Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav update

Snowy

Snowy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have 2017Cali with Discover Media satellite navigation system. The SD card is the original card supplied by VW In 2017.
I’m advised that it is updated via the internet from the VW site. I have successfully down loaded the manual onto my Apple computer which has the latest operating system. I have followed the instructions given, but my computer will not allow the VW updated maps program to download. It comes back with a message “Discovercare can’t be opened because it is from an unidentifiable developer”
I have viewed ‘California Chris UTube video and still unable to download the program. I have tried turning off my firewall, but this doesn’t allow the program to download.
Has anybody out there with an Apple computer successfully updated their sat nav card or have any other suggestions I can try.
Thanks

Has anybody out there with an Apple computer successfully updated their sat nav card or have any other suggestions I can try.
Thanks
There is a thread on this @T6 CFO managed it with apple but wasn’t simple. I haven’t bothered yet as seems a faff

I’ve had a look at this feed and it relates getting the download to store onto the SD card. My problem is a bit different. But thanks, all help appreciated

I’ll Have a look. Thanks for update

@AlusonF is quite right it was a faff.

Here’s the link:/

Mike

Hi Mike, I have already followed this very good video. Chris refers to “might have to go to settings to allow program to download” but he does not say how?
I need a computer wizz to explain what I do when I go to settings
Thanks

Sadly I did it on our Mac which i don’t have here and I tend to navigate around and just did it. Can’t recall how.

This sounds right though:-

The long way describes how to do it.

Good luck

Mike

Whatever you do make sure you make a back up.

Mike

I've not read through any of the following thread but there may be some help in it...

If not I am sure there is someone on that forum who can help.

Sadly I did it on our Mac which i don’t have here and I tend to navigate around and just did it. Can’t recall how.

This sounds right though:-

The long way describes how to do it.

Good luck

Mike
Similar instructions from Apple on how to open an app that is being blocked

What I can't understand is why isn't the `SD card upgraded at service by VW ? We tend to use both the sat nav installed (2019) in conjunction with our I phone plus maps ( old fashioned way!) the sat nav is sometimes inaccurate, not that it's an issue at present as we are in self isolation! Yvonne the Cali is standing outside on hook-up with nowhere to go!

Imagine there are 3 customers asking the dealer for an upgrade: depending on what maps you want, it can be up to 14GB. And each SD-card will need a backup, it takes them more than 1 day to update your maps, as they will have to download again everytime. Are you willing to pay, or would you do it yourself for free?

I did my dad's already 4 times (Windows 10) without any issues. It only takes a couple of hours to backup and download.

I did my dad's already 4 times (Windows 10) without any issues. It only takes a couple of hours to backup and download.
dito I have done several updates via windows 10 no issues and it is not rocket science. Just takes a bit of time which we all seem to have bit more of at the moment.

Thanks all for your thoughts, I have spent hours on the computer, even been on chat line to Apple. The final conclusion they (Apple) came to, is to approach VW who write the program. I think I will dig out my old Garmin sat nav, but as none of can go out for a while, I’ll just polish the Cali instead. Far less hassle

Thanks all for your thoughts, I have spent hours on the computer, even been on chat line to Apple. The final conclusion they (Apple) came to, is to approach VW who write the program. I think I will dig out my old Garmin sat nav, but as none of can go out for a while, I’ll just polish the Cali instead. Far less hassle
I assume your Cali has apple play like our T6 Ocean so why not just use google maps. I use it in my Amarok and have to say it is excellent. always up to date with out any hassles. Cheers Mark NZ

And when you do it, make sure you install the right map as we had no nav east of Luxembourg. Waze got us to Munich despite poor 4G in Germany and thankfully a nice VW car dealer helped us out and installed the correct map in 30mins after someone there initially wanted over 100 euros.

@Snowy I have a Mac and have successfully done it before, but it is a hassle,.

Whilst no expert, I am literate when it comes to Macs and OS-X and can normally get stuff sorted. If not, I also can tap into a Mac forum that I’m active on, where the real experts are!! I will try to do the update myself today and see if I can make it work, then report back to you on how it went.

Can you provide the link for the download page you are using, just to ensure we are starting from the same place.

Thanks

I now am in ‘back to the future’ mode, I use a road atlas. Its also more interesting.

I now am in ‘back to the future’ mode, I use a road atlas. Its also more interesting.
That's one of the reasons that I keep the old Microsoft Autoroute working on a lap-top with a GPS receiver. It's getting a bit out of date but I've imported all our POIs (and many others) onto it and find the coverage most useful and interesting. It works as a sat-nav with voice instructions if needed although as both of us are happy map reading the co-pilot usually uses it on silent.

Hi Altrick,
thanks for the update, your link is the one I use.
i think it may be something preventing it down loading on my Apple computer which is now using the latest OS Catalina 10.15.4 which was updated about 2 weeks ago. They may have changed some of the settings which does allow third party apps and programs that run 32 bits now have to transition to 64 bit technology.E7DEB687-0FC9-465B-B8B3-CAF5240CA4F6.jpeg

Hi Altrick,
thanks for the update, your link is the one I use.
i think it may be something preventing it down loading on my Apple computer which is now using the latest OS Catalina 10.15.4 which was updated about 2 weeks ago. They may have changed some of the settings which does allow third party apps and programs that run 32 bits now have to transition to 64 bit technology.View attachment 56728
I think you are correct. If the VW download is not a data file only, but some form of software as well then it has to be 64 bit to function.
Give VW Customer Service a ring. VW are not fulfilling their commitment to provide the SatNav updates. Apple have been moving towards 64 bit only software for about the last 3 years so VW should have been prepared. In fact they may have developed the software. Can’t hurt to ask.

I think you are correct. If the VW download is not a data file only, but some form of software as well then it has to be 64 bit to function.
Give VW Customer Service a ring. VW are not fulfilling their commitment to provide the SatNav updates. Apple have been moving towards 64 bit only software for about the last 3 years so VW should have been prepared. In fact they may have developed the software. Can’t hurt to ask.

I will try when we get back to some normality. Cheers

I will try when we get back to some normality. Cheers
If you want to get an update, Im Sure “Sat Nav Systems” In Chertsey would be able to help out, they can install speed cameras at the same time for a nominal fee. Really helpful guys always perfect customer service.
Pretty sure they will do a postal service In the current climate.

If you want to get an update, Im Sure “Sat Nav Systems” In Chertsey would be able to help out, they can install speed cameras at the same time for a nominal fee. Really helpful guys always perfect customer service.
Pretty sure they will do a postal service In the current climate.
Thanks for that. its always nice to have plan B