Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland in July

F

Finn Bruun

Guest User
I visit Scotland in May 2019 and have no problem to find a campsite (driving VW California). Will it be a Challenge in July 2021 to find available campsites?
BR

I expect that NC 500 will be crouded, but is it the case for Scotland in generally ?
I’m sure if youre happy to do just one or two days on a campsite and move on and not fussed where you will find ones. Just expect the tourist hotspots to be rammed.

I visit Scotland in May 2019 and have no problem to find a campsite (driving VW California). Will it be a Challenge in July 2021 to find available campsites?
BR

Depending on what sort of site you are after, it might be worth you joining the Caravan & Motorhome Club. You can then book on line with no deposit & change your booking up to 72 hours before your stay.

You will save the joining fee in cheaper pitch fees after a couple of days.

Their sites are always clean with decent showers etc & you know they will be of a good standard if somewhat regimented.

You don't need to be a member to look on their site caravanclub.co.uk and see site details, current availability & book as a guest.

Depending on what sort of site you are after, it might be worth you joining the Caravan & Motorhome Club. You can then book on line with no deposit & change your booking up to 72 hours before your stay.

Their sites are always clean with decent showers etc & you know they will be of a good standard if somewhat regimented.

You don't need to be a member to look on their site caravanclub.co.uk and see site details, current availability & book as a guest.
Similar with the Camping and Caravanning Club. Maybe worth looking at or joining both to give more options.

Many seem to be taking Scotland as a holiday destination instead of Europe Mainland plus many Scots are having staycations. Result will be probably virtually impossible to go without a prior booking(s)

BR
Would strongly suggest booking if visiting the popular tourist locations. The Scottish schools will be on holiday and many will not travel abroad this year. The camping and caravan club have lots of CL sites which may be worthwhile checking. Hope you have a great time.

Got busy in the last week or so up here.
NC500 only one option, lots more to see. Many Aries have opened, they are like CL facilities

Well, I am planning on going to do the NC500 in two weeks so...maybe if schools are not on holidays might be less busy...one only can hope....

Would strongly suggest booking if visiting the popular tourist locations. The Scottish schools will be on holiday and many will not travel abroad this year. The camping and caravan club have lots of CL sites which may be worthwhile checking. Hope you have a great time.
Please, provide the link to the website for the camping and caravan club.

Please, provide the link to the website for the the camping and caravan club.

Please, provide the link to the website for the the camping and caravan club.
and the Caravan and Motorhome Club:

Many seem to be taking Scotland as a holiday destination instead of Europe Mainland plus many Scots are having staycations. Result will be probably virtually impossible to go without a prior booking(s)
Fort William today Ben Nevis holiday park.
Just about full for this weekend and judging by Glasgow/Edinburgh accents the Scots are staycationing in numbers.
Bertie felt a bit of a minority amongst the great whites and a brace of Grand California’s
Def recommend both CCC, and CMH clubs and pitchup.com for instant availability check for area you are interested in .

658A1FD4-B33A-40ED-85DE-4103D04F2010.jpeg

33DD1A38-803C-4E59-8CFC-39570B4BD0A3.jpeg

F8652C8E-A8E3-4A55-8842-5B4B6E045DCF.jpeg

Thanks for all valuable feedbacks
We will take the risk and come to Scotland in July
Most of our stays on campsites will only be for one or two nights and we will also use wildcamping as an option - and avoid the most popular tourist areas.
We will continue our trip to Ireland in August, where the campsite situation properly will be the same as in Scotland ?
BR Finn

Good luck. I would not go near Scotland in July - midges - school holidays - and with staycations the norm this year I would expect it to be extra busy. All the best with your travels.

Thanks for all valuable feedbacks
We will take the risk and come to Scotland in July
Most of our stays on campsites will only be for one or two nights and we will also use wildcamping as an option - and avoid the most popular tourist areas.
We will continue our trip to Ireland in August, where the campsite situation properly will be the same as in Scotland ?
BR Finn
Tomintoul have about 12 pitches at there local bowling green, electric hook up and loo/fresh water available. It’s on a first come bases.
Very basic and it’s a honesty aire set up £10/£12 night.
Lovely area to explore (snow roads, balmoral castle, braemar, dark sky site).
Glenlivet bike park has 24hr loo and lets campers stay over night £3 too if you get stuck

I guess one thing to bear in mind is that Scotland isn't just the NW Highlands (as nice as they are) or the NC500 and so it might be worth looking at other areas which are also worth visiting - eg:

Dumfries and Galloway (eg, Solway Firth coast)
Scottish Borders,
Kintyre Peninsula
Black Isle & the Moray Coast
Deeside
East Neuk of Fife

There are others and even these areas may well be busier than normal (July is the peak Scottish school holiday period even before you take Covid holidays at home into account) they will probably be under less pressure than the North West and the Western Isles.

Well, I am planning on going to do the NC500 in two weeks so...maybe if schools are not on holidays might be less busy...one only can hope....
Scottish School Holiday period June 25th to August 12th.

I guess one thing to bear in mind is that Scotland isn't just the NW Highlands (as nice as they are) or the NC500 and so it might be worth looking at other areas which are also worth visiting - eg:

Dumfries and Galloway (eg, Solway Firth coast)
Scottish Borders,
Kintyre Peninsula
Black Isle & the Moray Coast
Deeside
East Neuk of Fife

There are others and even these areas may well be busier than normal (July is the peak Scottish school holiday period even before you take Covid holidays at home into account) they will probably be under less pressure than the North West and the Western Isles.
So true, we know all of the areas you’ve mentioned, been to most more than once, they are all beautiful.
Fife for example is a lovely destination.

FF5A67A7-D950-4163-9F5A-29049E32C8E5.jpeg

93068F8A-97AF-4DD6-B151-4AE5533D98A5.jpeg

9A738D09-0F7E-4679-918C-304991C9E03F.jpeg

394E404C-E38E-44DA-8207-B5E3CECCB271.jpeg

8F4B3495-5CF3-4BD8-89A4-A9BF96B5F846.jpeg

007DDE92-AB4C-4855-8826-4F8701BB2EB9.jpeg

F002E3E1-1F6D-425F-B8EE-22C0FF29721D.jpeg

ands a free full card giving 4p per litre off at Esso stations.