Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Routine cam belt replacement interval?

M

Mike Hammill

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, we have a 2016 T6 Beach with 21,000 miles on the clock. The local dealer wants to replace the cam belt but the VW website says it can be left another year? What should we believe? Should we leave it or get it done?
Best wishes to all,
Mike Hammill

It's 4 years or 80k miles i think, but definitely every 4 years, so it is due. Also major service time and brake fluid change.

Hi all, we have a 2016 T6 Beach with 21,000 miles on the clock. The local dealer wants to replace the cam belt but the VW website says it can be left another year? What should we believe? Should we leave it or get it done?
Best wishes to all,
Mike Hammill

We've just gone through the same - 20k on a 16 plate Ocean. We're on the 5 year warranty and so decided to go with garage recommendation as it's 4 years old, but not cheap at £585 inc VAT. Luckily already paid for the service plan and so don't have to pay out for the service that's also due.

We've just gone through the same - 20k on a 16 plate Ocean. We're on the 5 year warranty and so decided to go with garage recommendation as it's 4 years old, but not cheap at £585 inc VAT. Luckily already paid for the service plan and so don't have to pay out for the service that's also due.
OK thank you - will get it done. We do go on the continent and it would be a real problem if it went over there.

It's 4 years or 80k miles i think, but definitely every 4 years, so it is due. Also major service time and brake fluid change.
Sounds expensive! I got the brake fluid done a few month ago. I will get the cam belt done along with the MOT in early March - Thanks very much.

I not going to pay to have ours changed until our van is 6 years old but that is because it was changed under warranty at 2 years old.
@Mike Hammill -Say you have 5-year warranty and miss the belt change at 4 years old and it goes sure the warranty would not pay for the damage caused.

I not going to pay to have ours changed until our van is 6 years old but that is because it was changed under warranty at 2 years old.
@Mike Hammill -Say you have 5-year warranty and miss the belt change at 4 years old and it goes sure the warranty would not pay for the damage caused.
You're absolutely right, as long as VWUK sticks to this, in spite of what WV Germany recommends, you have to do it to keep your warranty coverage.

It might be entertaining to ask your UK dealer why the difference, and watch them try to answer, but I don't think for a minute that will change a policy that seems more for generating profits than for ensuring good practice. I was reviewing a previous post of mine about this and 210000km was the recommendation, with inspections every 30,000km and no time limit. Txforum.de users think 6 years is early, and 10 years is late.

But if you lived on the continent it would be still OK for years and many more miles.
I have a 4 service agreement and the 5 year warranty, either replacement it is a service item that should be included in the paid for service or it is a suggestion that is optional, who knows.

Totally agree that the UK has a different VW replacement plan for belt compared to Europe which should not be different. Having had a Nissan snap a timing chain a 12months old will remain in the UK advisory time scale for our Cali.

I had mine changed this week along with the water pump. I was advised they should be done every 5 years and I don’t want to risk it, even though the van hasn’t done high mileage.

When we bought our van we decided we would not skimp on any servicing or any advisories. That just doesn't seem right for a vehicle you pay so much for at the outset. It would cost a lot more to mend if there was a problem and the belt snapped. We all have to do what is best for us and this gives me piece of mind.

Thanks for the posts. I have a 2016 Ocean with 23k on the clock. Until reading I would never even have thought it would need done so early. Seems ridiculous when the same engine in Germany says different !. I intend to ask VW UK for an explanation - if I get a response I will let you all know. Thanks

Tell them there is a T5.1, one of the first ones, still driving around with it's first cambelt. 145000 km (90000mi), 10 years old.

I was told 4 yrs or 80,000 miles ( 128,000 Km ).

So I had mine done at 4 yrs, however unlike many I had also done 80,000 miles in those 4 years.

:thumb Far from it. I do not wish for it to be true at all.
The country the vehicle is manufactured in has no effect on the state of a cam belt at 145000kms. I’m merely pointing out that it’s on a ten year old van and hasn’t been changed, hence why the belt may be holding on to the engine by a thread

:thumb Far from it. I do not wish for it to be true at all.
The country the vehicle is manufactured in has no effect on the state of a cam belt at 145000kms. I’m merely pointing out that it’s on a ten year old van and hasn’t been changed, hence why the belt may be holding on to the engine by a thread
More than likely not...someone has to pay VW‘s fine!

Utter nonsense that a water pump has to be changed at the same time because it may be a false economy not too. I have driven many vehicles to over 100,000 miles and never ever had to replace a water pump. Scare tactics work on us all.

I have a 2012 Cali with 50,000 miles, how can I find out if the cam belt has been done?

I have a 2012 Cali with 50,000 miles, how can I find out if the cam belt has been done?
I would hope that VW have it recorded on their database, if it was done by a VW dealer. SMG should be able to check.

Sorry to resurrect this dull subject but could someone direct me to where the recommended intervals are stated for the toothed belt replacement? I can’t find it in either the manual or on the VW website.

My 2017 beach has done nearly 40k miles and I’d rather not shell out yet, but it has a year of extended warranty left, hence I’d like to read the small print.

My 2016 Golf GTE is also due for a major service inc toothed belt change, so I could be looking at well over £2,000 to carry out all of the recommended work on two vehicles that have spent much of the past year sat on the driveway!

Back