Safe lock and Camping.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Ok. I know about the Safelock function. When you lock the California with the remote, 1 press, or key in door , 1 turn, the vehicle is locked with Deadlocks on and interior alarm active.
If you lock with the remote, 2 presses, or key in door, 2 turns, or with the switch on the Drivers door then the vehicle is locked WITHOUT the Deadlocks and WITHOUT the interior alarm.

Now this is the tricky bit. The switch on the drivers side B pillar.. This is normally Yellow in colour. If pressed it turns Red. This allows you to lock the vehicle with the remote as normal, but disables the interior alarm and Deadlock until the vehicle is unlocked . Correct?

So is Yellow, interior alarm ON and RED interior alarm OFF.?

The handbook is not very clear.

I would like clarification on this as well!

lock your self in and try it yellow then try it red, give it a few minutes, jump about.

Pressing the button, turns off the sensors inside and the shock sensor, but leaves the doors locked and the alarm working if access is attempted from outside. I've not tested it, but thats what the dealer told me when I picked it up a few weeks ago.

Yes, Yellow is interior and motion sensor on, and Red is these off.
I think you need to press the button again to reset the alarm system to normal as it doesn't reset automatically on the next lock up.

May be wrong on this last bit as I only use the button when we are on a ferry and always toggle the button manually to make sure.

Alan

I'm pretty sure when we tested it, that red was interior alarmed and Amber was it deactivated. I now always think of it as red meaning interior is a no go area or alarm will sound. We found too that if we deactivated it with the switch on the pillar, it didnt reactivate the interior alarm automatically just using normal locking and unlocking with remote. We had to press that switch again to activate it and turn it red.

As clear as mud. I do wish manufacturers would adhere to the KISS principle.

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid.

Copied this from one of granny jen post and it is correct. I hope jen does not mind me posting this?

The light on the drivers door pillar has two colurs. When the drivers door is open it glows red if the alarm is not deactivated. Press it and it glows amber. now the alarm is deactivated. Shut the door and lock as normal.

You must go through this cycle every time you unlock.

Red means neighbours awake ..... amber means neighbours can sleep peacefully.

I have tried setting it with just the side door open and that seems to achieve nothing so now I shut everything up, open the drivers door, press the switch, see that the colour has changed from red to amber, close drivers door, lock up.

John

Yes. Only the Drivers door open allows you to change the alarm setting on the pillar switch.
Have to wait until I get home to play around more. No immediate neighbours. On a campsite in Oxford at the moment.:thumb

Hello. Just picked up this thread in trying to solve my last 'normal daily life' problem in my new Cali. This is how to lock the van for a few minutes with the dog inside if, for example, I want to pop into a shop for some milk or go for a shower on a campsite. The manual is not clear (to me). The last couple of times I've popped out thinking I've deactivated the motion sensor with the switch on the door post, it's been to the accompaniment of the alarm going off after a minute or so.

Welshgas, I'm hoping you have solved the problem for me! It's sounding like you can only change the alarm setting if you open the DRIVER'S door to do it. I've been pressing the switch after opening the side door. I think a few edits to the Manual are called for on this one.

If you lock the van with the actual key rather than the fob doesn't that disarm the motion control too?

If you press the key fob button twice you'll be ok. The first press locks, deadlocks and alarms. The second lock deactivates the deadlock and alarm.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OK really dumb question coming up - what is the difference between locking it and Deadlocking it?

Thanks.

Deadlock means the doors are locked and cannot be opened from the inside. So if you shut the Mother-in-Law inside she cannot follow you. That is the Safelock. The internal alarm is also armed.
Normal locking locks the doors so that they cannot be opened from outside but can be opened from the inside.The internal alarm is disabled.

1 blip on the Remote engages Safelock ie: Deadlocks and Internal Alarm.

Not wishing to confuse the issue but once I set the door pillar alarm it stays that way until I alter it no matter how many times the doors are open and closed

Alan

These are my key scenarios:

1. Leave the van in a city centre car park. One blip with the remote enables safe lock (dead lock + internal alarm).

2. Leave the van with roof elevated at the campsite to go to the pub. Two blips with the remote (to lock it, but not set the internal alarm).

3. Lock the van whilst sleeping in (in a dodgy area maybe). Use the switch on the driver's door. This locks it, but does not set deadlock or internal alarm.

Have a got it right? Not really sure when I'd use the switch on the driver B pillar?

Thanks.

Campsite is fine with roof open and one blip

Have a got it right? Not really sure when I'd use the switch on the driver B pillar?

Use the switch on the B pillar when leaving dogs in the van whilst locked or on a ferry. The internal sensors are not activated when the switch is orange but you can only use the switch when the drivers door is open, then shut the drivers door and one blip on the remote.

But Snowy55 doesn't that have the same effect as just blipping twice with the remote?

Thanks.

Yes one confirmation away from getting it nailed!!

I guess the thing is to try it out using various permutations one rainy Sunday.

On the "locking subject" I found the manual completely unintelligible, and it needs re-writing in simple easily understood English.

:).

Just to add to the fun on this one guys... Have tried this with 3 different vans next to each other and unsurprisingly the behaviour is different depending on the model year of the van...

Don't expect to get a definitive answer on this one... try the different options on your van to double check.

For instance:-

Double click didn't disable volumetrics on a 2009 but did on a 2012
B Pillar switches could be activated by opening sliding door on 2009 but needed drivers door on 2012
2009 reset to normal state and needed disabling each time, 2012 needed to be manually reset to normal

The differences go on...

Rgds

Mark

Back