Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scottish Cali Meet, 28-29 March 2015

Ewan

Ewan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Stuart (sbcmd) and I are organising another Scottish Cali owners' meet on 28-29 March 2015. At last year's meet we agreed it would be better to make a weekend of it rather than just meet up for lunch, so the aim this year is to have an overnight at a campsite with a half decent pub within walking distance, then to organise an outdoor activity for those who are interested (eg walking, mountain biking) for the Sunday.

We've got three possible locations - can you let us know which venue you'd prefer ?

Glencoe - InverCoe campsite and The Glencoe Gathering pub nearby. Lots of walks and hills nearby.

Cairngorms - Glenmore Campsite at Loch Morlich and Glenmore Lodge for pub grub nearby. Great for hiking and biking.

Deeside - Braemar Campsite, food/pubs in close proximity. Great for hiking and biking.

Any preferences for outdoor activities just so we have an indication ?

All Forum members very welcome.

Glenmore (Aviemore) or Invercauld (Braemar) are ideal from my point of view. Have done a bit of walking and MTB'ing at both. :cool

Hi Ewan, as a Cali virgin and 'waiter' i would certainly be interested in coming along to meet evryone and gain from your joint experiences of the foibles and fitments of the cali. The two more northerly locations would be prefered. All being well our van will be here by then.

Hi,
Would like to come if we are free - would prefer the Glencoe site but happy with either of the others.
Regards
John and GIll

Sounds good...would love to attend my 1st choice would be Glencoe then Glenmore so i guess that leaves Deeside for last. MTB...Munro's ect

Hi Ewan, thanks for organising, we'd love to come too. Any of the locations are fine for us though our off road cycling achievements are tracks like the ones around Rothiemurchus and Loch Morlich, rather than serious MTBiking. Again, happy to do a bit of hill walking but nothing too serious.
David and Linda

Wouldn't mind popping along to,ended up buying a t5 conversion,still not seen a California yet in the flesh.cool to hook up if I'm free?

Thanks everyone - seems we're on track for a good turnout which is great :clap Looks like there's a narrow preference for Glenmore so far.

It would be great to see as many folks as possible, including those new and prospective owners. I should have added that anyone from further afield is welcome to travel up for the weekend (ie you don't need to be Scottish to attend !!).

Given it'll be a mixed crowd I suggest any activities should be reasonably gentle and not too serious !

Hi
I'm a prospective owner and would love to meet up for a chat. When will you be firming up on the venue? I'm all set to book B&B for Glencoe - I'll be coming up from the north-east of England.

Glenmore is a good choice and will definitely be there. As well as the lodge there is also a new pub in the cafe next to the campsite. There should also be skiing on Cairngorm at that time of year so yet another activity to consider. Interestingly we saw quite a few other cali's parked in the ski area car park over this new year but not sure if they were staying overnight. For those interested the snow is still a bit limited at the moment and we are waiting for the winter storms to fill the gullies.

Anyone going with small kids ? We have a 2yr old and are keen to attend, second 4motion Cali having had one in NZ and moved back to UK last year.

Glenmore sounds good, great choice of cycling and walking from the campsite, also benefit of fire on the beach with glass of wine after dinner, I will bring the wood.

If the conditions are right we will stay for at least a couple of nights hopefully get some skiing in. But you never know at this time of year in Scotland, maybe kayaking if it is warm.

It sounds as though there's a clear preference for Glenmore. It's a great site and as Stuart says, there are few places with walking, cycling and skiing right on the doorstep.

Deccauk - you can stay at either Glenmore Lodge (which I've done myself) or the Cairngorm Lodge Hostel. Both are just a short walk from the site.

NZCol - I'm not aware (so far) of any others bringing children but don't let that stop you ...

Sorry we can't make these dates but will try to catch up later in the year.

Sorry to hear you can't make it, Anne. It might be nice to organise an Autumn meet for Sept/Oct this year too.

Sorry can't make those dates as away skiing in France, but do keep us posted for events later in the year

Martin

Being a typical grippy Scot are you aware that the glenmore campsite is one of the most expensive in Scotland.However if that is the chosen site I am sure my snowboard will get an outing.my California is currently injured but I am sure the bandages will be off by the
end of February.

fitzhatt said:
Being a typical grippy Scot are you aware that the glenmore campsite is one of the most expensive in Scotland.However if that is the chosen site I am sure my snowboard will get an outing.my California is currently injured but I am sure the bandages will be off by the
end of February.

Expensive? a bit more than most but we were trying to choose somewhere that would offer lots of opportunities for doing outdoor stuff which its location certainly allows. Normally I'd just camp up at the ski centre bottom car park but that may not suit everyone. Do bring your board, if there is decent snow we will have our skis.

Thanks Martin - but I can't see where I need to sign up to the event on the calendar page ?

The details look fine. I guess most people will plan to stay on the Saturday night, with Sunday night optional. I'll phone the campsite to ask about group bookings and if we can have a 'reserved' area.

It would be good to have people register for the event but for the life of me I can't see how to do this. Clicking the the link just brings up the event page with the map and event timings etc. is registering possible ?

Hi everyone,

I phoned Glenmore campsite but unfortunately, since they don't have marked pitches they're unable to reserve an area for us - so I guess we should just try to spot others and camp nearby.

It's advisable to book directly on the web or by phone (02476 423008) - can you all please do that yourselves ? Glenmore campsite, Scotland - Camping in the forest Depending on snow conditions they could be busy so I'd book soonish.

The basic price for one night (1 van, 2 people) is £15.00 for a non-electric pitch. Electricity's an extra £5.50 and C&CC club members get a £2.25 saving. (It's quite a bit cheaper off-season!).

I guess most people will stay overnight on Sat 28th March but of course you could stay longer. Glenmore Lodge (5 mins walk away) serves good bar meals and welcomes non-residents.
Lochain Bar | Glenmore Lodge

So so far I reckon we have coming:

Me
Stuart (SBCMD)
Normg
BobCat01
John & Gill (Saunders2104)
Speedtrip
David & Linda (Looby)
Willox
Deccauk
KenM
NZCol
Fitzhatt​

That's a great turnout ! Anyone else is more than welcome - just let us know.