Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav - Which One?

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - please can someone recommend a Sat Nav for my California. Currently use Sygic on my phone, but seems to get very hot. Big trip planned to France in the summer.

I use TOMTOM for Android when not using the Google via Appconnect, it does zap the battery somewhat.
Works very well!
..me..

I used Tom Tom's but found they only lasted about 18 months before breaking now use GARMIN

Waze but my phone will always get hot because of the power used to run a satnav and screen.

Crowd sourced traffic data gives some of the most accurate travel time I've found.

Last edited:
I tried Sygic and did not like it that much, but in the preferences are some settings to the battery use of the app which also affects the heating function...

I'm (still) a happy user of Navigon on the iPhone. There is no better interface and it's very accurate.

Hi - please can someone recommend a Sat Nav for my California. Currently use Sygic on my phone, but seems to get very hot. Big trip planned to France in the summer.
Garmin, free map updates. Also free Basecamp software from Garmin that uses your SatNav maps and you can plot routes examine destinations in Google Earth and transfer Destination points to SatNav. Doesn't rely on Phone, just does the job.

I use use Tomtom's, now on my 3rd where all have been model upgrades, not due to failures.
Current one has free lifetime (that's the manufactures product lifetime not how long you have it) map & speed camera updates plus built in sim which means no call charges for live traffic updates. I use it both here and in France. Camera warnings are illegal there but it tells you when you are in a danger zone;) instead.

5100 model bought when being superceded with special cashback & accessories deal included. I would have the 6" version now as the Cali dash has room for a larger display.
I have mine mounted on the airvent grill using the Tomtom vent kit.

Last edited:
Waze for Android Auto will be going into beta testing quite soon for those interested.

..me..
I did read a Motoring Magazine test on Android sat Navs and the Waze came out top.

Told my daughter to try it but forgot about the E on the end of Waze and it had my Grandson in stitches when I said to try the WAZ app. Freudian slip??

Like BJD I also use a TomTom with free map updates, free traffic, etc updates and free speed cameras. I find it very accurate for traffic issues. A few routes are a bit longer than I would use as a local to an area, but generally pretty good. I bought the toughened case for the screen and a padded waist bag to put it into. I haven't had any fail yet, just get upgrades when a good offer comes on. My present model had £50 cashback and free traffic, I saved £50per year for the connection. Sim operates all over Europe.

Off road I use the Motion-X app but for on-road turn by turn I am big fan of TomTom, had many devices right back to version 2.15 that ran on a Compaq iPac with a GPS sleeve (remember those?)

For the last few years I have been using the full app (not the noddy go app) in the iPad and it has been great, but they have just announced that they will no longer be supplying maps or services for it beyond September :(
So I might go back to the new 6200 and mount it in the top cubby with a mod to attach it to the base somehow.
I currently use the apple maps through carplay in the UK as the map data is supplied by TomTom but I like to have my maps offline for when the data signal is not available.

Off road I use the Motion-X app but for on-road turn by turn I am big fan of TomTom, had many devices right back to version 2.15 that ran on a Compaq iPac with a GPS sleeve (remember those?)

For the last few years I have been using the full app (not the noddy go app) in the iPad and it has been great, but they have just announced that they will no longer be supplying maps or services for it beyond September :(
So I might go back to the new 6200 and mount it in the top cubby with a mod to attach it to the base somehow.
I currently use the apple maps through carplay in the UK as the map data is supplied by TomTom but I like to have my maps offline for when the data signal is not available.
First used a laptop with Microsoft Autoroute and a GPS pickup connected to USB. my wife sat with it on her knee (getting hotter & hotter). It had the whole world on it which made street searches interesting.

Our ages are showing.

I got one of those sand weighted holders so I can have it at the front of the dash, but not obscure the windscreen too much. You can then remove it and not leave any indication of one.
Tom Tom sell discs with sticky backs so you can make a place to put the satnav, if you don't mind sticking a disc to your dash.

I got one of those sand weighted holders so I can have it at the front of the dash, but not obscure the windscreen too much. You can then remove it and not leave any indication of one.
Tom Tom sell discs with sticky backs so you can make a place to put the satnav, if you don't mind sticking a disc to your dash.
I was thinking more of a hinge affair so that I can open the top cubby lid and then swing up the tomtom and then close it back down out of sight when not in use.

First used a laptop with Microsoft Autoroute and a GPS pickup connected to USB. my wife sat with it on her knee (getting hotter & hotter). It had the whole world on it which made street searches interesting.

Our ages are showing.

I had the same system on an iPaq. The GPS sender was at the back of the car and the iPaq on a clip fixed to the heater vents. Very useful for avoiding rows with the navigator when we got lost. Moved up through various Tom Toms, 3, all of which are still working including the one I have now.

I just replaced an old Navigon with a Garmin Camper 660LMT-D. I needed a slightly bigger screen and objected to having to pay every year for map updates. I guess as Navigon was purchased by GARMIN I've been "managed" to migrate to the GARMIN brand. It has the ACSI’s Campsite Directory which is fully searchable which has already been a great help. We shall see as the year progresses if it's what I had hoped for.

We have a TomTom (with traffic) plus a couple of older Garmins that we keep in various other family vehicles. The TomTom is pretty good generally but not as immediate to respond as the Garmins. That's not usually a problem but it can be a slight PITA when navigating in complex road layouts, eg linked roundabouts.

I don't know the reason for that, but maybe the TomTom GPS chipset just isn't as good as Garmin's or it has slower read-write to the mapping dataset or poorer antenna sensitivity or even the screen refresh.

On the other hand, I've never compared the quality of routing between the brands, ie which selects the 'best' routes taking into account traffic.

As jabber wonky I have garmin camper 660 mtd. Has lifetime free map updates.
Also use it for work in truck as can set vehicle hight weight etc. Brilliant bit of kit.
Tried copilot & a few others but always end up back with garmin. After sales is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Garmin's "lifetime" updates lasted two years for us. When I queried it I was told that's the lifetime of the unit.

Garmin's "lifetime" updates lasted two years for us. When I queried it I was told that's the lifetime of the unit.
Same for all sat navs, there is always an asterisk on TomTom "Lifetime" statements which states the life of the device.

They don't have much faith in the longevity of their products then. Pity the can't just be honest and just say, "2 years of free updates."

Same for all sat navs, there is always an asterisk on TomTom "Lifetime" statements which states the life of the device.

I've had one of my Tom Tom SatNavs for 5+ years and the map updates for it are still free.
I only replaced it because the traffic updates required a live connection for which they charged me £50+ a year.
I got a new one with free maps & free live connection. They do state the life of the device, but my devices have lasted well. (so far)

I've got a Garmin nuvi that's about 4-years, or older, still updating, and still got the free traffic...
Bought a camper 760 from Garmin for the Cali - monster screen, voice commands that work, and a mount with integrated power connector. Wire needs to be visible for DAB reception for the free traffic - all 'lifetime', and all Europe.
Really don't want to be tied to data for maps, and there is a risk fiddling with your phone - it is a handheld communication device, so even changing settings at traffic lights could earn you six-points...