Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust underneath ?exhaust

BippinsVWClub

BippinsVWClub

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi All,

My husband was cleaning our Cali the other day and spotted some rust and a crack on what I think is the exhaust but I’m not sure (please see pictures below). It is a 2015 cali SE which we have had for about 6 months - the garage we bought it from did a full service & MOT prior to buying.

Is this something we need to be worried about? We have extended warranty for 5 years and if it’s an issue I think it should be covered.

Thanks,

Frances

00B4CBEB-497F-4C7F-8263-7BC4281068E6.jpeg

09CE8492-63FA-4418-A3CC-A952789F7E91.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like the box had rusted through ?

There seems to be a hole in the silencer box.
You would have thought it would have been picked up when having a service unless it’s just the outer skin. One way to tell is by starting the engine and if possible try and put your hand over the hole to see if it’s blowing.
It’s doubtful that the exhaust would be covered under warranty but you would need to look at the small print first.

Those exhaust boxes are double skinned, I had to remove a tatty
part of mine for it to pass the MOT.

I would say its nothing to worry about.

IMG_1485.JPEG

Thanks for your replies! Thinking about it this probably counts as “wear and tear” so you are right it wouldn’t be covered. Might just pretend we never saw it and hope for the best… haha

Thanks for your replies! Thinking about it this probably counts as “wear and tear” so you are right it wouldn’t be covered. Might just pretend we never saw it and hope for the best… haha
I have a 2014 and it looks similar and has no problem passing MOT as mentioned above they are double skinned. If it's not hanging down and it's not blowing (exhaust gas coming out) then it shouldn't fail. You can normally hear a blow it's quite noisy.

Back