars, really good quality and easy to fit and remove, I think SMG can do an offer on these at the moment.

If you want to stick with Thule the part numbers you need are 869, 3034 & 751.

Brilliant - thanks!

Want to be able to use our two 591 Pro bike carriers so it needs to be Thule!

I think they are Thule rebadged (could be wrong but look the same fittings) only difference I could see when I looked at buying was official ones have no over hang. I went with the official ones. Hopes this helps.

Is there a slot along the top of the bars? This is what my bike carriers slot into.

Chris said:
I think they are Thule rebadged (could be wrong but look the same fittings) only difference I could see when I looked at buying was official ones have no over hang. I went with the official ones. Hopes this helps.

The overhang is really useful when tying boards to the roof - means you can put the straps underneath and get some serious tension going!

Full Thule Aerobar kit - £155. VW one - £230ish. Think I'll go Thule. :D

Nearly there!

A dealer has suggested the 862 (135cm) bars are the ones to go for on the Cali rather than the 127cm ones (869). Is he talking sense?!

Also putting them on and then putting things on them - on the drivers side you can clearly stand in the sliding door aperture. How about the other side? Step ladder needed to fit the bars maybe?!

Will probably just put surfboards on the roof most of the time.

I guess you can use either, it depends how much overhang you require, as for putting stuff on the roof, I am 6'3" tall but still need a step for getting my Kayak on and off, I use one of these as they fold up nicely in the back and is handy for putting any roof protection on ( Vanororak etc.) also make an extra handy table ! Much better than the plastic steps.

758569HBO111111X.jpg

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... ber=758569

Thanks again Martin! If the 127cm ones are long enough, I will go with them! No need for excessive overhangs!

Step idea looks useful!

Surfboards are easy as long as you can fit on one side. Front use the sliding door step. Back, close the sliding door and stand on the rear tyre. Ask a willing female to hold you up whilst you tie the strap :)

I'm thinking of getting the Thule sliding system. Anyone had any experience with it? I guess the awning would mean I could only slide it off the left side?

Found a user video

Seems it might rattle around a bit. Maybe that rattle would harmonically cancel out the one from my awning and result in perfect silence?

Last edited:
Back