Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Santander/Barcelona/Valencia/Madrid/Bilbao-17 days

cooky73

cooky73

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
That's the plan for next August - got the ferry booked so would appreciate any advice on nice sites for the two of us...

We’ve been to santander twice camping in tents - before the Cali.
Noja is a nice site about 25 mins off the ferry. It has a nice horse bay/beach accessed from the campsite- we did a lot of body boarding and paddle boarding. Site has swimming pools, restaurants and takeaways.
Bilbao is a great city -we parked fairly easily in the centre and had a great day out at the Guggenheim - eve the kids enjoyed it.
Top tip for Barcelona is a guided tour of Gaudis cathedral and a visit to Noucamp museum.
Madrid was a city we explored on foot - highliwere the royal palaces. We also signed up for a free walking tour which I strongly recommend as a great well to get to know the city.

All in all you have chosen some great destinations and will have an amazing trip.

.:thumb:thumb

We’ve been to santander twice camping in tents - before the Cali.
Noja is a nice site about 25 mins off the ferry. It has a nice horse bay/beach accessed from the campsite- we did a lot of body boarding and paddle boarding. Site has swimming pools, restaurants and takeaways.
Bilbao is a great city -we parked fairly easily in the centre and had a great day out at the Guggenheim - eve the kids enjoyed it.
Top tip for Barcelona is a guided tour of Gaudis cathedral and a visit to Noucamp museum.
Madrid was a city we explored on foot - highliwere the royal palaces. We also signed up for a free walking tour which I strongly recommend as a great well to get to know the city.

All in all you have chosen some great destinations and will have an amazing trip.

.:thumb:thumb
When friends who don't know Barcelona come to visit me, I sign them up for a bike tour of the city. Sometimes I even go along, because the guides are usually very well informed, and at the same time a lot more fun than the usual tour guide.

I have been told that the AP7 (Barcelona - Alicante) toll will be removed in January in a plan to get trucks off the local roads.

Madrid - good for cycling in Parque Juan Carlos I

Valencia - visit old river bed. 10k each direction flat cycling, bike hire available.

About 90 minutes from Bilbao is Navarrete, a gorgeous hill village in the heart of the Rioja region.

800px-Navarrete-2666.jpg

Buy your wine direct from the bodega before heading for the ferry.

Camping Navarrete: perfect for an overnight or two night stop, with pool and bar.

Does anyone know anything about restrictions on driving in Madrid? Think they have a LEZ?

Thanks for the replies so far...

Does anyone know anything about restrictions on driving in Madrid? Think they have a LEZ?

Thanks for the replies so far...

Staying outside the LEZ in Madrid but inside in Barcelona.

I have tried to apply for the 'sticker' but it asks for an image of the V5 to prove the van is Euro 4 or above. Can't see where it says this on my V5?

Also, we are staying at the Hotel 4 Barcelona and was wondering if anyone knows if the van will fit in their underground car park - I've tried searching and asking the hotel as well but got nowhere!

Staying outside the LEZ in Madrid but inside in Barcelona.

I have tried to apply for the 'sticker' but it asks for an image of the V5 to prove the van is Euro 4 or above. Can't see where it says this on my V5?

Also, we are staying at the Hotel 4 Barcelona and was wondering if anyone knows if the van will fit in their underground car park - I've tried searching and asking the hotel as well but got nowhere!
[/QUOTE

On your V5 section 4 Vehicle details number D.2 version (mine reads EURO5)

Mine is blank :mad:

You can get a 'day pass' I think if you can't prove it but just a pain...

I just scanned the V5 (2nd page with all the values on does not specifically state euro 4 but have info on emissions)and sent it however there was a problem with the online form where it says about age. I was told that it would be fixed it would be good to know if you actually mange to submit the form. I tried at the start of March but not since as I was unable to travel to Barcelona due to be restricted to the town I was in due to lockdown. If you have a problem send them a e-mail they reply in English.

Suggest you phone the hotel as hotel staff in Spain are very helpful. When I have phoned hotels they are always helpful. A van in Spanish is "la furgoneta" but VW campervan also works for understanding.

Tried to do it this morning and got this message so I guess it's postponed! Not checked Madrid yet!

1592469601749.png

Is anyone else planing to go to Northern Spain this summer? If ferry is running we are planning to go with our two kids 1 week in Picos and then on to Galicia. Campsites seem to be open. It feels like NSpain will be safer than Cornwall!