Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scuba Diving - Tips and Advice

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’ve just started diving in the U.K. with my daughter and would like to discover new places that I can pitch up with my van for the night and then dive from the next day.

Whilst we are Yorkshire based, it would be good to learn about the whole of the U.K. so future holidays can be planned.

I’d also like to hear about how you store and dry kit in the van and any accessories you’ve bought that make diving from your van easier.

What are the best dive sites that you have visited and what have you seen

Do you take your own tanks or do you rent them from clubs whilst away?

Which dive clubs do you use whilst away? Safety is a big factor for me.

Thank you

I’d look for a local BSAC club and join them. If you are PADI qualified they may well make you start again with your training as diving in cold UK waters is a lot different to diving abroad.

I’d look for a local BSAC club and join them. If you are PADI qualified they may well make you start again with your training as diving in cold UK waters is a lot different to diving abroad.
I’ve got a good club thanks. Tim at https://diveshack.uk.com is awesome. He managed to source a dry suit for my 10 year old daughter for her dry suit course. I’ve been certified 19 years incl. dry suit certification. This is more thinking further afield in the U.K.

Stoney Cove in the midlands, no idea if you could camp though.

Shore diving - Thornwick Day off Flamborough. But I think you may have lost the vis for the year now. Eyemouth is good. Weasel Loch. If you get into deeper wrecks - then Yorkshire has plenty... but needs to be done from a boat with a competent bunch.

Stoney Cove in the midlands, no idea if you could camp though.
Just the thought of Stony Cove makes me feel cold! Many cold days spent there doing drills. And watching free flowing regulators.

Searchforsites suggests you can park on the harbour at St Abb’s and pay The harbourmaster.

Shore diving - Thornwick Day off Flamborough. But I think you may have lost the vis for the year now. Eyemouth is good. Weasel Loch. If you get into deeper wrecks - then Yorkshire has plenty... but needs to be done from a boat with a competent bunch.
Flamborough is definitely on my list. My daughter and I were at the RSPB centre on the cliff this summer looking down and both of us said ‘wow ... would love to dive there’

Searchforsites suggests you can park on the harbour at St Abb’s and pay The harbourmaster.
Camping on the harbour in a California would be awesome. Will definitely look that up.

Just the thought of Stony Cove makes me feel cold! Many cold days spent there doing drills. And watching free flowing regulators.
I still have flashbacks to Capernwray 15 years ago and having a dry suit that was too baggy. Spent most of my time upside down with air in my legs. We were camping and my tent blew down in a storm. I would have loved to have had my van then.

Capernwray would have been my recommendation for inland diving, we much preferred it to Stoney Cove.

I still have flashbacks to Capernwray 15 years ago and having a dry suit that was too baggy. Spent most of my time upside down with air in my legs. We were camping and my tent blew down in a storm. I would have loved to have had my van then.
I haven’t dived ‘properly’ for quite a few years just occasionally when on holiday now but started on BSAC (pre’88) naval tables. Most of my Diving UK based originally and many weekends spent in Bovisand in Plymouth.
Lots of good diving in Cornwall for wrecks.
There was (is?) a static van site at Bovisand but options around Plymouth and also down by the Lizard. Porthkerris divers.
Two favourite UK dives are The Eddystone lighthouse if it is clear and calm but a long boat ride in a RIB if it’s lumpy. The Farne’s my other.
Scapa is worth a trip at least once.
Used to camp for dive trips and seen a few tents destroyed and similarly would have loved the Cali then. Not used the Cali for diving so can’t help with that side of things although bike/towel rack useful as are the wind out awning arms for hanging wetsuits (Once rinsed free of salt water)
I have always hired tanks from who ever I have dived with, rather than bought my own but usually boat dive.

I love diving from the Cali, especially shore diving. There are very many places good for shore diving in the UK. All the stuff about it being rubbish diving slash freezing cold is wrong.

Eyemouth is excellent. You can indeed park overnight in St Abbs harbour. Porthkerris in Cornwall, Babbacombe in Devon. Many many places in Scotland. Google Earth is very useful.

I use a roof box for suits, fins and a few other bulky and damp but light items. All the other gear goes in a large “really useful box” in the boot (shelf on high setting) with weight belts and tanks next to it (it all fits, just).

www.undersea-images.com

Flamborough is definitely on my list. My daughter and I were at the RSPB centre on the cliff this summer looking down and both of us said ‘wow ... would love to dive there’
Hi,
I have dived for many many years at Flamborough head and now live there.
It is possible to shore dive at all the bays, Thornwick, North Landing, Selwicks bay (Lighthouse) and South Landing, but a word of caution! Apart from it being quite ardous getting to the water in the first place, the tides are absolutely horrendous. Slack water fine, but be very careful at any other time.
Visibility is also another issue ranging from pea soup to 'almost' mediterranean.
On a good day (settled light westerlies and neap high waters) it can be some of the best diving anywhere (I'm biased I know).
You have probably missed the boat this year for decent vis but October can occasionally be nice.
There are local camp sites but definitely no overnight parking in the local car parks.
Hope this helps but if you want any further info let me know.

Not sure about now, but when I were a lad... you could dive under the bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale, in the river at Appletreewick... Flamborough - see above - good advice. Try to connect up with a club on the coast https://www.ssacdiver.co.uk or https://www.facebook.com/groups/169948799853131 (South Bay Scuba). Both active. Both have access to compressors for air - and Scarborough Sub Aqua club has an amazing clubhouse in the old town.

I dive on the south coast. Most accessible is Portland/Weymouth/Swanage, Lots of places to camp nearby too. And dive shops with tank rentals, etc.

Haven’t dived for over 25 years, but St Kilda was fantastic. Difficult access for the Cali though

I’d need to turn my van into a flying boat to get there

I bet it’s pristine diving though @johna & @mickmull

Back