Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running out of gas - what do you do?

A

AndyStatham

So we've had our California for around 5 years so we're used to the gas running out. It's never really too hard to find a place to buy a replacement canister but recently we found ourselves in a remote part of Scotland with no mobile signal and no gas. Which got me wondering what other people do - is there a way to monitor the amount remaining or maybe evenn carry a small spare? Any ideas welcome! Thanks.

Campingaz 904, same fittings half the height but same diameter. Useful as a spare.

I have more than one bottle, if going on a long trip put a full one in, if only away for a few days swap it for a half full, nearly empty use it for the BBQ at home. 3 bottles, the most expensive was £5 on eBay.
You can weigh them to get a good idea as to how much is left & I would rather refill a half empty one than run the risk of running out somewhere inconvenient.

Check before every "big" trip the wieght of the botlle , you can count out how much is still in.
If your off on a trip and think you fall without gas just put a new full or half full on at home no worries underway looking foor gas and no need to carry two bottles.
The botlle with just a few amout gas you just but back in if going away a weekend or so....
With a half full botlle i you can still cook lany meals.

Check before every "big" trip the wieght of the botlle , you can count out how much is still in.
If your off on a trip and think you fall without gas just put a new full or half full on at home no worries underway looking foor gas and no need to carry two bottles.
The botlle with just a few amout gas you just but back in if going away a weekend or so....
With a half full botlle i you can still cook lany meals.
What would you expect the weight difference to be between a full bottle and an empty one? Obviously individual empty bottles will all weigh slightly differently so I am interested as a guide only.

The actual bottle weight, and full weight, is stamped on the bottle iirc

We find the 907 last us about a year. But now put a new one for long trips then use up part bottle between trips

Thanks fir the replies - very useful. Our van is always jammed to the rafters so taking a spare is a bit of a last resort - but maybe on a long trip...? Anybody ever used the level indicators you can buy in Amazon? Caravan, Motorhome, Camping Magnetic Bottle LPG Butane Propane Patio Gas Level Indicator. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001I28QO6/?tag=eliteelect-21

Campingaz 904, same fittings half the height but same diameter. Useful as a spare.
Slight gas paranoia here - assuming it's used as a spare are there any additional precautions you need to take? I'm guessing it would have sporadic use, and be stored somewhere in the boot of the van - not in the sealed container...

Thanks fir the replies - very useful. Our van is always jammed to the rafters so taking a spare is a bit of a last resort - but maybe on a long trip...? Anybody ever used the level indicators you can buy in Amazon? Caravan, Motorhome, Camping Magnetic Bottle LPG Butane Propane Patio Gas Level Indicator. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001I28QO6/?tag=eliteelect-21

Bought one in the club starter kit, but never made it work, du to the welding on the middle of the bottle …

But the weight must be a precise indictor. Maybe I will bring my luggage weight to check. Fit perfect in the handle of the bottle … must try that.

We always carry a spare bottle that doubles as bottle for the Cadac when we use that.
In Scandinavia and Iceland there is no Campingaz, so we brought two spare bottles.
When the cap is on, you don't need any extra measures. Just put it/them in the booth.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

I run out of gas 2nd day into my last trip.

However I carry a camping gas camp bistro, they only cost 10 quid, great for cooking outside and for the rest of the trip I used that, Takes 250 gas cartridges, one of each fit neatly into my running shoes when I am travelling so always have plenty of spares without taking up space.

Last edited:
sf%207.5kg.jpg

Slight gas paranoia here - assuming it's used as a spare are there any additional precautions you need to take? I'm guessing it would have sporadic use, and be stored somewhere in the boot of the van - not in the sealed container...
Correct . Keep it sealed with cap on.

We also carry a 907 bottle in the boot as we normally cook outside.
For our five week Norway trip we actually took three full bottles as it's not possible to get Campinggaz in Scandinavia. We actually used about a full bottle between the inside cooker, used mainly for brewing up on the road and outside cooking a full meal each night except four and toast for brekky so was quite surprised how long it lasted.

We always carry a second full 907 bottle with us, although this is in general not necessary at all.

Follow this math:

Empty bottle weighs: 3850 Gram
Maximum filling weight (gas): 2750 Gram
So, a full bottle weighs: 6,6 Kilo.

One burner uses max 114 Gram of gas per hour.
Two burners use 228 Gram per hour.

Making tea, baking eggs, cooking macaroni on one burner gives you 2750 / 114 = 20,7 burning hours.

If you are a scrooge like me, and turn the gas button to a minimum (no, not anti-clockwise, but clockwise to the far right; simmering), then you can easily double the burning hours to 40 (for one burner). And then: my tea and macaroni are boiling in minutes, not in hours. So even a half full bottle may last for a trip of 4 weeks.

Gas_907.jpg

Using a spring balance: anything above 3,85 Kilo (= empty bottle) means you can still make (some) tea that day.
More practical is: you only need to shake the bottle to know the truth: do you hear gas splashing, then you're save for that day.

Btw: I found out that my 907 Campingaz bottles have different tare weights (= the empty bottle itself) stamped in the iron ring at the bottom. My new one says: 3,85 Kilogram, an older one has 4 KG stamped in it. The stated contents may also vary, from 2750 tot 2950 or even 3000 gram of gas. So, best to stay on the safe side.

A tip for next years holiday: change your empty gas bottle on the continent, in Holland I find a filling for 25 euros, in Italy this year I paid even less: 21 euro.

Filled regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Guess when threre is more demand the price will drop , if you count the Campers in France and Holland that carry Campinggaz:D.
@briwy , carrying three is just a bit overkill , no?
On our trip last year three weeks Norway , just put a fresh botlle on before heading off , sure of you have a leak....done with inside coocking. Or did i take a spare ....can't remember .

I usual don't take a spare , but got a cheapo outside coocker using small cans of gas u can buy everywhere in DIY shops...

@methley , they will not fit the botllecarryer in the booth .

Last edited:
Just because of the exchange-program for the bottles (opposite to refill your own bottle) I do not like CG and I'm looking for an alternative for next year. I don't like the idea of exchanging a half full bottle just to be sure on a trip. Since I worked in a camping shop I know how much gas CG is selling (at least) twice.

I also don't like to have a heavy extra bottle in my trunk as extra luggage.

For emergencies I use to take my old and reliable MSR Whisperlite with me which runs on kerosine and unleaded fuel. Maybe I will exchange it for the XGK which runs even on diesel...

Agree with @marchugo re buying on the continent. I paid just 21 euros on my most recent trip to France
We are currently in Spain, and needed to change our empty 904 that we use outside. The Campsite at Roses sold replacements and the office duly charged me €15 for a refilled 907! They didn't have any 904 refills apparently.

Thought that was a bargain.

Alan

We have a smaller-sized CG bottle for use with the Cadac barbecue. If we ran out altogether we've got an electric kettle so I'd still be OK as long as we had a hookup - need my tea!

We have stopped taking spare CG bottles mainly because we never seemed to,use them.
Unlike many on the forum who are quite adventurous, we camp almost entirely where we can get a hookup and use our electric cooker for cooking and the electric kettle for that other essential, tea.
Incidently most of our camping is done in Francd or Spain or wherever it is warm!

We have stopped taking spare CG bottles mainly because we never seemed to,use them.
Unlike many on the forum who are quite adventurous, we camp almost entirely where we can get a hookup and use our electric cooker for cooking and the electric kettle for that other essential, tea.
Incidently most of our camping is done in Francd or Spain or wherever it is warm!
...and where cold food is fine & it's easy to buy a nice cup of coffee!

Back