Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust marks around cooker

The T-ster

The T-ster

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My Calis is only 8months old. When i bought it 4 months ago thwre were just a couple of wee what looked like rust marks in the gas cooker area. Just last week, and i use it every weekend, i opened the glass lids to find this! I was appalled and disbelief.

What should i be cleaning this with or is this a fault? What the heck?! All advice welcome!

93ECC59E-6E5B-49A9-B91A-5B3C46E91EA1.jpeg

22CEA83B-0FF7-4950-8739-BFFA1EF3EBE0.jpeg

There have been posts about thesame spots in the sink area (on T5 models i think it was ) , as the whole is one piece in thesame material try and look up older posts and see what they used to clean it of .

My Calis is only 8months old. When i bought it 4 months ago thwre were just a couple of wee what looked like rust marks in the gas cooker area. Just last week, and i use it every weekend, i opened the glass lids to find this! I was appalled and disbelief.

What should i be cleaning this with or is this a fault? What the heck?! All advice welcome!

View attachment 64559

View attachment 64560
Nothing abrasive. I use Ecover Surface Spray and a cloth or paper towel.
To get that, as new finish, wipe the whole surface with a paper towel with a few drops ( 2-4) of Johnson’s Baby Oil. Gets it back to the satin finish with no smears.

Nothing abrasive. I use Ecover Surface Spray and a cloth or paper towel.
To get that, as new finish, wipe the whole surface with a paper towel with a few drops ( 2-4) of Johnson’s Baby Oil. Gets it back to the satin finish with no smears.
OK thank you, I had just been using washing up liquid with a little kitchen sponge. Will try that.

Do those marks wipe off?
Not with the sponge, they are like rust stains. This shouldn’t be happening as have been in another California before buying mine, and this never happened.

Not with the sponge, they are like rust stains. This shouldn’t be happening as have been in another California before buying mine, and this never happened.
Is your vehicle within warranty?

Yeah as still virtually brand new
Give it a gentle clean. If the spots aren’t removed easily. Warranty claim. Any trouble from the Dealer then get in contact with VW Customer Services.
The hob is stainless steel and shouldn’t rust, but just occasionally you get a batch that can.

Give it a gentle clean. If the spots aren’t removed easily. Warranty claim. Any trouble from the Dealer then get in contact with VW Customer Services.
The hob is stainless steel and shouldn’t rust, but just occasionally you get a batch that can.
Ok thanks for this! Much appreciated!

Yeah as still virtually brand new
You shouldn't need to be cleaning rust off a stainless steel hob. Get it back to the dealer and changed. There's no way this is acceptable.

You shouldn't need to be cleaning rust off a stainless steel hob. Get it back to the dealer and changed. There's no way this is acceptable.
I agree but if easy to sort, would save alot of hassle. Bought in england and i live in NI, so would be into a dealer under warranty. It’s definitely bad!

I agree but if easy to sort, would save alot of hassle. Bought in england and i live in NI, so would be into a dealer under warranty. It’s definitely bad!
I really feel that you shouldn't have to deal with it. But everyone has to do what suits them.

Found this on the Internet for you, but the baking soda (bicarbinate of soda, not baking powder) paste is something I would have suggested anyway. If a water mix isn't effective try white vinegar instead of water. Use the soft cooking barcarb of soda rather than the scratchy cleaning bicarb that you can buy in places like Wilko.

Removal of oxidized stains and even “surface rust” can be done by using a paste made from baking soda and water or a cleaner that contains oxalic acid, such as Bar Keeper's Friend Soft Cleanser. If using baking soda and water, use a cloth or soft bristle brush, rub the baking soda in the direction of the grain.
Here's the labels from Bar Keepers Friend. I've never used it but you can see it's not as eco friendly as the bicarb.
BarKeepersFriend.JPG

I really feel that you shouldn't have to deal with it. But everyone has to do what suits them.

Found this on the Internet for you, but the baking soda (bicarbinate of soda, not baking powder) paste is something I would have suggested anyway. If a water mix isn't effective try white vinegar instead of water. Use the soft cooking barcarb of soda rather than the scratchy cleaning bicarb that you can buy in places like Wilko.

Removal of oxidized stains and even “surface rust” can be done by using a paste made from baking soda and water or a cleaner that contains oxalic acid, such as Bar Keeper's Friend Soft Cleanser. If using baking soda and water, use a cloth or soft bristle brush, rub the baking soda in the direction of the grain.
Here's the labels from Bar Keepers Friend. I've never used it but you can see it's not as eco friendly as the bicarb.
View attachment 64577
DO NOT USE THIS. It will leave a scratched surface that will be noticeable and any subsequent warranty claim will be refused.

It is good stuff, but not on this occasion.

Is there anything you could have dripped or left on there on there, there are a number of things that make stainless steel rust including: Sea water, Milton sterilizing mixture and leaving some "ordinary" steel touching it.

If you are still under warranty I would take it back before you try cleaning it with anything other than soap and water, otherwise you run the risk of them saying you made it worse.

However, if you are looking to clean it, a car detailing iron fallout remover may do a decent job, something like Autoglym Magma. It's specifically designed to remove iron contamination from paintwork and wheels and is ph neutral. Always test on a small bit first.

There are numerous grades of stainless steel. Some will show rust spots from the carbon inclusions others you could bury for a hundred years and will still look perfect. I manufacture motorcycle brake discs and the Stainless steel we use will show rust spots because of its high carbon content..But stainless steel sink tops shouldn’t show any rust spots at all. There is a possibility that the batch of stainless used in the manufacture of the tops was the wrong grade or faulty...I would definitely take it back to the dealership and complain because if this has happened in only a few months think what it will look like in a few years..

here's mine. 4 years old and cooked many bacon butties on it. I use a cloth or wet wipe on the grease. Then Johnson's baby oil . Get it back to the dealer and show them what it should look like after 4 years and lots of use.

20200817_162348.jpg

Last edited:
here's mine. 4 years old and cooked many bacon bottles on it. I use a cloth or wet wipe on the grease. Then Johnson's baby oil . Get it back to the dealer and show them what it should look like after 4 years and lots of use.

View attachment 64605
Nice to see a cooker that someone is actually using. Mines almost 6 yrs old , blued gas burners but everything else as new.

Nice to see a cooker that someone is actually using. Mines almost 6 yrs old , blued gas burners but everything else as new.
Use it all the time . I dont get why people don't. I read earlier one guy was scared of the naked flame in this van ? How did he think the cooker worked when he bought it ?

Use it all the time . I dont get why people don't. I read earlier one guy was scared of the naked flame in this van ? How did he think the cooker worked when he bought it ?
The reasons I don’t often cook inside my Ocean:
  • Love cooking outside -in all kinds of weathers (kind of innate primeval urge), my hubby thinks I’m nuts
  • I’m a VERY messy cook and spread out all over, not conducive to sharing a van with another (very tidy) human and a dog (who’s even tidier than me)
  • I love food and have no willpower. If the van had the slightest smell of food I’d be constantly hungry (&/or eating)
  • It avoids the potential for WW3 to start and the van can remain an oasis of calm and peaceful tranquility (where married bliss can blossom)

Thanks
DO NOT USE THIS. It will leave a scratched surface that will be noticeable and any subsequent warranty claim will be refused.

It is good stuff, but not on this occasion.
Thanks for this, I have just used soap and water so far.

I def cook in t
The reasons I don’t often cook inside my Ocean:
  • Love cooking outside -in all kinds of weathers (kind of innate primeval urge), my hubby thinks I’m nuts
  • I’m a VERY messy cook and spread out all over, not conducive to sharing a van with another (very tidy) human and a dog (who’s even tidier than me)
  • I love food and have no willpower. If the van had the slightest smell of food I’d be constantly hungry (&/or eating)
  • It avoids the potential for WW3 to start and the van can remain an oasis of calm and peaceful tranquility (where married bliss can blossom)
I definitely cook in the van as have so many intolerances and prefer my own anyways!

Back