Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland and Ben Nevis in Feb half term

Silverlight

Silverlight

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are planning our first adventure- with two adults, two children, two dogs- for the February half term. A particular wish of mine is to go to Ben Nevis although I know we wouldn’t be able to do much with dogs and children (ages 7&9). We are frequent walkers but not mountaineers! Does anyone have any other cold weather, child friendly suggestions for the Ben Nevis area?

We would be heading north via Glasgow and the A82 - does the A82 ever/ frequently close due to snow? What about Ballachulish Bridge?

I’m afraid to say we’ve never been further north than Edinburgh before as our local exploring takes us around the south coast, and so any advice would be really appreciated.

We are planning our first adventure- with two adults, two children, two dogs- for the February half term. A particular wish of mine is to go to Ben Nevis although I know we wouldn’t be able to do much with dogs and children (ages 7&9). We are frequent walkers but not mountaineers! Does anyone have any other cold weather, child friendly suggestions for the Ben Nevis area?

We would be heading north via Glasgow and the A82 - does the A82 ever/ frequently close due to snow? What about Ballachulish Bridge?

I’m afraid to say we’ve never been further north than Edinburgh before as our local exploring takes us around the south coast, and so any advice would be really appreciated.
Winter mountaineering in Scotland at that time of year is a serious undertaking. To go high you will need crampons and an ice axe, and know how to use them! There is always a risk of avalanche, outdoor shops will have an avalanche forecast sign on their doors. You will also need to know how to navigate in whiteout conditions.

Glenmore Lodge in Aviemore offers winter mountaineering courses for adults and children, and I think that they have a smaller centre in Glencoe. I'd advise your taking one of their two day courses before venturing high in Scotland without a guide.

1580374967563.png
Ben Nevis Summit February 2003

1580375295953.png
Am Bodach February 2004 (Ben Nevis in the background)

Last edited:
Not sure I'd take on Ben Nevis in Feb...
We did it later in the year a couple of years ago and were fortunate to be blessed with a heatwave in Scotland. Not sure that'll happen again!
Think I'd leave it to later in the year if I was you but the walk up Ben Nevis is a fantastic day if you get the weather right.

February can be the worst weather month of the year up here and even low level roads, never mind hills, can get closed with snow, although this year, there has not been much (yet)...
There are good, if not much better than Ben Nevis, winter walks which you could do with kids & dogs but you really must have a good knowledge, equipment and understand your whole families capabilities and not be afraid to cancel should weather close in.
Daylight hours can still be short and a lot of hills do not have obvious tracks to follow.
Fort William has plenty to offer with skiing (snow permitting!), gondola rides up Aonach Mor (weekends only until April), plenty shops and pubs and has a nice vibe to it. There is Neptunes Staircase canal locks at Banavie, Glen Coe & Glen Finnan not far away and Loch Ness (via Fort Agustus & Dores on the South road) to Inverness.
The road from Glasgow via Connel Bridge up the coast is scenic and avoids Glen Coe if really wintery, meeting up at Ballachulish (bridge no problem in winter).
Consider something like Ben Lomond East of Loch Lomond or Schiehallion near Pitlochry as a good winter walk for yourselves, far less danger (still weather dependant) and with great views (also weather dependant!) over Rannoch area... Much easier to travel there and possibly more low level things to do / see as alternatives, and there are good hillwalking choices too.

Last edited:

February weather can be highly variable in Scotland but I am sure that is no surprise. Some ideas for you, if you are passing through Glencoe on the A82 you will be passing the ski centre, they do a great family sledge run on the mountain with access by the chair lift, good fun in the snow, you will have to leave the dogs in the van however. They have a number of EHU's showers and toilets so a possible overnight stop. Good walks onto part of the West Highland Way also from here. Glen Nevis is just outside Fort William a good centre for eating out and shopping, swimming pool for rainy days. Glen Nevis campsite is open all year with a great pub restaurant close by. At the Nevis Range ski central you can also take the telecabin up the mountain (with dogs) to access play in the snow, big bar restaurant at the top, great views. For child friendly walks have a look at the Walk Highland website, lots of info and maps showing shorter walks there.

Gosh, I didn't think you'd been up here Tom?

You do know what Bodach means in gaelic? :D
From my limited knowledge of Scotting Mountain names, probably something like the "pap" of Glencoe or the "point" in the Devil's Point, mis-translated by John Brown when Queen Victoria asked him what the mountain's name meant (The Devil's Cock).

From my limited knowledge of Scotting Mountain names, probably something like the "pap" of Glencoe or the "point" in the Devil's Point, mis-translated by John Brown when Queen Victoria asked him what the mountain's name meant (The Devil's Cock).
Haha, that's 'bod', 'bodach' means an old grey man, lout or untrustworthy person... I'm not suggesting that's you tho...

Nothing beats going up the mountains especially Torridon and Glencoe areas. Used to run up both Ben Nevis and Ben Lomond is the races. Going up no problem - coming down was sore.

Gosh, I didn't think you'd been up here Tom?
Between 1998 and 2012 I was a teacher, single, no kids, with mortgage paid off and 13 weeks holiday a year. In that time I probably climbed somewhere between 50 and 100 Munros, spending a week in Scotland most February and most May/June half terms.

Notable incidents include lowering by rope a friend who had dislocated a shoulder on the Horns of Ben Alligin, and another walking companion falling down Cat Gulley on An Stac (Ben Lawers) in whiteout conditions. She fell into a snow drift and was unharmed, but we had to navigate off the hill by the quickest route.

I have completed a six day Mountain Leadership Course. A year later I failed the three day assessment on the bit most people find easiest - rope work. I scramble but I don’t climb.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. Amarillo - love the photos! Spectacular! The 2003 photo looks more like Antarctica!

We are thinking that the May half term might be better a better time for a first trip to Scotland?! We might stick a bit closer to home this February!

Maybe a helpful point to remember for winter walks: just because you've started up, you are under no obligation or pressure to continue if the weather and circumstances are not favorable. Even high peaks can have rewarding and safe routes at their lower altitudes. That said, mountains in winter require knowledge, experience, and above all, respect.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. Amarillo - love the photos! Spectacular! The 2003 photo looks more like Antarctica!

We are thinking that the May half term might be better a better time for a first trip to Scotland?! We might stick a bit closer to home this February!
If you do go in May I’d highly recommend theJacobite steam train from Fort William to Mallaig - especially if your kids love Harry Potter as it is themed as the train to Hogwarts and goes over the viaduct used in the films

That first photo wasn't Ben Nevis at all, it was the Cairn Gorm weather station (silly me!); it was my first day ever using crampons and ice axe.

I think that May is a much better time to visit Fort William with children of 7 and 9. It is just at the beginning of the midge season, so it shouldn't be too bad. If you are happy to drive and walk a bit, you can find glorious empty sandy beaches.

An expedition up Ben Nevis is still a big undertaking, and you would all need strong walking boots and spare clothing even on the hottest day.

Beaches in the Arisaig vicinity
The steam train to Mallaig (think Harry Potter)
Ski-ing on the Nevis Range (if cold enough)
Sunbathing (if warm enough, last Feb it was 18C in glen nevis)
mountain biking in the forest behind fort william
Walking up the tourist track to the Summit of Ben nevis (if weather like last year!)
Walking up to the waterfalls at the top of Glen Nevis
Ice Climbing at the indoor climbing centre in Kinlochleven
Trip out to Ardnamurchan/ Ardgour

I went up Ben Nevis in July, encountered hail, snow and about 6 feet of visibility with wind that tried to blow you over the edge. The weather changes in minutes and needs to be given the utmost respect and care.

The Deer come down out of the hills/mountains in winter for a reason.

That first photo wasn't Ben Nevis at all, it was the Cairn Gorm weather station (silly me!); it was my first day ever using crampons and ice axe.

I think that May is a much better time to visit Fort William with children of 7 and 9. It is just at the beginning of the midge season, so it shouldn't be too bad. If you are happy to drive and walk a bit, you can find glorious empty sandy beaches.

An expedition up Ben Nevis is still a big undertaking, and you would all need strong walking boots and spare clothing even on the hottest day.

I thought I didn't recognise that aerial structure in the background!

Agree that May onwards would be much better with children - even then, as others have said, the weather can be treacherous. And even in good conditions, and with good equipment, unexpected things can happen. My trip to Ben Nevis last summer didn't go entirely to plan - I fell on the North Face path, and broke my tib and fib, so my son had to abandon his ascent via the CMD Arete route, within less than 200m of the summit of Carn Mor Dearg! (We had aimed to meet up at the Half Way Lochan and wild camp there). Lochaber Mountain Rescue and the Coastguard helicopter crew were excellent, as was the NHS.

Anyway - I would recommend the Fort William section of the West Highland Way for great views of the Ben, and it's much less crowded in summer.

Wow! The kids watched the first couple of Harry Potter’s this Christmas and are hooked so I think that will be a must!

Glen Nevis site a good spot if it’s open, will be at Easter but not sure about Feb

Steall Falls and the Nevis Gorge.

At the VERY end of Glen Nevis there's parking.
Then a 2 mile walk to Steall Falls and an interesting rope bridge (through Nevis Gorge).
Care needed in the Gorge in three or four places.
About 1 1/2 hours some of it fairly strenuous. [I'm 74 with a CABGx3, MobitzII and a pacemaker :thumb]
Visibility not a problem, nor wet but not in ice or lying snow.

Probably too late for your plans?
If not good luck.
It rains a lot in the glen.

Steall Falls and the Nevis Gorge.

At the VERY end of Glen Nevis there's parking.
Then a 2 mile walk to Steall Falls and an interesting rope bridge (through Nevis Gorge).
Care needed in the Gorge in three or four places.
About 1 1/2 hours some of it fairly strenuous. [I'm 74 with a CABGx3, MobitzII and a pacemaker :thumb]
Visibility not a problem, nor wet but not in ice or lying snow.

Probably too late for your plans?
If not good luck.
It rains a lot in the glen.

Not too late at all as we will be going for May half term. I have found out so much from this thread already and this sounds a good and manageable option.