Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland this (2019/20) winter

bvddobb

bvddobb

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We have some 10 days end of December, beginning of January, and we were thinking to do the NC500, hoping that in mid winter it will not be so crowded as in high season.

No doubt all campsites will be closed, then. We were wondering:
  • will there be enough pubs open to do a Britstop tour?
  • can we get enough drinking water, and can we easily dispose of waste water, if we do a wild camp tour?
  • is wild camping allowed in Scotland?

Visitscotland.com has a section on wild camping under the accomodation and camping page. With a downloadable page explaining what’s allowed...

Thanks! Very clear info!
We did the NC500 in a T5.1 panel van (was going to do a self fit out) in 2013 before it was called the 500, ok it was in September. Nearly every village on route had a toilet block near the main bus stop I seem to remember, they had a tap, were always open and clean.

Locals did not seem to mind us empting our Elson down the loo as long as we left them clean, also buy stuff in the local shops and pubs, put something back not just the contents of the loo ;)

Visitscotland.com has a section on wild camping under the accomodation and camping page. With a downloadable page explaining what’s allowed...

Be aware that wild camping in that sense refers to camping with a tent and generally moving under your own steam e.g. on foot, cycle, canoe etc. i.e 'backpacking' in the outdoors tradition.
The Scottish Outdoor Access Code doesn't include motor vehicles.

There's a webpage here with more info regarding campervans:
https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/camping/campervans

That said, if you're sensible about where you park up, and follow the principles of the Access Code even though you're in a van, it shouldn't be too difficult to "wild camp" up there. Whenever we go to Scotland we generally only go on a site every third or fourth night to replenish water and empty our loo. It is harder to find places to do that in winter but there are a few.

Anyone know any campsites specifically that are open in winter, they can recommend?

Watching this.
I have 3 weeks off this Christmas because of the way the holidays fall and was wondering about 5 days up in Scotland around Applecross.
Again, I’m guessing there will be no sites open and limited local facilities open such as sports centres etc

We did the NC500 mid October this year. Did not wild camp, instead used designated sites...a mix of C&CC and C&MH. Generally good facilities, but most advertised that they closed end October.

Found many locations where it would be feasible to wild camp off the main road at picnic locations, natural attraction sites, scenic spot sites with their own parking.

Also noticed that some of the roads had snow barriers ready to be used that would prevent further travel on the NC500.

Okay here's one to get you started: Port a Bhaigh campsite, at Achiltibuie about 25 miles north of Ullapool. Lovely coastal campsite open all year, excellent showers etc, and a very good bar/pub just next door (An Fueran bar).

To your question about pubs/Bristops, no there aren't very many pubs around the NC500, or in the Scottish Highlands generally. Most of the area is very sparsely populated.

However don't let that put you off, you will find places to eat/drink and park up for the night, just stay flexible. In the winter months no-one is going to mind you stopping overnight in 'informal' locations like down at small harbours etc.

Okay here's one to get you started: Port a Bhaigh campsite, at Achiltibuie about 25 miles north of Ullapool. Lovely coastal campsite open all year, excellent showers etc, and a very good bar/pub just next door (An Fueran bar).

To your question about pubs/Bristops, no there aren't very many pubs around the NC500, or in the Scottish Highlands generally. Most of the area is very sparsely populated.

However don't let that put you off, you will find places to eat/drink and park up for the night, just stay flexible. In the winter months no-one is going to mind you stopping overnight in 'informal' locations like down at small harbours etc.

Just to add to what others have said ...

Port a Bhaigh campsite is wonderful and the am Furan bar opposite is lovely. Catriona is amazing with her hospitality both on the campsite and in the bar.

The Belach na ba (applecross peninsular), one of the finest roads in Scotland, is routinely closed in winter at the first sign of bad weather.

However, the Drumbeg road with the absence of summer traffic more than makes up for it.

An amazing trip.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Velma's Dad , that one is on our list, now!

The Belach na ba (applecross peninsular), one of the finest roads in Scotland, is routinely closed in winter at the first sign of bad weather.
That pass is only 600m high, and close to the sea! How much snow can there be? What sissy's are they, those Scots, to close that road in winter? :D

However, the Drumbeg road with the absence of summer traffic more than makes up for it.
Thanks, @GrannyJen , that will go on our list as well!

We have, like we have done for more destinations, been maintaining an 'inspiration map' for Scotland. Drives we might like, places to visit, places to stay.

We have had a look at scottishcamping.com, looking for campings that are open all year round. We listed them as blue tents on our map. There seem to be a whole lot of them!
But does anyone know how reliable the data on that site are? When checking some individual sites that, according to scottishcamping.com, are open all year round, we found that the actual site's website said they were closed Nov through March...

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-03 om 21.43.29.png

Thanks, @Velma's Dad , that one is on our list, now!

That pass is only 600m high, and close to the sea! How much snow can there be? What sissy's are they, those Scots, to close that road in winter? :D

I was truly upset to find it closed although the place does have some history for me. Torridon area is climbers country and Applecross is a place very busy for those involved in mountain rescue. Compared to say the Alps the Scottish mountains are relatively low but they can have some of the most changeable and squally weather imaginable, especially on the North west coast where I personally have left a bothy at 4am with crisp hard ice underfoot and by 11 am I could be having a picnic wearing base layers only were it not for the avalanche danger.

A couple of pics: The first is the Drumbeg road, not a good place to have to call out VW assist, as I had to 10 minutes after the pic was taken :shocked The second is looking towards Torridon (looking North) from Tornapress just before the Bealach na ba junction. I was on my way to Applecross to indulge in a wave of emotional nostalgia reliving a few memories of a dear friend sadly killed in a climbing accident.
drumbeg1.jpgtorridon.jpg

#onelifeliveit #ignorestupidrules #wildcamp #enjoylife #snowtyres :)

If you do FB there is a group called SMWC, Scottish motorhome wild campers. If you join that group you get get access to the group map that shows all the wild and official camping sites. You should also see lots about the NC500 that may be useful.

600m in Scotland is like 2000m in the Alps. Scots aren't sissys, they try to look out for people who don't understand the power of nature. @GrannyJen knows what she's talking about. Applecross in July with less that 1m of visibility in fog with wind that makes you crawl on all fours if you get out for a walk is nothing compared to winter, which is why they close the road.

If you do FB there is a group called SMWC, Scottish motorhome wild campers. If you join that group you get get access to the group map that shows all the wild and official camping sites. You should also see lots about the NC500 that may be useful.
We used the Park4night app for wild camping in Scotland. It proved excellent and up to the minute accurate.

Thanks @sbmcd , good tip! We have applied for membership there (haven't heard back yet, though).

From there we also found an NC500 group and in there a .pdf with campsites that were open last winter, so a good start to search for this winter! We have attached it here.

We used the Park4night app for wild camping in Scotland. It proved excellent and up to the minute accurate.
Thanks @clarinetbcn , we know and use that app as well! And the campercontact app. Both have an off line mode, which is great for remote areas without network where Google Maps search is of no use.

Attachments

• Scottish Campsites Open During The Winter.pdf
    495.6 KB · Views: 77
To your question about pubs/Bristops, no there aren't very many pubs around the NC500, or in the Scottish Highlands generally.
This picture from the Britstops website doesn’t look so bad, though. We decided to give it a try and joined!

BEFF6926-BA6C-474F-8EDB-143EA506693D.png

I was truly upset to find it closed although the place does have some history for me. Torridon area is climbers country and Applecross is a place very busy for those involved in mountain rescue. Compared to say the Alps the Scottish mountains are relatively low but they can have some of the most changeable and squally weather imaginable, especially on the North west coast where I personally have left a bothy at 4am with crisp hard ice underfoot and by 11 am I could be having a picnic wearing base layers only were it not for the avalanche danger.

A couple of pics: The first is the Drumbeg road, not a good place to have to call out VW assist, as I had to 10 minutes after the pic was taken :shocked The second is looking towards Torridon (looking North) from Tornapress just before the Bealach na ba junction. I was on my way to Applecross to indulge in a wave of emotional nostalgia reliving a few memories of a dear friend sadly killed in a climbing accident.
View attachment 52318

Such a cracking picture. I must get there at some point...

Here's another :thumb for Port a Bhaigh Campsite. It wasn't very busy in early March this year but all the facilities were open and there is cracking food in the pub across the road.View attachment 52372View attachment 52373
My icon is whilst we were on this site in Easter 2018. Pub food is good. This snap is taken a couple of days later on the way out of Applecross

3AD52ACA-47D9-40D6-83C1-11C0DE524721.jpeg