Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rookie mistake with the Cali awning

S

Scjones

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all. We are very new Cali owners having only done a few trips with the kids and this half term as a first proper “holiday” in Devon and Cornwall in October. Most of our 5 day trip has been good, some learning but overall we were feeling pretty good.
Until this evening: we had the built in awning out raised upwards, not too much wind but it seems too much rain. As we were chilling in the van we heard a massive crash and the awning had collapsed presumably under the weight of the rain. Then when my wife and I tried to wind in, the left arm snapped and smashed into my wife’s head causing it to bleed. Cue a hospital trip to glue her head back and the site foreman helping me fix the awning for travel at least tomorrow. Annoying end to a few days and especially last day of the trip but all still happy in the face of adversity. Don’t point the awning up in rain!!

I am hope you wife head is make good repair and she can function well soon.
Awning is better use only fine weather. is not strong to wind and rain. When is rain I put away and stay inside camper. I am recommend this behave to all.

Whilst I avoided half killing my wife, I just did something similar and I’m not a rookie :rolleyes:. You can buy a new arm and you’ll probably need a bracket: see my last post here:

Hope your wife is OK and has forgiven you.

Although winding in an awning if windy weather is predicted is the best option, you can buy storm guys from Thule which lock into the top of the leg and are a good design, or ones that slide into the awning rail under the leg cover made by Brandup.

If rain is predicted it is wise to drop one leg so the rainwater runs off the awning and down a leg. Drop the leg furthest for the route you take to the loo overnight to save your head!

Alan

A trip to the hospital is never good and hopefully your wife will be on the mend soon. Here is a tip if you intend leaving your awning out in the rain which you can do. Make sure that one leg is set shorter than the other by about 6 inches or so. The rain will not collect in the centre of the awning and will run towards the lower leg. Always keep the awning material as tight as possible when winding it out. There is always the Rafter pro which raises the centre of the fabric again preventing one big puddle on the awning. We have used both methods for 6 years and seems to work ok for us.

In rainy weather it’s best not to leave out more than 12 inches of the awning and no support legs. That way you have a little rain cover for the sliding door, and any rainwater can run off.

It is best to think of the awning as a sun canopy not a rain cover.

In rainy weather it’s best not to leave out more than 12 inches of the awning and no support legs. That way you have a little rain cover for the sliding door, and any rainwater can run off.

It is best to think of the awning as a sun canopy not a rain cover.
That's funny I view it other way round. We use ours far more for rain than the sun. If its rainy and windy i will wind out a one metr with the legs down.

If windy always use the tie downs and at night lower one of the legs in case of rain so that the water runs off. There is an additional center rib available that creates a ridgeline to prevent water accumulating in the middle causing a collapse

When I picked up our California Beach the hand over chat included the advice to always have the awning at an angle (to the front or back of the van) so that any rain flows off it.
I've not yet tried to put it out when it's been windy !

If you should purchase the centre rain rafter...Get the Fiamma one as to allows you to set at variable lengths, and simply wedges in the awning & is shorter to store.

The Thule rafter is not actually designed for the California awning so you need an additional bracket to fit which then needs to be screwed into the awning casing on the outside edge, it can only be set at one length (fully extended), and due to its position also rubs the canvas slightly which will most likely result in a hole over time!

As said above, drop a corner in the rain, that way you still have a dry(ish) area just outside the door for taking shows on and off etc.

Thanks everyone. VW where we bought the van can replace the entire awning for £840 which is quite a punchy mistake. Fortunately we have been able to claim on our car insurance and only £150 excess in comparison with protected no claims - thanks to Churchill Car insurance for that. Was cheapest insurance when we looked around originally and their customer service has been great. We are getting an entire replacement awning which is good.

Will definitely be heeding the advice of one leg longer than the other in future and will test with a pint of water to ensure running off when using it.

Hopefully won’t experience too much weather like we had during half term - extremely windy in Cornwall and torrential rain in Devon but will be better prepared next time.

My wife’s hole in the head appears to have healed :)

Check out the Fiamma ridge brace which is adjustable for length and designed to prevent exactly what occurred to yours in the rain

Check out the Fiamma ridge brace which is adjustable for length and designed to prevent exactly what occurred to yours in the rain
Thanks. I did look today but got a bit overwhelmed with the number of options. Do you know what model specifically works well with the VW Cali awning?

I don't know as haven't bought one yet but am intending to. Might pay to start a new thread as I'm certain there will be others out there who have bought and know which to buy.

I'm certain there will be others out there who have bought and know which to buy.
This is the Fiamma one we are using. You put it in place, and then wind in just a tad, which makes the rafter curve slightly up, thus making sure no rain puddles will form!

523076-523076-images_other-fiamma_rafter_1-ecommerce.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread: statistically we think we have used the wind out awning more as a rain and snow shield than as a sun shield... But always with rafter, one leg lowered, and storm guys.

This is the Fiamma one we are using. You put it in place, and then wind in just a tad, which makes the rafter curve slightly up, thus making sure no rain puddles will form!

523076-523076-images_other-fiamma_rafter_1-ecommerce.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread: statistically we think we have used the wind out awning more as a rain and snow shield than as a sun shield... But always with rafter, one leg lowered, and storm guys.
We have had one for a couple of years now and seems to work well. I use it with a cloth tied to one end to clean the awning when parked under trees and near bushes. We have learned from past mistakes that winding the awning back in and not 100% clean can cause real mess on the material.

Back