Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rookie Error - Flat Battery

Ally Whitehead

Ally Whitehead

We have bern epically stupid and realised that ourCali’s main battery is completely flat. Yes, I’m going to get the AA out to start her up for us and take her for a spin!. Charging up the leisure one has at least meant we can open the doors and the alarm is working again. I’ve looked through old posts but can’t see any recommendations for a trickle charger that would keep it maintained over winter as we’ve not been out since autumn. Anyone any experience or recommend one to next time? Horse/bolted I know..!

If you leave it connected to hookup the engine battery will trickle charge on most calis (dependant upon the year).

Ah great to know, so once we’ve solved this cock up we should then just leave it hooked up out of use? I did wonder as there was a long ish period last year when we didn’t take her out but she didn’t flatten totally... but was on leisure charge. Thank you!

Ask your dog if its okay for you to fill in
your vehicle details,
edit profile :thumb

It seems you've trickle charged it a bit for the doors to open.

I use one of these for convenience. Its a CTEK Multi XS4003, currently in use on my BMW Z4.
Its a bit old now but has served me well. I am sure there must be a more up to date version if needed. You may need to do a little research as I know that some auto stop/start functions have an effect on best charging protocols.
Anyway you can check out their website as a starter before taking the plunge.
1584372197416.png

I use one of these for convenience. Its a CTEK Multi XS4003, currently in use on my BMW Z4.
Its a bit old now but has served me well. I am sure there must be a more up to date version if needed. You may need to do a little research as I know that some auto stop/start functions have an effect on best charging protocols.
View attachment 56260
Thank you!

I can second that recommendation of CTEK - absolutely superb!
And it is worth getting the extra connector that can be fixed to the battery, requiring only a simple in-line connector for frequent occasions of use (CONNECT EYELET M8).

View attachment 56260
I’ve one of these. Not only do they charge the battery but they “condition” it a well. I’ve fitted these to my leisure batteries as well (you can buy extra plug terminals) If you’re charging your leisure batteries, make sure you disconnect one (perhaps the one under the wardrobe as it’s easy to get at) before charging the other as they are linked in parallel. If you ever have to remove a leisure battery, make sure the live terminal on the one you’ve removed is well away from the chassis otherwise you’ll fry your wiring loom!

If you leave it connected to hookup the engine battery will trickle charge on most calis (dependant upon the year).
Be careful with this, I’ve a 2018 ocean and the battery went flat. Left it on charge to the mains for 2 days, nothing VW recovery came out and jump started it and I was told only the earlier models can charge the engine battery from the mains hook-up. Purchased a charger now, horse, stable door and bolted spring to mine in my case.

Be careful with this, I’ve a 2018 ocean and the battery went flat. Left it on charge to the mains for 2 days, nothing VW recovery came out and jump started it and I was told only the earlier models can charge the engine battery from the mains hook-up. Purchased a charger now, horse, stable door and bolted spring to mine in my case.
It is only a trickle charge, incapable of charging a flat engine battery.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this so apologies if not.
I’ve got a flat battery so got out my jump leads and checked in manual re connectors etc - says to connect negative to front tow bar bracket - accessible by popping off part of the bumper - which I’ve found impossible to do without leveraging it off and poss damaging the fascia.
why don’t you just connect negative to neg contacts ?
Any help with this would be v gratefully received- thanks

I’ve got a flat battery so got out my jump leads and checked in manual re connectors etc - says to connect negative to front tow bar bracket - accessible by popping off part of the bumper - which I’ve found impossible to do without leveraging it off and poss damaging the fascia.

My Ocean has been jump started in the past and I’m sure the cables were connected directly to battery terminals. I assume the advice is to reduce the risk of accidentally shorting the cables.

Do you have Bluemotion Technology and/or start/stop?
If not, you can connect directly to the battery.
You could also put the negative lead on a metal part of the engine.

To answer your question, the battery negative terminal has a battery sensing module attached to it so it is best to attach the jump cable to a metal part of the engine or chassis. If you look down the left hand side of the engine you should be able to see an earth strap that joins the engine to the chassis, this is also a good place for the negative jump lead.
However, if you have a Jump start pack (lithium battery pack) these have very small leads so you may have no choice but to directly attach it to the battery terminals.

Back