Scotland grand tour

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
heading north this week in my beach on its first big trip. the main plan is have no plan but I have to have some sort of plan so in my head it's loch lomond. Isle of skye. north coast 500. Applecross. ullapool. orkney islands. back via cairngorms and about 17 days. any tips?and of course I will post some pics

Love it - have a great trip. Lots of wild camping opportunities in the far north. The road to Applecross is the highest in the U.K. I cycled it in my youth. Love to give it another go.

If you've never been to the Edinburgh Festival then consider a couple of nights ther on the way back. Biggest arts festival in the world. Something for everyone. But don't expect it to be peaceful! Camping available at the show ground.

I reckon I'll Google that. cheers.

Skye in particular will be pretty busy in August. But the roads get a lot quieter once you get north of there (even so, the NC500 route is getting very popular). As you have 17 days you could take the opportunity to hop out to the Outer Hebrides, which are like a different world.

(Although even with 17 days, Scotland is a very big place.)

In general, suggest you stay on the coast as far as possible (and keep moving!) to reduce your midge exposure. :Nailbiting :eek:

heading north this week in my beach on its first big trip. the main plan is have no plan but I have to have some sort of plan so in my head it's loch lomond. Isle of skye. north coast 500. Applecross. ullapool. orkney islands. back via cairngorms and about 17 days. any tips?and of course I will post some pics
This link might come in handy https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

If you are in to seeing dolphins, I recommend Rosemarkie on the Moray Firth (just north of Inverness). Wonderful bay with C&CC site sited on the waterfront next to the village. Been there twice now as you can walk down the beach to the lighthouse and the dolphins come right in to the shoreline when the tide come in and you also can see seals. Have a great trip!

here's. the only wildlife I'm not looking good forward to are the midges. experienced them in galloway earlier this year and came home looking like a bee keepers apprentice

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sad
Did the north coast 500 last year. Brilliant trip, what I'd do next time:
1. Stay / camp longer on the beach at Applecross
2. Spend more time in the Summer Isles (there's a great cafe there called Salt)
3 Hike out and camp on the beach at Sandwood Bay
4 not bother with the east coast leg of the nc500

If you plan to eat out in the evening then definitely book ahead if you can- the good ones get booked up early.

+1 for that. To make the NC500 a loop means it incorporates a lot of miles of nice but not completely memorable roadage on the north east coast. Practically all of the west coast leg is stunning, however.

If you decided to 'cut the corner', the road across the centre of Sutherland, the A836 via Altnaharra, is a lovely drive across the almost deserted interior of the north.

might get the ferry from orkney to Aberdeen. that would cut a big East coast bit out. cheers for the tip. and here's me enjoying the Scottish summer

20170728_180536.jpg

red squirrel camp site glencoe. trying to dry some stuff out

20170728_195146.jpg

Did the north coast 500 last year. Brilliant trip, what I'd do next time:
1. Stay / camp longer on the beach at Applecross
2. Spend more time in the Summer Isles (there's a great cafe there called Salt)
3 Hike out and camp on the beach at Sandwood Bay

If you plan to eat out in the evening then definitely book ahead if you can- the good ones get booked up early.
I was at applecross a few weeks back and they have blocked off vehicles getting on to the beach front to wild camp now! There's a little layby for about two vehicles now guess the campsite kicked up enough of a fuss to get it closed off.

Probably more people camping up, staying ages & leaving a mess. That's why they introduced restrictions around Loch Lomond & Tiree. The human waste was a health hazard.

If you have time don't forget the Fife coast. Lovely villages and the chippy in Anstruther is to die for. The Elie Chain Walk is something different and worth doing. Watch the tide though. East coast less midgy as well
Have fun

Last edited:
East coast should be explored too. Cairngorms Park now are are promoting the ski roads as a tour destination and certainly wortth exploring. Plenty wild camp opportunities there or stop by the Glenlivet Estate Cafe for overnight camp spot with toilets and showers freely available.

Deeside - all the villages there are well worth a stop. Stunning wallks and bike rides in the area (and great cafes too!)

Feel free to message for any more details

I was at applecross a few weeks back and they have blocked off vehicles getting on to the beach front to wild camp now! There's a little layby for about two vehicles now guess the campsite kicked up enough of a fuss to get it closed off.
Shame we have had a few people comment how amazing this place is and that we should make plans to go there.

We are planning a trip in September straight after the Stratford meet, we are planning West coast only, not much interest in the NC500 in that respect. My experience from many years ago is that all the best views tended to be west side.

The increased traffic, especially the big white motorhomes sometimes in convoys, are spoiling it for the rest who are sensible. My friends in Ross- Shire and Sutherland ( Borgie /Tongue area) have moaned about litter and much worse from the vast increase in visitors due to the NC500. It seems some of the forestry areas may also become person non grata.Discretion and low profile seems to be the order of the day.

The litter and thoughtlessness seems to be a growing theme in the UK. I saw the threads about Loch Lomond and the people literally pitching camp and leaving everything when they leave tents and all.

I often take litter away that wasn't even mine, shame a growing number of selfish folks will spoil it for all.