Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

same old topic...

Never had 19s
My last few vans had 18s, apart from my T4 which had 17s.

Personally I like to see some rubber on a van. I think it looks better. It’s just getting that balance right.

This was my old T4, 17s lowered 60mm
View attachment 60593

Old T5 18s, lowered 30mm
View attachment 60594

Old T5.1 Beach 18s on standard. It needed lowering.
View attachment 60596

Current van is on standard suspension and 17s.
My next job is lowering and I’m gonna have spacers fitted to bring the wheels out 20mm all round.
Keeping my eyes peeled for a decent set of Amarok 18s at sensible money too.
Amorak wheels have 10mm less offset than Cali so no need for spacers.
If you need a spare Amorak Durban 18" with a 235/55/18 104 Continental tyre I've got one, yes it fits the rack. Sold the other 4 that I had.

I need some advice and this thread seems full of experts before I make my own post. I just changed out 18” Dakar wheels for 17” with General AT3 tyres for a balance of performance on unpaved roads when I surf, but I do also hit the highway for one big trip each summer. Last year made it to southern France and back from Newcastle. I have a 2006 T5 SE 2.5, no 4motion though so I’m not going anywhere crazy off road.

When I bought the van it already had the VW 30 MM sport springs. With the new wheels and tyres on I have a couple issues:
The sliding door rubs against the outside of the rear tyre for the last 5 inches or so (still can open it all the way) and tyres rub on full lock.

I’m thinking the former could be resolved by returning the van to the stock ride height, The springs seem to introduce a slight negative camber which makes the wheel stick out a little on the bottom. my friend has a set of standard springs from his T30 Kombi he said I could have, but I’m not sure if they are the same springs installed on a stock California... I’m thinking this might be a sensible 1st thing to try but I don’t want to compromise ride quality and don’t want to cheap out if they aren’t the right item.
I would consider lifting it a little bit above stock too.

I think an air suspension it’s probably not worth the investment on a van this old at probably £4000+, but if I can get great on and off road handling with quality shocks and springs I’ll spend £1500 to get it. I’ve seen Seikel kits with Bilstein shocks for around that but not sure how the on-road handling will be compared to the original setup

as for the rubbing on full lock are wheel spacers the likely solution?

OLD
View attachment 62278
NEW
View attachment 62279

View attachment 62280
Looks like you have too little wheel offset on the new wheels which makes the front rub the front outer arch. Spacers will only make the problem worse.
Standard 17" wheel offset is 55 and anything below 45 puts the rim further out and if lowered the front arch rubbing problem is a risk.
I've noticed that the Off-road type wheels have an offset that suits Amoraks (30 usually) but is low for for Transporter based vehicles unless on a raised suspension as well.

Update: here are the springs my friend said I can have. 2 grey 1 green - are these worth a try or not the right ones?

IMG_3160.jpeg

IMG_3159.jpeg

Recently put some 18” Sportline wheels on our van. Haven’t gone as far as lowering yet, but possibly in the future. No noticeable difference in ride.

1689A66E-71A8-408F-A756-5A295D853C9E.jpeg

Perhaps there should be more discussion about tyre pressures? The two different approved sizes of tyres for the 17" have (from memory) 10psi difference in pressure, and moving between them makes a massive difference in comfort over potholes / speedbumps.
What pressures are folks running on 20" wheels? Is there a stated figure or is it trial and error?

Perhaps there should be more discussion about tyre pressures? The two different approved sizes of tyres for the 17" have (from memory) 10psi difference in pressure, and moving between them makes a massive difference in comfort over potholes / speedbumps.
What pressures are folks running on 20" wheels? Is there a stated figure or is it trial and error?
From what I've gleaned from comments about pressure to run on 20" wheels where normal size is 275/40/20, to get the load rating needed, 42psi comes up.
Problem with the wide 275 tyre is getting even wear due to any - or + camber wears the inner or outer edges and add the problem of tyre central wear into the equation it becomes very much trial and error for that particular vehicle and its load.

From posts on the Forum re:16s and 17s:
Both diameters have narrower option tread (215s) and wider option tread (235s). Wider with lower pressure=comfort, narrower with higher pressure=up to 15% better gas milage.

Its always an interesting discussion and in reality, unless we have actually been in someone else’s van with a different set up it is impossible to have a view on ride and handling.

Those who have made changes can easily have confirmation bias and a firmer ride for some is unacceptable in the same way that body roll is for others.

Having owned four Calis over the years with standard suspension, VW sportline springs, 16, 17, 18 and 20 inch wheels I have to say that my current set up if by far the best I have had (notwithstanding any obvious confirmation bias).

It is also by far the most expensive but also most technically advanced having been designed specifically for the vehicle and now supplied by VWVC as a dealer option retaining warranty.

Hi Howie Dog,
What is your current set up btw as I'm considering some changes ?

Cheers, Bob

Eliot, we have had the VB air suspension fitted since new and it has been a very good investment (the best investment).

Remember one thing first - fitting the VB alone does not make your vehicle off road capable. If your objective is to do a lot of extreme off road, will also recommend something like a seikel lift kit etc.

Well, with that out of the way, the VB air fitted to my van (by Ryan at Rosmia) has been fantastic.

Under normal riding conditions, it make the van much more stable and better handling. No more wallowing about on the road or the vague steering. The vehicle drives really well. I can take corners at speed and the van stays planted.

On the motorway, with the vehicle in sport mode, it is a pleasure to drive.

The self levelling is another great feature. A funny thing - recently my wife was cooking when the van was parked on uneven ground. The oil in the pan would drain to one side and she was complaining that she was not able to cook well. One press of a button on the VB air, and the van levelled itself and I got myself a nicely done piece of chicken

The lowest setting, only used it a few times when I had to get under low barriers.

The highest setting, only used it when I had to take the spare wheel out the back. Makes it so much more easier.

Remember there is a max speed restriction when using either the highest or the lowest setting on the suspension.

Overall a great investment I would not be without.

Currently I am running 235/55 R 17 Goodyear's but plan to change over to BFG 225/65/17 before winter.

Any questions, do ask.
Thanks. How much was the VB air, and do you just press one button to level the van?

Thanks. How much was the VB air, and do you just press one button to level the van?
Self levelling is an optional extra with one button press and wait for it to level up.

Tim, best to check with Rosmia on the cost. You should plan in range of 3500 to 4000. Yes, one button, the one that reads Auto Level

1602784319598.png

Tim, best to check with Rosmia on the cost. You should plan in range of 3500 to 4000. Yes, one button, the one that reads Auto Level

View attachment 67884
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is this something that would void VW's warranty (i.e. only get it done once the warranty has expired)?

We've currently got a combi on loan from VW (a T6) with the full sportline kit inc 18" wheels (275 tyres) and lowering springs. It's really quite bouncy and it is very thirsty given it is a 150 DSG. It seems to average 31-32 mpg at 70 on the motorway and i haven't seen any better than 36 yet when driving it very gently. V poor.

View attachment 67884
Mine was over £5,000 in 2017 with all extras.

Autolevel was approx £240 incl VAT

Last edited:
We've currently got a combi on loan from VW (a T6) with the full sportline kit inc 18" wheels (275 tyres) and lowering springs. It's really quite bouncy and it is very thirsty given it is a 150 DSG. It seems to average 31-32 mpg at 70 on the motorway and i haven't seen any better than 36 yet when driving it very gently. V poor.
275 tyre? normally 18" 255 or 235. 20" use 275.

Sorry to be boring and uninteresting in this thread but we have left our van as VW delivered it. Unlowered, as provided tyres and unmapped (150 DSG). The priority is 1) safety, 2) comfort 3) mpg, 4) clean and tidy. Have not driven lowered vans with 17", 18" etc tyres but experience from cars is that lowered = less comfort and 16" gives best ride, more rubber between road and vehicle. Driving style is very gentle (0-60 about 30 seconds), gentle breaking and top speed about 65 and with a gentle driving style roll really is a non issue for us. As an earlier contributed said "it's only a van"! We love ours, it's well looked after, it gets us away to some awesome places and permits comfortable living for 4 weeks, what more do you want? The only thing I might do is go up the one tyre size (when these need changing) allowed according to the information panel inside the driver's door (keeping as delivered alloys) to put a bit more rubber onto the road and drop the tyres pressures a bit. Love the van, love what it allows us to do - it's only a van. Boring but very happy! Rather spend the money on more trips away.

Has anyone fitted these Koni Active as an alternative rear shock absorber to Sachs HD or Bilstein B6s.

1623668821967.png

Back