SatNav when towing a small caravan

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I’m trying to find a satnav that I can use when towing a small Eriba caravan with the Cali.
Any suggestions!

There are a few available. I tried out "copilot" after I saw it reviewed in a caravan publication. We stayed on a couple of difficult-to-get-to sites last year with our Eriba. Copilot was completely useless! It attempted to take me to one site using a route I wouldn't even drive without the caravan. So I've abandoned the idea.

Hi,
We also tow an Eriba, a Nova GL (>7m long) behind our Cali.
We bought a Garmin Camper 660 and it works well for us (I think the 660 has been replaced by the 760 or 780 versions?).
You can use the parameters function to add your caravan and input the overall length of car+caravan etc, this should ensure that the GPS won't send you down the narrowest roads or lanes.
Hope this helps.

Google maps and street view for a look at the potentially difficult places.

Most sat-navs will end up getting you into trouble, even the caravan / trucker / mH dedicated ones.

Nothing beats having a look at a projected route then seeing it for yourself via street view.

Tomtom do a version for HGV's and vans etc. as do Garmin.

An Eriba is low and narrow (compared to normal caravans) so should follow the Cali anywhere that it can go. Just apply a bit more sense in not going down narrow lanes or streets. Especially if there is a sign saying 'Unsuitable for HGV's'.

I have a Aguri which was recommended by one of the camping clubs but it did not work for us. We put in size of tow vehicle and of caravan Eriba. We left it on that setting while not towing and it took us down a road in Devon that was far too small with a caravan attached, not sure I was even happy driving down it in my California. It did tell us to go slower than when set on not towing. It also got a bit lost in Spain, lucky caravan not attached.

As above Eriba is easy to tow with California. I now have a Garmin and not entirely happy with that, I use my old Tom tom in Spain as it is better in towns but I am not towing. Best to plan your route before you go and use Goggle maps to check on complex places. Goggle earth and street view are very useful.

Google maps and street view for a look at the potentially difficult places.

Most sat-navs will end up getting you into trouble, even the caravan / trucker / mH dedicated ones.

Nothing beats having a look at a projected route then seeing it for yourself via street view.
Seems very good advice. It’s going to be mainly for agility competitions and most friends have larger caravans so can give me advice as well.
Need to also work out which service stations are big enough. There’s very little between Tebay and Aberdeen that will accommodate a caravan and my bladder won’t last that long...

Seems very good advice. It’s going to be mainly for agility competitions and most friends have larger caravans so can give me advice as well.
Need to also work out which service stations are big enough. There’s very little between Tebay and Aberdeen that will accommodate a caravan and my bladder won’t last that long...

It's not just the width of the road .... it's looking for turning round points when you have decided that you're sat nav has dropped you in it! :D

It's not just the width of the road .... it's looking for turning round points when you have decided that you're sat nav has dropped you in it! :D
Exactly!!

Pull into a lay-by and use the lav in the caravan.

I might be wrong here but it sounds like towing a caravan is new to
you.
Anyway, i met a guy last year who was giving driver training courses with the caravan
club, it might be worth looking into.
Going forward is the easy bit.

I parked with my caravan once in a Tesco car park away from everyone else then someone parked so close to me I had trouble towing the caravan out. Service station signage for caravan parking is not always good so also could use goggle to look at each service area on route for where to park, and follow the route to it with street view, often with the trucks. Wide lay-by with good views such that you can exit easily are a possibility as you should have your own facilities but look for wide ones otherwise you will feel movement as traffic passes.

Pull into a lay-by and use the lav in the caravan.

I might be wrong here but it sounds like towing a caravan is new to
you.
Anyway, i met a guy last year who was giving driver training courses with the caravan
club, it might be worth looking into.
Going forward is the easy bit.
Yup on the stopping option - but where I’m thinking of storing I have been advised to empty waste before heading home, makes life easier... but still need to check it out.
Towing was new until last year. Something very small gave me a bit more confidence. There is a guy near here who does those courses too. Was already planning on booking one. Thanks for the reminder...
Only just paid a deposit, so have some time, but like to have everything planned or I lie awake at night doing ‘what if’ scenarios...

Yup on the stopping option - but where I’m thinking of storing I have been advised to empty waste before heading home, makes life easier... but still need to check it out.
Towing was new until last year. Something very small gave me a bit more confidence. There is a guy near here who does those courses too. Was already planning on booking one. Thanks for the reminder...
Only just paid a deposit, so have some time, but like to have everything planned or I lie awake at night doing ‘what if’ scenarios...
I did the brief towing lesson at the NEC motor show. I found it really good and if we ever get a caravan, I’ll definitely do the full course. Reversing, especially when everyone is looking and you have no motor mover, takes a fair amount of practice!
I am very jealous, I’d love an Eriba!

Hi Alison when you get your new van try a supermarket car park after 4pm on a Sunday to practice reversing. Taught my daughter a couple of years ago great fun honest!!!

I’m trying to find a satnav that I can use when towing a small Eriba caravan with the Cali.
Any suggestions!
To give you total confidence suggest you bite the bullet and get a hgv sat nav
You can input weight length height width ,restricted roads if towing etc etc
Not quite 100% none are but the best
I am an artic driver and always use
I tow a 7 metre swift 1600kg caravan with our Cali ocean and is the best tow vehicle I’ve had inc r rovers Bmw merc etc.
If you avoid one incident eg a scrape to bodywork then it’s more than paid for itself
Good towing
See you in Spain in June !!

The problem of sending you in small roads, leight bridges, height restricted areas is because of the GPS data. If nothing is specified, they will send a HGV through it. Only if the data is updated with weight, height, or other restrictions (time, ...) then you will have the best navigation.
A lot of navigation data can be adjusted by ourselves. I contribute to OpenStreetMap, and sometimes at Here maps.
The more people join those communities, the better the data.
But then you will have to face the roads in the first place of course.

Any suggestions!

Hello there, just wondering what category of driver's license you have?

My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of an Eriba Touring Troll 530 and have discovered that our Category B license doesn't permit us to tow it with our Beach because the combined weight is greater than 3,500 kg!

Drusilla

With the current hold on driving tests there's nothing that can be done currently to add the +E to a licence.

Definition of what's needed for towing any trailer more than 450kgs with a Cali.

Category B+E Licence
The Category B+E licence lets you use a combination of a category B motor vehicle and a trailer or semi trailer which wouldn’t fit the conditions of category B. The maximum authorised mass of the trailer or semi trailer is 3500kg. Giving you a total maximum authorised mass of 7 tonnes

A Category that I personally was unaware of.

Category B96 Licence
The B96 licence lets you use a car and trailer where your towing vehicle is in category B. The total weight of the trailer exceeds 750kg and the combination of car and trailer is more than 3.5 tonnes but does not exceed 4.25 tonnes.

You'd better go for the B+E. The tests are the same, and you can go higher in total mass.
I wonder why they ever invented the B96. Apart from the extra money you will need to pay to get your B+E if you need more than 4.25 tonnes.

Hello there, just wondering what category of driver's license you have?

My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of an Eriba Touring Troll 530 and have discovered that our Category B license doesn't permit us to tow it with our Beach because the combined weight is greater than 3,500 kg!

Drusilla
Mine shows B through to D1E. I think newer ones are more limited?

Mine shows B through to D1E. I think newer ones are more limited?
If your Driving Test pre dates 1997, I think, it includes the B extension and others. But, when you renew at age 70 the B and other extensions are dropped. You can retain them but have to supply a medical certificate I think.

If your Driving Test pre dates 1997, I think, it includes the B extension and others. But, when you renew at age 70 the B and other extensions are dropped. You can retain them but have to supply a medical certificate I think.
Slight correction-

I had the C1 plus C1E taken off unless I had a medical at age 70. Can have it back with a medical certificate, it would need another medical on the 3 year renewal date etc etc.

The B & B+E remained but now on a 3 year renewal.

I previously dropped my CE licence category as this required an annual medical plus driver CPC courses if I was to drive for commercial reasons, not cost effective if not driving HGV's on a regular basis for payment.

A guide to categories

Back