Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust spots on the roof mechanism struts/arms

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Our March 17 Demonstrator has got rust spots all over the mech struts both sides, this can't be right, i don't ever remember our last two cali's having this? anyone experienced this before?

full

full

full

Visit the dealer and get it sorted. This is a fault and totally unacceptable.

I have a theory on it, I think the dealer has sprayed something on it during the cleaning process, like an acidic cleaner of some sort as when we picked it up the black awning rales also had a funny looking effect on them, I'm going to try cleaning them properly first and rubbing a sealer of sorts on them and if that doesn't sort it I'll be back to the dealer. I hate going to the dealers for anything zero faith in VW commercial garages :headbang

If it was due to being sprayed at the dealers would you not expect to see corrosion on the other part of the mechanism? Also from the picture it looks like the corrosion is on the underside of the u shaped arm. If the dealer had been cleaning I doubt if he'd bother to clean there. It's definitely not right whatever the cause.

I would be very wary about rust on the arms staining the roof fabric.

It's an odd one - presuming these are zinc plated (cannot be hot dip galvanised I think to show rust spots like that). Either a faulty batch got through QC at VW or something odd as you describe has attacked them. Try cleaning with a mild Scothbrite or similar and see how it fares after that - could just be surface marking.

Can you post a higher res large pic or real clear close up?

It is not normal we had no spots like than on our SE after 5 years and use in all conditions. Rather odd.

Are you located near the sea , use it a lot near the sea....?
Salt can do a lot of damage!

Don't give VW an opportunity to cop out of their warranty. Any sign that you've had a go at fixing it could.

Blimey ours is 8 years old and the struts look nothing like that.
Definitely get it back to the dealer and insist on getting them replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The grandchildren have got chickenpox, the neighbours children's across the road have got chicken pox, and now it seems there is a chance that the Cali could have rust pox. Luckly it seems that it will only affect her arms, and then only causing little rust spots, unlike the other VW virus, electrolytic corrosion, that could results in nasty unsightly scabs on her roof. I'm glad I take took out extended health cover for her when she was born.

Discovered the same on ours last month and now treated it with rust killer/primer and a coating of WD40 ! It is a bad Galvanised job to the steel.
Our Cali was registered in March 2013 but if you have the 'Yellow' inspection card with vehicle you will see approx month year of build in our case it was Sept 2012 so ours is coming up to 5 yrs old !
Had the dreaded roof and front panel repaired by the so called VW approved repairers 'Nationwide crash centre or should I say 'NationwideCowboy and Co '!
As for your Cali take it back to the dealer you bought it from or a dealer see what they say about rust warranty don't let them fob you off saying it does not cover them.
I will report separate now about the roof rivets I forum!

How exactly do you get rid of the rust spots. Mine is nowhere near as bad as the one in the picture and it seems to be beginning at the edges of the struts.

I thought the struts were stainless steel, if they are it looks like to me those in the photograph have been contaminated with something containing steel or iron.

Hi. They don't look like stainless steel. The first 2 pictures show the rust spots. The other shows a split cover on the sliding mechanism. I don't think they are linked but to replace it would mean taking the mechanism to pieces. Has anyone else seen this. Thanks

20190225_141359.jpg

20190225_141411.jpg

20190225_141452.jpg

In conclusion to my original post, we took it back and VW changed all of the mechanisms and a ram? all under warranty and the kitchen unit was swapped out too as that had white spots on the silver trim. Big claim!

Turns out my original theory was correct and the valeters at the dealership had sprayed a acidic cleaner over the van and probably not neutralised or cleaned it off quick enough.

I don't even own the van anymore.. now proud owner of a Ocean Edition.. my Forth Cali :)

Back