Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safe load on 13 amp socket in Ocean

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’ve searched for a definitive answer on the wattage you can plug into the 13 amp socket in the Cali but can't find one.

Would a 1500watt heater be OK? I’ve just bought one of those “Diddy Heaters” from the shop.

I pay for an EHU up in Wales but always use my diesel heater, which seems a waste.
The heater has 2 settings, 750 watt & 1500 watt. Just wondering if it is safe to use the higher setting.

I’ve searched for a definitive answer on the wattage you can plug into the 13 amp socket in the Cali but can't find one.

Would a 1500watt heater be OK? I’ve just bought one of those “Diddy Heaters” from the shop.

I pay for an EHU up in Wales but always use my diesel heater, which seems a waste.
The heater has 2 settings, 750 watt & 1500 watt. Just wondering if it is safe to use the higher setting.
I have used a 2000 watt fan heater without problem, some sites are only rated at 6 amps so that would be the limiting factor.

As a rule of thumb 500 watts will about 3 amps

3kw on a 13a plug but don't forget the campsite might have a 6 or 10amp supply.

I have been using a similar diddy heater coupled with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W5XR598/?tag=eliteelect-21

as the built-in thermostat is next to useless. This works for us and saves diesel. As stated above, a load up to 3kW should be okay and limited mainly by the site supply capacity.

As has been reported on the Forum, limited use of the Diesel Parking Heater has led to problems for some owners.

As has been reported on the Forum, limited use of the Diesel Parking Heater has led to problems for some owners.

Winter or Summer, fire it up monthly and run for an hour or or so.....that should keep it ok and in usable order.

On my 1992 Yacht I do that and it’s still running OK.

3kw on a 13a plug but don't forget the campsite might have a 6 or 10amp supply.
OK, 3kw on a 240v supply is 12.5 amps according to Ohm's Law. I am sure I have read somewhere that the whole Cali should draw a max via the hook up of 2.5kw. That would be just less than 10.5 amps.

On page 48 of my "California Supplement" it says that the "Maximum power rating is 2,500 watts."

OK, 3kw on a 240v supply is 12.5 amps according to Ohm's Law. I am sure I have read somewhere that the whole Cali should draw a max via the hook up of 2.5kw. That would be just less than 10.5 amps.

Supply is actually now 230v
Therefore 13.04A

Most campsites in the UK seem to be a 16A supply.
Abroad, anything between 6-16A
Italy being the worst country.

limited use of the Diesel Parking Heater has led to problems for some owners
But you have to take that with the proverbial pinch of salt because forums are notorious for being places where people complain about things but don't go on there to say how great things have been. (This one is a bit of an exception having said that.)

We for one have had no issues whatsoever with only occasional use of the parking heater. Last use a couple of weeks ago when a neighbour asked if they could have a look round because they were thinking of buying one. Time before that, I'm really not sure.... And it worked without a glitch. So even though some members may have reported issues, that might not be the 99.99% that haven't.

On page 48 of my "California Supplement" it says that the "Maximum power rating is 2,500 watts."
My Cali is protected by a 13A supply.

My Cali is protected by a 13A supply.
?? not quite sure what you mean by that but according to the T6 supplement booklet that came with my Cali at 230v the max load should not be more than 10.83 amps (2.5 kw).

?? not quite sure what you mean by that but according to the T6 supplement booklet that came with my Cali at 230v the max load should not be more than 10.83 amps (2.5 kw).
Yes, just seen that in my booklet. What I was saying was the supply in the Cali has a max load rating of 13a, this is the double pole rcbo unit. Max load for the socket is stated at 2.5kw, 10.8a. I guess this leaves spare capacity for charging the leisure battery etc.

But you have to take that with the proverbial pinch of salt because forums are notorious for being places where people complain about things but don't go on there to say how great things have been. (This one is a bit of an exception having said that.)

We for one have had no issues whatsoever with only occasional use of the parking heater. Last use a couple of weeks ago when a neighbour asked if they could have a look round because they were thinking of buying one. Time before that, I'm really not sure.... And it worked without a glitch. So even though some members may have reported issues, that might not be the 99.99% that haven't.
Esbacher who make the heater advise in their Manual - Monthly use of 1 Hr minimum. Only quoting what the Manufacturer says. What you do is upto you.

Esbacher who make the heater advise in their Manual - Monthly use of 1 Hr minimum. Only quoting what the Manufacturer says. What you do is upto you.

Webasto say the same too.

Got mine to come on for for 30mins once a week on a Sunday afternoon as I would never remember. Catches me out every time when I’m in the Cali at the allotted time.

Mike

A=W/V- that is correct.

Make sure the current marked on the device is well below 13A
3000/220=13,6A
3000/230= 13,0A
3000/240= 12,5A
if they mean 3000W at 240V there is no problem ..
I would never use a device with such hig power rating inside my cali.
We travelled all seasons for 2 years now and never used hookup at campingsite, diesel heater works perfect , very low consumption, and we never stayed more than 4 nights at one site without driving away. Leisure batteries refill very quick at > 20A.
@Olle: thanks for pointing at my mistake by marking original message 'funny' :oops:

Last edited: