Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sardinia Campsite Recommendations

James B 2016

James B 2016

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

We’re off to Sardinia late July. There’s 4 of us including 2 boys aged 4&5. We were in Sardinia for 2 weeks last year as part of a 2 month trip and loved it.

We’re looking for nice campsites on the North Coast. Does anyone have any sites that they’d happily recommend?

Last year we stayed in Area Sosta Camper Paradise Park which was great. It’s near Alghero and a 10 min walk from a beautiful beach. It had a place to buy pizza, fruit veg fruit etc and basic but fine facilities.

We also stayed in Camping Acapulco in Palau. It was a very basic site and very crowded but it was right next to the sea. We had a tiny beach which was 20ft from the California.

Ideally we’re looking for somewhere that is close to a really beautiful beach with some shade. Anything else is a bonus. I’d love to hear some options. Thanks James

We spent a few summers at Camping Capo d’Orso (in our caravan). It is a few miles south of Palau. It Has direct access to a very nice beach with shady camping plots amongst the trees. It is big and busy in the summer and very Italian. There is entertainment which may or may not be your thing. There is also a cafe, restaurant and pizza place.

I think I would recommend it. There were parts that were a bit tatty and the Italians who had been going there for years took over all the best beachfront plots and were rather possessive of them. There was also a saltwater lake on the campsite surrounded by stored caravans which was rather strange.

But with young children access to the beach is great. It is not one of those Caribbean like beaches you get in the Costa Esmeralda but it is sandy and calm and directly accessible from the campsite.

We went there because we could launch our boat from the campsite and motor over to the beaches of the Maddelena islands. We haven’t been for a few years and i believe it is under new ownership so that may have improved things.

They have a website and it’s worth looking at it’s location on google earth.

Thanks Sally. I’ll take a look.

Recently stayed at Campeggio San Teodoro la cinta.
About 20 minutes from Olbia and just off the beach. Lots of electric hook up plots, very shaded as well, good maintained facilities. There is a children's play park and also water sport rental shack next to the beach access. Basic bar with a few snacks and a small shop but next to the entrance is a great restaurant, friendly staff great food and a small park to keep little ones occupied while you wait for the food.
San Teodoro town was great friendly locals and some good cafes and ice cream shops.

Bumping this to see if more recent recommendations. In Sardinia at the moment and not been hugely impressed with the choice of sites so far, compared to what we've had in our trip so far. Want a park and pool for the kids, but not a big mega site. We've had some great recommendations through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and mainland Italy this trip via Cool Camping and ASCI small sites, but Sardinia is drawing a bit of a blank so far.

Hi DDCook. We did find that the Sardinia campsites were more basic than you’d find in mainland Europe and ended up picking an area and then using google maps for the campsites.

Only one additional I’d recommend is campingcalaginepro.net . It is a big site but next to a marine nature park so beautiful beaches. There is no pool but that’s because the sea is so nice there. There is a decent kids park, a good restaurant and shop on site. It’s not exactly what you’re after but I’m not sure finding a small site with a pool and park is going to be easy or possible in Sardinia.

It’s also worth knowing that you need to book for the national park beach as they limit the number of people who can go on them.

Putting some info back here in case it's useful to others in future.
We stayed at 2 places in the south of the island.
La Pineta in Bari Sardo. Nice friendly site, about 80 pitches, good onsite facilities but no pool, about 5 minutes walk from the beach. Pitches quite tightly packed in the trees so some can feel a little claustrophobic, also the trees shed leaves and sap like I've never seen, so choose pitch carefully if you are precious with the van.

Camping Capo Ferrato in Costa Rei. Right on the beach, if you get a seafront pitch it's spectacular, other pitches nothing special and ours was downright rubbish, squashed between holiday bungalows. Site still fairly small but lots of organised entertainment, reasonable restaurant and shop. To be honest I didn't care much for the site itself but the location on the beachfront is great, and the beach itself one of the best I've been to, great for a few days on the beach.

In the north of the island we went to Agriturismo S'Ozzastru near Dorgali which we loved and would come back in a heartbeat. The camping itself is pretty typical agriturismo, no polish, just a sprawling area around the land where you can pitch up, mainly uneven gravel ground. Toilet block is small and basic but clean. The farm also runs a more upmarket hotel/self catering setup on site and has an exceptionally nice pool area high on the hillside overlooking the mountains down to the sea, great snack bar and once a week do a big Sardinian feast. No shop but you can order meat, cheese, wine etc. from the farm.