Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sad end to holiday but praise for VW assistance

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We’ve had our California 57reg for nearly 7 years. Bought locally in Bristol from the original owner it’s hardly missed a beat during our ownership.
Every year we’ve taken it to Portugal via France and the ile de Ré and Noirmoutier before heading south to Portugal where I have a small home in the Algarve and we spend the summer. I’m a teacher.
This year the van ran as usual until an hour or so south of Salamanca where I’d filled for the first time ever with diesel plus to “give it a treat”.
This might be totally insignificant, I’m not sure.
Anyway, cruising at around 2000 revs and progressing nicely the yellow coil light appeared. I immediately stopped and rang Heritage VW in Bristol and asked their advice. I had over 400 miles to drive and they said I could drive a short distance but not that long.
After starting up and the light not on I drove 10 miles before it appeared again.
I was towed via VW assistance to Plasencia and 5 days later I left with a new turbo charger. €1800 lighter in the wallet I drove to Portugal without trouble other than the mpg showing 25-28 but no more and a feeling the Cali was underpowered.
VW assistance covered the hotel expenses at €60 a night for 5 nights as well as the recovery costs.
On my return to the UK just over a week ago I drove around 300 miles without an issue other than poor fuel consumption.
We stayed in the Parador in Plasencia (a beautiful hotel) and the following day after 30 miles of gentle driving the same light appeared.
We were taken back to Plasencia while the van was towed back to the main dealer’s the next day where they looked at it but found nothing and gave a clean bill of health .
Next day and 6 miles the light plus limp mode appeared again.
It is being brought back to the UK on a truck.
VW assistance helped with another 3 days of hotel, hire car, flights back to Bristol and were totally professional.
Their concern and contact were first class throughout.
I would certainly recommend them.
As for the van...I’m hoping Terry and his team at Heritage can identify the issue on its return.
It changed our 9 day return but we made the most of it with VW’s help.

No I didn’t have it. Had I been aware of it I think I’d have had it.
I’d recommend VW assistance.
They have been first class.

Is there a description of the exact problem/fix in there somewhere?

Will cover you until your VW is 10 years old. In my view very competitive price.

I assume a new Cali will be covered during its original 3 year warranty and 5 years extended warranty period by VW assist ? After that do we / can we pay annually for the VW assist ? I understand my dealer would be the best place to call to get the answer but if anyone can confirm here that would be great, thanks.

I assume a new Cali will be covered during its original 3 year warranty and 5 years extended warranty period by VW assist ? After that do we / can we pay annually for the VW assist ? I understand my dealer would be the best place to call to get the answer but if anyone can confirm here that would be great, thanks.
I don't believe you are covered for any Warranty extension over and above the initial 3 years.

You can get VW Assistance from 3 to 10 years.

I don't believe you are covered for any Warranty extension over and above the initial 3 years.

You can get VW Assistance from 3 to 10 years.

Thank you. So, we have VW Assist for the first 3 years from new, and thereafter we can buy a further 3 years ?

Thank you. So, we have VW Assist for the first 3 years from new, and thereafter we can buy a further 3 years ?
You can buy extensions in 1 or 2 year periods upto 10 years.
It is cheaper than Full AA and European Membership.

My understanding is from year 3 to the end of any Warranty period, if abroad, any warranty repairs you will have to pay for yourself but reclaim from VW UK within a specified time period.
VW's only have a 2 year Warranty outside the UK.

My understanding is from year 3 to the end of any Warranty period, if abroad, any warranty repairs you will have to pay for yourself but reclaim from VW UK within a specified time period.

Thanks again, appreciated.

This was a big debate a while ago on forum but as stated VWA only 3 years in UK and not part of extended VW warranty (shame) It is I my view really good value for c£75 a year with 2 year package.

Is there a description of the exact problem/fix in there somewhere?
Not from the diagnostics in Spain but I'm sure we'll get it sorted here in Bristol.

The specified period to inform a UK dealer is 14 days from date of the invoice. Ridiculous imo if you are away for any length of time. Solution appears to get the foreign dealer to email the invoice to a UK dealer within the time period.

Here.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/assistance

When I extended it at the beginning of the year £150 + for 2 years. More expensive for 1 year.

Exactly the same benefits as VW Assistance for the initial 3 years of a new VW.

I've insured our Cali with Safeguard and that includes UK and EU breakdown cover with the AA as standard. Hence I didn't extend the VW 3 year warranty when it ran out shortly after buying the vehicle (and it came with 12 months Das Welt cover from date of purchase).

I'd have thought Safeguard is a very common insurer for the Cali so is there a difference between it's breakdown cover and VW Assistance? I wasn't offered it by the dealer when the original VW Assistance ran out. A bit confused and not even sure you *can* buy it new as against extend an existing cover.

Stew

Back