Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roofbox placement

Blackedition

Blackedition

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there
We want to use our Thule roofbox on our holiday for the first time is it neccesary to put the box in the middle of the roof ?
Acces is better at one side but maybe no good to the roof hydraulics.
We want to use it to take our supboards.
Has anyone taken a inflated sup next to a roofbox for a few miles back to the campsite ?
Does it fit ?? Or not a good idea at all.
Thanx already

What's a sup?
On the car we always had the box to one side. Makes for easy access.

What's a sup?
On the car we always had the box to one side. Makes for easy access.
A Stand Up Paddleboard
We want to put the box on one side to
Never had problems lowering or popping up the roof ?
Thanx

As long as you don't exceed the 50kg, including bars. box SUP and contents, I believe you will be ok.

I found with my beach which does not have the Ocean/SE hydraulic roof just regular gas struts, that having the box to one side made it sag on one side when up. Maybe not be an issue with an SE roof though? On a beach 50kg you won't get the roof up.

I’ve often used a roofbox and always put it towards the (UK) driver’s side for easy access. As stated above, I’ve been careful not to exceed 50kg and have had no problems with the roof.

If you want to carry a board, you can exceed the 50kg limit up to the limit of the bars, if you don’t raise the roof till the extra load is removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW used to say upto 100kg for the bars without roof raised, but I believe they have now changed their recommendation to 50kg for both. I suspect as you say it would be fine however.

Only what I read here, may not be 100% accurate and should always treat the manual as the number one source I guess?

Back