Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safety Net re-use as Storage Ceiling

Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

Is it an office? Is it a lounge? Is it a camper?
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Since this safety net was just lying around I thought of giving it a real use as a handy storage for stuff like scarves, maps,... or to install an extra LED spot above the table, or make a starlight ceiling with LED garlands, etc ...
I first kept it in its entirety, and folded it under the mattress. This way you can only use it when the roller shutter is open. At the end I decided to just cut it, and fix it with elastics underneath the mattress. If ever I need a security net, I still can use the other small net and fix it to my curtain rod with the clamps of my cabin curtain (see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/show-me-how-youve-made-your-interiors-your-own.19968/page-4 )

IMG_0599.jpg IMG_0605.jpg IMG_0606.jpg

View attachment 30739

Last edited:
never thought of that. mines hanging in the garage doing no safety things at all

What happens if you push the bed up ?

When you push up the bed it just follows ;-).
I've put an elastic with two hooks underneath the mattress so that I get tension on the ribbon in front, and so that all the stuff stored doesn't fall out.

Auberg-ine storage net.jpg

Can you find me the link to the thread about your wonderful table map. I've been researching doing that this afternoon.

Just click at the link in my message here at the start.

When you push up the bed it just follows ;-).
I've put an elastic with two hooks underneath the mattress so that I get tension on the ribbon in front, and so that all the stuff stored doesn't fall out.

View attachment 30750

So that bar just stays there....? Would be pretty much in the way for me

No, the bar is not fixed, it just pushes itself against the borders, and you can simply roll it to the front if you want to, together with the small net.
But personally I just leave the bar at his current position. It's not disturbing to mount into the bed, and when the bed is raised e.g. when cooking, I use it to hang my towel on, or kitchen accessories...
You can also use the rod to hang a foldable Ikea wardrobe (Svira), which just fits between the chairs.
Or do your daily pull-up exercises ;-)

Last edited:
Besides the ceiling light I also fixed the remote controller for the heater in the net, and the bluetooth speaker. For the heavier books there's the Ikea Skâdis (3€) hidden behind the bench. This way they don't fall out when turned into bed.

Aubergine magazinetas.jpg

I just used the piece of the safety net that was left over after my previous storage ceiling job, to make an extra net in front of the airplane cabinet. Perfectly fitting for my shirt bags that till now were stuffed down in the wardrobe.
Also installed two cheap stainless Ikea hooks, sliding between ceiling and rail, for wet coats that I don't want to hang on the chairs, and the Brandrup mosquito screen...

IMG_E1611.jpg IMG_E1605.jpg

Last edited:
Great ideas.

I prefer, if anything, the net at the rear (in front of the 'airplane cabinet' as you call it). For us that would be really useful as a place to put things in the evening that we need for the morning. How did you fix it?

There are two ways to fix it.
Or you do it like in the front part, with elastics going underneath the bed frame.
Or like I did here, fixed with tape at the bottom where the lower ceiling is resting on. This way it becomes a shelf when you raise the bed. Handy to put e.g. the beamer on. The integrated rod comes in usefull in this case.

Back