Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Route 500 advice

Prez

Prez

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi , thinking of doing route 500 could you help with places to stay in camper? Any recommendations for trip would be appreciate.

Have you joined this group? You might find it helpful.

Hi , thinking of doing route 500 could you help with places to stay in camper? Any recommendations for trip would be appreciate.
Hi @Prez, not done the NC500 yet but plan to when (if) things calm down a bit post the Covid frenzy. Loads of information on line and some good content on YouTube.

F2F1E70F-EA1C-40B1-B62A-773BC2E7DB45.png

Hi Prez,
Which way are you going to go, up the west side or the east?
I wouldn't go just yet....midges. We went in September/October. and used "Brit stops" wherever we could.
We went from Somerset & up the east side & came down the west side (which is stunning scenery)

22172D3B-A945-42A1-A718-5D41CE04ABF6.jpeg
Currently on it. Day 4 in Durness after heading up the east side.
Lots of resource online helped us plan our route.
We chose to stay in sites and not free camp mainly due to there being 4 of us. (Portaloo would have been too much hassle.)

Lots of free camping spots around though.
(Maybe next time when just two of us.)

No midges yet.
Will post something in the correct place on the forum on our route, our sites and our thoughts when done.

The Rough Guide is bringing a second edition of its NC500 (2018) in October 2021.
Until the BBC bought the Rough Guide* a dozen or so years ago (more?) we used their guides all over the US and Canada and Europe for finding interesting restaurants and places to get your head down.

When the BBC bought them, the value of their use plummeted and we gave them up.
My understanding is that the new version of the NC500 is in the old tradition so will be quite interested to see it. I'm not sure who owns the guides now after the BBC's failed excursion into doing "abroad".
* BBC might have bought Lonely Planet Guides not Rough Guides?

Incidently, the Rough Guide to Scotland 25 years ago had my two sons' band (El Hombre Trajeado - garage rock) as a band that should not be missed if you visit the country.

Last edited:
Hi Prez,
Which way are you going to go, up the west side or the east?
We were recommended to go up the east and down the west, as this way the scenery goes from beautiful to jaw dropping astounding. I have to say that was accurate...we spent 5 weeks hiking and biking in the northwest.

Midges were taken care of by locals' recommendation of Skin so Soft, which creates a sticky layer on the skin that midges get stuck in and struggle to death before they can bite. Gross but effective. Midges in the van were done with a mini USB rechargeable zapper, and lighting a citronella candle stopped them from coming in when opening the door. We avoided parking in low places with grass, looked for more exposed places with a little breeze, which whisks them away. Used a head net once in 5 weeks, as we were usually hiking to higher levels where they don't go. Also fitted midge net to the side window screen and the upper vents. We went in July and August, and I would do it again.

Last edited:
...we also went up the east & down the west.
We stayed in a pub car park supposedly for one night but ended up 2 or 3 nights, this is in Helmsdale. The landlady is lovely, campervan & biker friendly.

20210825_113637.jpg

In Saturday’s Guardian there were two articles about problems with campervan touring in Scotland. I think mainly clogging up ferries and some vandalism. Then in the travel section there was a piece recommending touring Scotland in your campervan!
I’d love to do the 500.

In Saturday’s Guardian there were two articles about problems with campervan touring in Scotland. I think mainly clogging up ferries and some vandalism. Then in the travel section there was a piece recommending touring Scotland in your campervan!
I’d love to do the 500.
We hope you get to do it one day.
The NC 500 is a good drive but after spending 30+ years travelling in and around Scotland including the 500 there are many more stunning areas you can visit to find awesome scenery and solitude.
We prefer the road less travelled and definitely out of season.

We hope you get to do it one day.
The NC 500 is a good drive but after spending 30+ years travelling in and around Scotland including the 500 there are many more stunning areas you can visit to find awesome scenery and solitude.
We prefer the road less travelled and definitely out of season.
Hi @BeagleMum have you done the Outer Hebrides? If so any tips?

Don’t do it all in one go….. the roads are clogged with campervans and Motorhomes and companies of motorbikes and scooters roaring round , and lots of cyclists ……apart from normal lorries and traffic……the roads are frequently single track with passing places, but even wider roads are twisting and tricky when there is lots of wider traffic….. better to go to a few places and enjoy them rather than having the frequent stress of driving……..and adding to the pollution.
I have also seen the damage to the countryside caused by the increased pollution over the last 15 years….. more visible signs are the remains of barbecues leaving scorched earth behind.

Don’t do it all in one go….. the roads are clogged with campervans and Motorhomes and companies of motorbikes and scooters roaring round , and lots of cyclists ……apart from normal lorries and traffic……the roads are frequently single track with passing places, but even wider roads are twisting and tricky when there is lots of wider traffic….. better to go to a few places and enjoy them rather than having the frequent stress of driving……..and adding to the pollution.
I have also seen the damage to the countryside caused by the increased pollution over the last 15 years….. more visible signs are the remains of barbecues leaving scorched earth behind.
The locals told me they preferred motorcyclists to camper vans, and as a biker and a T5 Camper I was much happier doing it on a motorcycle leaving campervans trying to pick their way past each other down single tracks. The pet hates of the usually friendly locals are disgusting toilet habits, inability to reverse, not using passing places to let others get past and dawdling. People live and make their livings up here. On the positive side, a T5 is a good sized van for this, the white whales are especially hated. Hired ones with crappy drivers are universally despised. So having literally got back from this eye-wateringly beautiful part of Scotland yesterday, go for the NC500 but with the most consideration you can manage and supporting local shops and garages and driving with your wits about you. Avoid bunching up in a convoy if you can. A convoy of 4 meeting a convoy of 3 is chaotic, slow and really irritating with one passing place.

The locals told me they preferred motorcyclists to camper vans, and as a biker and a T5 Camper I was much happier doing it on a motorcycle leaving campervans trying to pick their way past each other down single tracks. The pet hates of the usually friendly locals are disgusting toilet habits, inability to reverse, not using passing places to let others get past and dawdling. People live and make their livings up here. On the positive side, a T5 is a good sized van for this, the white whales are especially hated. Hired ones with crappy drivers are universally despised. So having literally got back from this eye-wateringly beautiful part of Scotland yesterday, go for the NC500 but with the most consideration you can manage and supporting local shops and garages and driving with your wits about you. Avoid bunching up in a convoy if you can. A convoy of 4 meeting a convoy of 3 is chaotic, slow and really irritating with one passing place.
I would give the 500 a wide birth in high season. The locals are irritated, the road clogged and many of the driver inconsiderate - that's how we found it. Out of season is very different, relaxing, local welcoming and the road empty at times. As said elsewhere, there are many fantastic places to visit away from the 500. The only good thing about the 500 now is that it is such a magnet for people that they don't know what they are missing by ignoring the off 500 spots. Scotland in the winter is quite special, but go prepared and with your vehicle in top notch condition - including the battery.

We have done it twice, two and half time to be precise, once East to West (best option) inOctober last year and West to East this May. Used campsites, pre-booked and one wild camp. We should have done more wild camping there are lots of places.

Currntly the locals are moaning about motorhomes and camper vans causing traffic jams and people going to the toilet at the side of the road etc.

As we went on Spring and Austumn, the roads were very quite and there were no midges. Both time were superb. We are planning on doing it again this Autumn and maybe wild camping more.

The Scotland Forestry and Land https://forestryandland.gov.scot/news-releases, allows self contained campers to use their car parks, for free for one or two night stays.

View attachment 83535
Currently on it. Day 4 in Durness after heading up the east side.
Lots of resource online helped us plan our route.
We chose to stay in sites and not free camp mainly due to there being 4 of us. (Portaloo would have been too much hassle.)

Lots of free camping spots around though.
(Maybe next time when just two of us.)

No midges yet.
Will post something in the correct place on the forum on our route, our sites and our thoughts when done.
Are you/were you at Sango Sands? My favourite campsite.

Sango Sands.jpg

Last edited:
Yippee, the English schools are back and its safe again to drive in the Highlands …. LOL

Haven’t been to your county for a while, Helmsley last visit. Thoughts of Robin Hoods Bay come to mind but at the moment, boy are places just too busy.
It’s ‘out of season’ for us from here on and I think some ‘all weather’ tyres