Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running engine to lower/raise roof

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I've seen threads on this subject before, but I can't find them now! I've just replaced both leisure batteries on my 2008 Cali, and was delighted to find after 4 days non-hookup that the batteries still showed 60% capacity! When leaving, I turned on the engine and lowered the roof (as recommended). The leisure battery capacity immediately went down to zero! I understood that running the engine avoided draining the leisure batteries when powering the roof. Is it because the roof motor actually comes off the leisure batteries, but they are (very slowly!) recharged by the engine battery while you're doing it?

As a guess I would say the pump motor load would be enough to drop the volatage to the 0 % thresshold giving an unreiliable indication of capacity and possibly the alternater current had not switched in to charge the leisure batterys as the priority would be to charge the starter battery first. My take on it anway...

I've seen threads on this subject before, but I can't find them now! I've just replaced both leisure batteries on my 2008 Cali, and was delighted to find after 4 days non-hookup that the batteries still showed 60% capacity! When leaving, I turned on the engine and lowered the roof (as recommended). The leisure battery capacity immediately went down to zero! I understood that running the engine avoided draining the leisure batteries when powering the roof. Is it because the roof motor actually comes off the leisure batteries, but they are (very slowly!) recharged by the engine battery while you're doing it?

The priority for the alternator is to charge the engine battery after starting, that can draw around 40amps for a short while at this point. Once the engine battery is back up, then the system will share the charge available between the engine and the leisure batteries.

The hydraulic roof pump will draw a largish current (I have no idea how much) when operated, so it's not surprising that the display dropped to zero at this point. The leisure batteries would not have been getting any charge from the alternator. Given the leisure batteries are new, I would not worry about that as they will recover very quickly on the drive home provided you also put the van on hook up once you get there. After 4 days off-grid, a decent charge will be a necessity as lead-acid batteries (wet and AGM) must be kept fully charged.

Do not put too much store by the display, it is far from accurate, consider it a guide to what is going on.

Given the roof is powered by 2 new leisure batteries and not the engine battery, there does not seem to be any point in running the engine when raising or lowering the roof.

Alan

Last edited:
I always run the engine when raising or lowering the roof. You get a warning initially but I just go back through the menu and select the roof again.

When I drive onto a site or where we are camping I raise the roof before turning the engine off, also lets the turbo spin down.
When I put the roof down, if I don't have to start the engine i.e. to drive off the levelling ramps I lower without starting, My reason is I will be starting anyway soon when we leave and lowering will not discharge the starter battery.
As soon as I start to leave the leisure batteries will be refreshed as soon as the engine start has had its fill.
I try to limit starting and stopping the engine on campsites.

When I drive onto a site or where we are camping I raise the roof before turning the engine off, also lets the turbo spin down.
When I put the roof down, if I don't have to start the engine i.e. to drive off the levelling ramps I lower without starting
[...]
I try to limit starting and stopping the engine on campsites.
Exact same here!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. All is explained (the engine running giving priority to the engine battery before charging the leisures), and I'm glad there's nothing to worry about. I totally agree with the reluctance to run engines when not absolutely necessary on campsites.

Hello,
My leisure batteries on my 2008 cali have to be replaced. What brand and type are your new leisure batteries?
thnx
Marijn

Hello,
My leisure batteries on my 2008 cali have to be replaced. What brand and type are your new leisure batteries?
thnx
Marijn
The family campervan business I went to in Shepton Mallet (UK) recommended Duracells, at £100 cheaper each than original VW batteries! More powerful too, apparently. So far, they seem to be fine, but time will tell.

57-plate 97K miles old 5-pot engine.

I replaced my engine battery for the first time over last winter in Glasgow.
Used the AA whose battery van didn't carry the one required so driver went off to get it from a depot after ringing to reserve it. Excellent service. No price premium either (I checked). Impressed.

The two leisure batteries are originals and still seem to be holding their charge.
I very very rarely charge them from our home electric supply too (probably three times).
Seemed to have just been lucky I guess.
The longest they've propped up the fridge, auxilliary heater and reading lights without an electric hook up has been 5 days on the totally fabulous beachside campsite (some farm beginning with an f i think) on Mull near the ferry to Iona.
I did look into replacement prices a year ago and came up with the Duracells as above supplier fitted free.

I was having an issue with the roof coming down a wee bit squint but the roof still closing ok. After much deliberation (and argument!) with 2 VW dealers and VW warranty I was advised that it was not an issue provided that the roof locked down ok. I was only satisfied with that when they agreed to put it in writing. At that time I was advised to raise the roof with the engine on and bring it down with ignition light on but the engine off. Cant remember the justification though!

If I go on hookup, I just plug in the mains, and then raise or lower the roof.
If not on hookup, I still trust the leisure batteries to give a smooth 30 - 40 A for a couple of seconds to raise or lower the roof. The good thing is, I have no BMT or stop/start, so when I drive all 3 batteries are just being fully loaded. Every time.
I still don't really get the real point not to charge the batteries while driving. What will be the more fuel consumption? If my batteries are full, the voltage stays at 14V, but the charge to the leisure batteries is 0A. Sometimes even -0.4 to +0.2. Then the alternator doesn't have to work hard too, so I have less consumption too.
Why would I charge my batteries while going downhill or while braking, then to find out my leisure batteries are not really topped up?

Used the AA whose battery van didn't carry the one required so driver went off to get it from a depot after ringing to reserve it. Excellent service. No price premium either (I checked). Impressed.

The two leisure batteries are originals and still seem to be holding their charge.
I very very rarely charge them from our home electric supply too (probably three times).
The longest they've propped up the fridge, auxilliary heater and reading lights without an electric hook up has been 5 days on the totally fabulous beachside campsite (some farm beginning with an f i think) on Mull near the ferry to Iona.
I did look into replacement prices a year ago and came up with the Duracells as above supplier fitted free.
Very lucky!

I thought my cali was old (early 2008), but yours sounds like a real vintage! Amazing how much you can get for old ones now - I could sell mine for more than I paid for it, and I bet you could too!IMG_0291.JPG

The priority for the alternator is to charge the engine battery after starting, that can draw around 40amps for a short while at this point. Once the engine battery is back up, then the system will share the charge available between the engine and the leisure batteries.

The hydraulic roof pump will draw a largish current (I have no idea how much) when operated, so it's not surprising that the display dropped to zero at this point. The leisure batteries would not have been getting any charge from the alternator. Given the leisure batteries are new, I would not worry about that as they will recover very quickly on the drive home provided you also put the van on hook up once you get there. After 4 days off-grid, a decent charge will be a necessity as lead-acid batteries (wet and AGM) must be kept fully charged.

Do not put too much store by the display, it is far from accurate, consider it a guide to what is going on.

Given the roof is powered by 2 new leisure batteries and not the engine battery, there does not seem to be any point in running the engine when raising or lowering the roof.

Alan

Mine tells me to turn on engine to lower roof and won’t do it unless I do even when I’ve been on hook up. A message comes up on the display.

I'm still on my original batteries too Barry,
The batteries must have been hit with cost cutting in around 2009.

Like marks and spencers underwear, not like they used to be.

I had a 3hr hand over when we got ours back in 2006,

i was told to always have the engine running when raising and lowering
the roof so i always have and never had any problems with the batteries.

I'm still on my original batteries too Barry,
The batteries must have been hit with cost cutting in around 2009.

Like marks and spencers underwear, not like they used to be.
Then I am lucky that my California was made in 2009. I almost never charge between october and april, except for driving to and from work (12 km single trip), and my batteries are still quite good.
Even my starter battery is still original, and as it was a van in stock from november 2009 to may 2010, I don't think the van had it's batteries charged in that time.

Then I am lucky that my California was made in 2009. I almost never charge between october and april, except for driving to and from work (12 km single trip), and my batteries are still quite good.
Even my starter battery is still original, and as it was a van in stock from november 2009 to may 2010, I don't think the van had it's batteries charged in that time.
Your radio will soon kill your battery so you better start looking for
good replacements :D

mine are still original leisure batteries
Still have original batteries just had a look after standing for a week and are on 100% . I always run engine to raise and lower roof the one time I didn't it came down uneven.

From the replies I see here and with batteries lasting 10 years it’s truly incredible.. My van was 3 years old when I had the batteries replaced under Warranty... It was discharging at the rate of 10% per couple of days or less with nothing connected...other than dash cams front and rear but I think that is the main battery not the leisure batteries...(could be wrong) They checked both batteries and said that they were knackered and replaced them both. Even now I make sure I give it a charge for 24 hours every month.. Normally they are down to 40%... at £250 a go I don’t want to have to replace them fo a good while...

I imagine that the 12 KLM’s driving per day is enough to keep your batteries topped up without need to separately charge them.. Mine stands around sometimes for weeks on end so have to charge them every month Like the manual says..

Back