Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland September trip 2020

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Re-planning my 2020 trip (Originally France) . Looking at Scotland from 11-9-20 to 23-9-20.
Looks like quite a few members have already been up this year . My plan is stopover en route , then on to climb Ben Nevis , (Glen Nevis site )then out to Skye followed by NC500 and then home .
Originally thought i could "wing it " as i go (normally what i do ) , but now thinking Scotland is going to be busy with motorhomes so thinking of organising my trip in advance . :(
Anyone else recently done anything similar and can recommend campsites and places of interest . Trying to space out sites , but still give myself time to visit places as well as take in the views . Had a quick look at sites today and have been shocked how many are not available , hence trying to organise asap now . Thanks.

Re-planning my 2020 trip (Originally France) . Looking at Scotland from 11-9-20 to 23-9-20.
Looks like quite a few members have already been up this year . My plan is stopover en route , then on to climb Ben Nevis , (Glen Nevis site )then out to Skye followed by NC500 and then home .
Originally thought i could "wing it " as i go (normally what i do ) , but now thinking Scotland is going to be busy with motorhomes so thinking of organising my trip in advance . :(
Anyone else recently done anything similar and can recommend campsites and places of interest . Trying to space out sites , but still give myself time to visit places as well as take in the views . Had a quick look at sites today and have been shocked how many are not available , hence trying to organise asap now . Thanks.
September looks busier than August!!

Yup, lots of sites close to booked out for September already. NC500 as usual very busy. I’m thinking that ‘wild’ camping might decrease a bit but still a lot of folk doing it.

I thought that same, schools go back, things will get quieter. It seems not :(
And i note your local ! You must be really un-impressed with us all heading for Scotland !(Well hopefully if i can sort out campsites with showers /wc and electric for the boss !)......Not that i want to ,but for once Cornwall is much easier to go to in September !

And i note your local ! You must be really un-impressed with us all heading for Scotland !(Well hopefully if i can sort out campsites with showers /wc and electric for the boss !)......Not that i want to ,but for once Cornwall is much easier to go to in September !
Haha, I cant complain, I was down at a couple of different sites in Englandshire last week

Although yes, leave Scotland for us locals ;)

If the NC 500 is busy it will be a nightmare. Last year the local police had to remove several inconsiderate drivers from it, refusing to back up, speeding etc. The year before a group of Italian white motorhomers (not a problem this year I guess) kept clogging the route and were eventually removed. Spring and late Autumn are great, no midges and few people.

Haha, I cant complain, I was down at a couple of different sites in Englandshire last week

Although yes, leave Scotland for us locals ;)
Straight back at you buddy !;) Now i have to find a good route and campsites ...... the challenge has been set :)

I’m just about to head up, so will let you know how busy it is.
I’ve done Nevis and nc500 so won’t be going there.
Have family in Perth so stealth camping around Glenshee and Cairngorms and popping back to Perth to empty loo and fill tanks for free whenever needed.
Just stay away from main tourist traps and you will be fine.

I’m just about to head up, so will let you know how busy it is.
I’ve done Nevis and nc500 so won’t be going there.
Have family in Perth so stealth camping around Glenshee and Cairngorms and popping back to Perth to empty loo and fill tanks for free whenever needed.
Just stay away from main tourist traps and you will be fine.
I'm also going up there for 3 weeks mid September ie NC 500 but in reverse east coast first! Hope the midges have gone by then.

Anyway you have a great time and stay safe,

I'm also going up there for 3 weeks mid September ie NC 500 but in reverse east coast first! Hope the midges have gone by then.

Anyway you have a great time and stay safe,
Have you pre booked sites or finding as you go or wild camping ?

Have you pre booked sites or finding as you go or wild camping ?
Yes all sites booked, did it just as lockdown happened, but not confirmed until they reopened mid July. That was lucky.

Yes all sites booked, did it just as lockdown happened, but not confirmed until they reopened mid July. That was lucky.
Just trying to plan a few sites now and shocked by how few have availability . Any recommendations around NC500 or West Coast ?

Just trying to plan a few sites now and shocked by how few have availability . Any recommendations around NC500 or West Coast ?
Never been before so just picked a few at nice locations, Dunnet,Durness,Suourie,Lochinver,Dornoch, and Ullapool. When you going.

Never been before so just picked a few at nice locations, Dunnet,Durness,Suourie,Lochinver,Dornoch, and Ullapool. When you going.
Cheers for that ....we leave kent 11th September .
Plan at moment is Gretna -Loch lomond -Glen Nevis -possibly Loch Ness -Ardmair Point -durness with return on east to decide then Newcastle and home .............. but struggling on dates of loch lomond so all might change .....still trying to put the plan together although i hate pre booking as normally see how day goes and then find nearest site , but unfortunately this looks impossible this year . Might see you on the loop .

Cheers for that ....we leave kent 11th September .
Plan at moment is Gretna -Loch lomond -Glen Nevis -possibly Loch Ness -Ardmair Point -durness with return on east to decide then Newcastle and home .............. but struggling on dates of loch lomond so all might change .....still trying to put the plan together although i hate pre booking as normally see how day goes and then find nearest site , but unfortunately this looks impossible this year . Might see you on the loop .
Like the idea of just moving on when you feel like it but as you say not this year. Anyway have fun.

What is the midge situation likely to be in September? Are there better and worse areas for midges in September?

Thanks in advance.

If there’s no wind then can be awful on the west coast. I remember get attacked for the first hour or so when hiking Ben Nevis and that was a very sunny September.
They only come out to play at dusk and dawn, just pedal or run fast and you will be fine:Nailbiting:thumb

What is the midge situation likely to be in September? Are there better and worse areas for midges in September?

Thanks in advance.
I had one midge free trip in late september a few years back, the snow kept them away!!

Hi

Currently sat on the side of loch Alsh on Ardelve camp site. Basic but fab views of loch Alsh.

10 minutes from Skye and 15 quid a night. No need to book call ahead a couple of days.

Going to Applecross today to drive Balach Na Ba. 20200826_171850.jpg

Hi

Currently sat on the side of loch Alsh on Ardelve camp site. Basic but fab views of loch Alsh.

10 minutes from Skye and 15 quid a night. No need to book call ahead a couple of days.

Going to Applecross today to drive Balach Na Ba. View attachment 65093
Hi Karlos, please let me know how you get on your journey to Applecross

Hi Karlos, please let me know how you get on your journey to Applecross

Hi Breeze1
It was very quiet, more motorbikes than anything else.

Pub in Applecross is by booking only but they have an Airstream doing hot food and drinks.

Stopped at a couple of vantage points on the Applecross coastal road which were full of rubbish with one area used as a toilet. Totally disgusting and awful to see.

You coming up here in your grand.

Hi Breeze1

Pub in Applecross is by booking only but they have an Airstream doing hot food and drinks.

Stopped at a couple of vantage points on the Applecross coastal road which were full of rubbish with one area used as a toilet. Totally disgusting and awful to see.

Hi Breeze1

Bad news about the crap. Very disappointing but heard it before.

Yep coming up mid September for 3 weeks.

Take care