Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

same price

P

phillme

Vehicle
N/A
im not starting a fight .... promise!
New 150 prob 6 month wait 4motion manual,diff lock, privacy, tow bar, front&rear parking aids and mud flaps .... same price as a 1 year old 10k 180 4motion same spec as above plus awning and maybe 1k of other extras that are most prob nice to have but not essential for me .... hope to keep for 20 yrs .... it has taken me five years to save so not desperate but will loose my vw loyalty if i don't place new order by the end of the month ..... not planning major off road driving but spend a lot of time in the woods so 4motion and diff lock are a must for me .... i prefer the looks of the T5 and like the dash and colour of the inside of the T6 .... never driven a dsg but i would like to think I'm adaptable .... i know what Harry hill would say ... but would prefer some friendly advice please .... thank u x

Best advice I can give is I took the view that it was already a ridiculous amount for me to spend on a vehicle. Cali though for me being recently retired was a life style choice and one I refused to compromise on. All of us have different requirements and it is therefore quite difficult to pick your way through the minefield. Like you my deciding factor on actually placing the order was the VW loyalty bonus and this coincided with my dealer reaching a point where he was happy to give an input on the options. Together we settled on the final package. I also opted the 4 Motion but the 204 and having had the DSG in a Touran for 11 years I chose that as well. Good luck

Mike

I opted for a T5 over a T6 as to be honest I liked the front better plus no wait. The choice is yours. The only thing I would ass would be a sat nav that would have came in the T6 if I ordered it. But not a huge issue as have 3 tom toms lol

I don't know how many of the nearly new T5's are selling at or near to the VERY High prices being advertised. Some on here with 5-10k miles are £4k more than pre reg examples went for from main dealers 3 months ago.
T5 prices obviously have benefited from the extending lead times on T6's, but I wouldn't get drawn in at these levels.

If you wanted a Cali and money is no issue , go for a new orderd T6 and wait for delivery.
You probally not find any demo T6 with the exact spec. you want , and a second hand T5 would be mayby just not good enough if , as it seems , your thoughts already going to a T6

T4WFA .... 47500 not overly sure what the real difference is between t5 & t6 ... roof ? i work with wood so apart from looks I'm a bit of a numpty ;) 180 plus dsg more experience so maybe better ?

T4WFA .... 47500 not overly sure what the real difference is between t5 & t6 ... roof ? i work with wood so apart from looks I'm a bit of a numpty ;) 180 plus dsg more experience so maybe better ?
I'm a tight b'stard so value tends to get put ahead of most other considerations.
Based on value now, and a normal length of ownership (say 5 years) T6 looks better value to me. The premium of a facelift 2010 vs last of the pre facelifts is around £3k minimum and that is based on a circa £30k selling price so 10%.
Their fate over 20 years is a tricky one and has at least as much to do with inflation than residuals!

The major difference apart from looks is the engines. There has been talk of better ride in the T6 although no one has suggested why it might have improved. It maybe the same phenomena that makes your car go faster after it has been washed ;).
If they have sorted the roof corrosion in the move from 5 to 6, then that will make a real difference, but again no facts are available around that.

The 180 is pretty well known now, and apart from the oil burning issue on the earlier ones, seems to be pretty solid. There is always a chance that these brand new engines in the 6 may have issues, so that could influence a decision.

I just wish I'd bought a demo T5 from a dealer when they had their grand clear-out and was now sitting on a £4k+ profit which probably equates to a year's free motoring. They were either told to clear their T5's in a hurry or got squeaky bums when the lead times for the first T6's were (initially) so short.

thanks mate I'm also of the age that money leaving my wallet smarts ! i remember reading you theory on prices awhile back as seems to hold a lot of water .... but trying to put into practice at any dealer i have spoken too about prices on demos have turned me down flat ...

There are a few aesthetic differences bodywise and interior but mainly far more efficient engines with more mpg, less road tax etc. These are new though and might have teething problems/faults in their early years nobody knows but like T4WFA I would go for the T6. Less power but more economy, brand new to your spec and 3 yrs warranty which can be extended unlike the T5's on sale.
You might want to think about an awning, very useful.

thanks Larry ... had a t5 in 2011 with an awning, loved it but felt i was just carrying it about most of the time clunking everytime I hit a pot hole ... the extended warranty sounded really good at first until i read somewhere that it only covers the base van .. i really thought i would get a demo at a good price but they seem to like having them in the show rooms for months on end ....

It's also worth mentioning that the T6 meets the EU6 emission standards and will not fall foul of the new Ultra Low Emission Zones likely to come on stream in the next few years.

would they be dragging their heels on new t6's to keep prices high for their dealers to recoup some of the money they lost as per what t4wfa said ....

the extended warranty sounded really good at first until i read somewhere that it only covers the base van

I rang VWCS to confirm this, but they said it covers the California complete just the same as the 3 year warranty. I asked for them to put it in writing, and they dutifully sent me a letter confirming.

might just be the cherry on the t6 cake .... thanks Angus .. wanted to give u a "informative" as well but it wouldn't let me .... x

Wolfpack ... every time i see your little picture of your g'sheppard it makes me cry .. he sits just like my dog did who sadly died of old age last year .... still gutted but v happy days we spent together ... hope yours brings u as much love as mine did x

Wolfpack ... every time i see your little picture of your g'sheppard it makes me cry .. he sits just like my dog did who sadly died of old age last year .... still gutted but v happy days we spent together ... hope yours brings u as much love as mine did x
phillme, they don't live long enough. My 'wolves' are nine. I worry that they will die before I do. Then I worry that I will die before they do ... Then I just get on with the washing up!
I am just glad you are reminded of happy memories. Best wishes, WolfPack

Back