Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland for kids (aged 6 and 4)

Rupes

Rupes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

We're planning a trip to Scotland in the May half term (probably our first proper trip away in our elusive Cali).

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for places to go which the kids will really enjoy? Beaches and Castles generally tend to go down well. Wildlife and outdoor activities are also of interest.

We're no strangers to Scotland but we haven't really taken the kids there before (other than to Edinburgh).

We would also welcome any campsite recommendations.

The trip is a complete blank canvas at the moment so interested in any part of Scotland although the far north and islands may be a bit too far - don't want to over-do the driving.

Sorry if the question is too open ended.

Thanks

Aviemore is a great place for family's, Glenmore camp site next to loch Morlich is a great place to stay. Canadian Canoe hire and mountain bikes available next to camp site. Eating out within walking distance at Glenmore Lodge. Landmark Centre just north of Aviemore is a must, you can spend a whole day here, kids will love it. We take our grandchildren every year, they love it, ages 9 to 5.

North Berwick for beaches and an island covered with puffins (Tantallon site is lovely and has a playground). Easy train access to Edinburgh. Tantallon castle. The Law is an easy fun walk.

Also St Andrews but sites are not as nice - fun to go over to Isle of May from Anstruther - check for puffins

As above, Glenmore....must go to Inshraich Nursery for tea and cakes - very yummy and if you eat in the potting shed out the back, there are lots of squirrels and birds up close that are attracted by the nursery putting lots of feeders in the trees which overhang the shed - great fun...don't count the calories!

Isle of Mull - not too far, ferry crossing considerably cheaper than it used to be and adds to the adventure?

In my opinion, it's got a bit of everything for a family - plenty to see and do, especially if you're into nature/wildlife. I can thoroughly recommend a sea-fishing trip too - doesn't matter if you've never fished before, pulling in your line with 3 (or often more!) mackerel hooked on is exciting/fun for all ages (tasty and healthy eating too).

Isle of Mull - not too far, ferry crossing considerably cheaper than it used to be and adds to the adventure?

In my opinion, it's got a bit of everything for a family - plenty to see and do, especially if you're into nature/wildlife. I can thoroughly recommend a sea-fishing trip too - doesn't matter if you've never fished before, pulling in your line with 3 (or often more!) mackerel hooked on is exciting/fun for all ages (tasty and healthy eating too).
And of course Balamory :)

As above, Glenmore....must go to Inshraich Nursery for tea and cakes - very yummy and if you eat in the potting shed out the back, there are lots of squirrels and birds up close that are attracted by the nursery putting lots of feeders in the trees which overhang the shed - great fun...don't count the calories!

Colleague told me about this place long windy road in. When you get there you can almost touch the red squirrels. Nice cake too.

..me..

Agree on Aviemore esp with kids that age - Glenmore good but watch woodland pitches as muddy sometimes. Also a bit of a PITA if you want to do stuff as its a drive anywhere. But great location. Playhouse at Coylumbridge good in wet wx, as is pool in the centre. Oban good, Nth Ledaig site good if a bit CC miltant ! Blair Atholl brilliant for kids as well, great site. HTH.

Thanks - some great suggestions. I think I have a plan forming...

We camped (in a tent) at Tantallon - North Berwick last year and definitely want to go back with our Cali. The motorhome field there seems far better than the tent field in terms of views. It would make a good first night stopping place.

Then from there up to Aviemore (stopping at Blair Athol) on the way. There seems to be plenty to amuse the whole family there for a few days then maybe wind our way back via the East Coast - Lunan bay, St Andrews, Anstruther.

We've never done the East of Scotland before so that will probably suit this trip nicely.

I do love the Western Isles and have an idea to do a bigger island-hopping trip next year when we have a bit more time.

If you're doing East Coast then Crathes Castle (near Banchory on A93) has a play park, nice woodland walks and a lovely cafe.
There is a CC site near Banchory - but others along deeside too.
Then you also have Balmoral nearby. Braemar is lovely - again nice cafes but maybe not so much for younger children.

Sounds like a good plan. We have been all over Scotland with the kids (they're all at Uni now). Avimore is definitely a good base. Lots to do. There's some good off-road cycling if the kids like that and Cairngorm if you want a ride in the funicular (pricey). The Landmark centre is a great day-out. We spent most of the day there looking for red squirrels. Highland Wildlife Park is also a great day out.

Thanks - some great suggestions. I think I have a plan forming...

We camped (in a tent) at Tantallon - North Berwick last year and definitely want to go back with our Cali. The motorhome field there seems far better than the tent field in terms of views. It would make a good first night stopping place.

Then from there up to Aviemore (stopping at Blair Athol) on the way. There seems to be plenty to amuse the whole family there for a few days then maybe wind our way back via the East Coast - Lunan bay, St Andrews, Anstruther.

We've never done the East of Scotland before so that will probably suit this trip nicely.

I do love the Western Isles and have an idea to do a bigger island-hopping trip next year when we have a bit more time.

Lauder CCC site is a nice good stop off place but not a whole lot for kids to do. There is a big playing field on site for activities. Brian and Helen will give you a warm welcome !