Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Routine maintenance

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
morning all,

Has anyone got a maintenance schedule they use to prevent issues like blocked drainage in the slide windows and roof?
Can you give advice on other common things to check regularly and what techniques you use?

Thanks in advance.

johntowers46

johntowers46

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Expansion tank water
oil dipstick
tyre pressures
windscreen washer
all lamps outside and inside
air con working, run regularly
fridge working
heater working

There you go to start with

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks for reply, sorry I must sound a complete numpty, I should of quoted not the normal checks of oils water and fluid levels.

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I tend to put on Hook up monthly and run the fridge while on hook up. I also run the heater as well. ( I note you have a beach so no fridge)

Eber123

Eber123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good afternoon,

I must admit that checks depend a little bit on the weather. I wait for a weekend with have way good weather (no or little wind):

• Recharge batteries - once month
  • Cleaning outside - when needed and the weather conditions are OK
  • Cleaning inside - one a week
  • Wiper cleaning fluids - once a week
  • Heater - only when it is cold
  • Fridge - no regular checks (I might change this)
  • Oil - no regular checks (I get the oil changed every year, beside this I trust that the new engine will have no problems with extensive oil use)
  • Tyre pressure - no regular checks (I did this on the Tiguan, but I don't know why I don't do this regularly on the van)
  • Roof - every 2 month (but this depends if the weather is suitable at the weekend)
  • Water tank cleaning - I have not done this at all (I will look into this in April ((may be Easter))
  • Gas system - only use it when out and about for picnic (not that often)
  • Awning - during the winter once a month (again this depends on the weather)
Regards,
Eberhard

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Good afternoon,

I must admit that checks depend a little bit on the weather. I wait for a weekend with have way good weather (no or little wind):

• Recharge batteries - once month
  • Cleaning outside - when needed and the weather conditions are OK
  • Cleaning inside - one a week
  • Wiper cleaning fluids - once a week
  • Heater - only when it is cold
  • Fridge - no regular checks (I might change this)
  • Oil - no regular checks (I get the oil changed every year, beside this I trust that the new engine will have no problems with extensive oil use)
  • Tyre pressure - no regular checks (I did this on the Tiguan, but I don't know why I don't do this regularly on the van)
  • Roof - every 2 month (but this depends if the weather is suitable at the weekend)
  • Water tank cleaning - I have not done this at all (I will look into this in April ((may be Easter))
  • Gas system - only use it when out and about for picnic (not that often)
  • Awning - during the winter once a month (again this depends on the weather)
Regards,
Eberhard
It is recommended, by Eberspacher, that the Heater is fired up for a hour or so monthly throughout the year, including summer months.

Grumpy Mike

Grumpy Mike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I would also remove each wheel and put some copper slip on the joint. I did it before my last Spain trip after reading something on here.... Glad I did.... they were almost welded on. Had to resort to Tyre and exhaust centre for one. Would not like that scenario when out on the open road...

Can swap the wheels around and clean/wax whilst doing this...

MrP

MrP

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I would also remove each wheel and put some copper slip on the joint. I did it before my last Spain trip after reading something on here.... Glad I did.... they were almost welded on. Had to resort to Tyre and exhaust centre for one. Would not like that scenario when out on the open road...

Can swap the wheels around and clean/wax whilst doing this...
Agree completely, had a right disaster on a campsite in France trying to get a wheel off. Took two guys with breaker bars in a workshop to get it off.

ALSO, once a year unwind and wind back up the spare hangar bolts as they can seize too!

Elmo the Ocean

Elmo the Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Most of mine covered above, plus...
Grease the spare hanger bolts and sparesafe bolt.
Silicon spray on roof mechanism / sliders.
Silicon spray on awning legs, door hinges, sliding door rails, boot struts, bike rack locks and arms and pretty much every moving part to keep things nice and smooth!

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks for all your reply’s, some good points to note :thumb

Our Partners