Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sale Value of my Cali before I get another help?

C

Chainline

VIP Member
A bit of a straw poll this one. My Cali is coming up for 3yrs old in April. Its one of the first facelift models 180DSG with lots of options. My plan was to buy it at the end of the PCP period but my company has introduced a new company car policy for those of us that take the money instead (We have a 150kg CO2/km limit.

A condition of the payment is the vehicle must be under 4yrs or 80k miles. What I don't want to do is buy my Cali and then have to look to sell it 9months later!

Its done 42k trouble free miles (One out of calibration oil quality sensor did cause it to get an extra service FOC ;) and the roof bellows were replaced after a tear) (Its our daily driver) and served us very well indeed and been well looked after by local VW dealer. I want to get another so it's either another PCP on a new one (Although the package looks much less attractive than when I purchased mine) or find a nearly new 2012 model at a decent price that will last me another 3-4yrs. The reason I bought a new one was not only couldn't seem to find the options I wanted but also prices seemed so close to new..

2010 Pearlescent Deep Black 180 BiTDi DSG
All the usual std stuff plus
17" Thunder alloys (tyres are all very good. New set on the front at 35k, likely to have new set on the back before sale)
Climatronic
Leather Multifunction steering wheel
Cruise Control (Cant remember if that was std!)
Privacy glass
DAB radio
Ipod/multi connector into radio unit
Smoking pack (just so I got the cup holder and an extra charging point)
Headlight washers
Auto Dimming rear view mirror
Rain sensing wipers
rear bumper cover
mudflaps
Rear bumper cover

And I could include but imagined transfering them...
VW bike rack
Awning
Removable towbar

Condition is excellent overall. There are some small stone chips on the bonnet (These are being fixed next week) and a couple of small marks on the drivers door upholstry (A bit like jumper fluff/bobbles.
I'm trying to get an idea of the value before I slump off to the classifieds to compare s/h and new...I ask ask there seems to be quite a range. I'm a bit gutted really as I can't afford the same spec again as its now above £50k in this spec.

I was thinking around the £35k mark but there seem to be some similar vehicles go for a lot more. It seems every 10k on the mileage drops about £800 which is fair enough. Though our engine is still improving in mpg terms and is better than ever, but I know the early ones had tighter tolerances on the engines before they got a better idea of how they performed over time in the emissions tests.

Any help appreciated. I need to advertise it in the next couple of weeks I think and organise another vehicle.

Is your company policy based on perception when visiting customers? If so is it feasible you could overcome the problem with a private plate?

It would take a keen eye to realise it's age if it's a FL.

I'll have another look in for sale. I've looked previously but the sold don't list the prices do they and what people are asking is not necessarily reality.

stu, my company's policy is allegedly based on safety. It's a large corporate and the policy seems to have no leeway. In most ways I am crazy not to buy mine. I even considered buying it and getting another super cheap small car to satisfy the policy, but we just don't need two cars

Do you have a figure offered to buy it?

Does the amount of money you recieve relate to the type or capacity of the vehicle you have to have. Are there such things as minimum of 5 doors/5 seats?

Could you manage with a runabout? It looks like you don't do very many miles.

You know I am struggling to see past buying it. Yes £18.5k to buy it. I can have a super small car. Now wondering buy the Cali and at 4 yrs get another company car but super small/low BIK tax that they pay me to have..

It is almost certainly worth 18.5k so that's a no brainer. However there are a couple of other questions that remain outstanding -

Do you actually use it as a leisure vehicle / camper?
Do you have a continued use for such a vehicle?

If the answer to those is yes then one further question is (and you sort of already answered it) -

Can I afford to replace it?

Probably no.

So in my opinion, if you still have the need for it and would like to keep it and a small car suits your work requirements then that's a no brainer too.

Keep the van and let your company buy that for you with the CC payments and get yourself a commuter.

I can see a VW Up for < £100 on a 2 year deal (albeit with a 5k miles limit) -

http://deals.selectvehiclelease.co.uk/d ... .php?c=776

But when you dig around you'll turn up something similar, I have seen fully maintained cars for not much more.

Back