Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust above windscreen - Help..

J

Jonty54332992

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Folks,
My first post, so apologies if I've put this in the wrong area.

RUSSSST..!
Looking at a California, a 2010 vehicle, have noticed rust evidence appearing above the windscreen (at the front of the roof 'spoiler'). Can anyone help with:
1) Probable cause?
2) Potential solution?

Also, we believe that the vehicle had a 'corrosion repair' done by VW in 2018.. so hoping that VW will put it right, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

20230510_170234.jpg

20230510_170224.jpg

20230510_170218.jpg

20230510_170213.jpg

No problem with your post - butso sorry you’re having these issues. We’ve no experience of rust, yet, but I’ve long suspected that this metal to metal joint could be a hotspot - the leading edge can catch stone chips etc., and a joint like this can act like an electrolytic cell. It’s something I’ll be keeping an eye on.

You need to find a decent bodyshop (possibly classic car restorer) who works with aluminium. It‘s a very common thing, I had mine done by a superb place last year, brilliant job. I wouldn’t take it anywhere near VW.

Looks like the vans had a the front cap repaired/replaced. The rust being to the steel of the windscreen surround and just below the sealant between the ally roof cap. The rust needs removal to fresh steel then primer and top coat. Access maybe an issue depending on how far back under the ally roof cap the rust goes. Maybe worth considering a diy repair and accepting its a job needing repeating every few years if you cant remove all trace of the rust.

As @Nik_campervan says it‘s probably a matter of diy fix every few years. if you get hold of a bore scope it’s possible to drop the roof liner and check that the rust isn’t inside and check that there’s no water ingress. I had the all too common drain leak which was allowing water to get into the gap between the alloy cap and the steel frame.
I wouldn’t bank on VW being any help. Their approach with dodgy roof repairs is to take a step back and tell you that it’s the body shop’s responsibility.

That looks to me like the VW plastic cap repair, applied when the original alloy spoiler is heavily corroded. If buying, I would avoid that van and try to find one that hasn't had the roof fix.

You need to find a decent bodyshop (possibly classic car restorer) who works with aluminium. It‘s a very common thing, I had mine done by a superb place last year, brilliant job. I wouldn’t take it anywhere near VW.
Please would you mind sharing whi did your corroded roof repair please and location many thanks Dave

Looks like the vans had a the front cap repaired/replaced. The rust being to the steel of the windscreen surround and just below the sealant between the ally roof cap. The rust needs removal to fresh steel then primer and top coat. Access maybe an issue depending on how far back under the ally roof cap the rust goes. Maybe worth considering a diy repair and accepting its a job needing repeating every few years if you cant remove all trace

That looks to me like the VW plastic cap repair, applied when the original alloy spoiler is heavily corroded. If buying, I would avoid that van and try to find one that hasn't had the roof fix.
Yep, think so, don't think seller is keen to repair as would be required unfortunately . We need 100% peace of mind that any repairs carried out will last and not just be a 'sticking plaster'.

Back